Thread: How Can America Recover From Donald Trump?

How Can America Recover From Donald Trump?

How Can America Recover From Donald Trump?

Donald Trump is heading to November like a certain zeppelin heading to New Jersey, in a darkening sky that crackles with electricity. He is fighting crosswinds and trying new tacks — hiring the head of Breitbart News to run his campaign, trying on a new emotion (regret) in a speech on Thursday night, promising to talk more this week about immigration, his prime subject. There’s still no telling what will happen when the gasbag reaches the mooring.

It could be that the polls are right, and Mr. Trump will go down in flames. But while that will solve an immediate problem, a larger one will remain. The message of hatred and paranoia that is inciting millions of voters will outlast the messenger. The toxic effects of Trumpism will have to be addressed.

The most obvious damage has already been done — to the debate over immigration, a subject that is America’s pride but that can also show the country at its worst. Mr. Trump’s solution is to build an unbuildable border wall and force 11 million people out of the country, while letting millions of “good ones” back in. Or maybe not — now he says he wants to bar immigrants from most of the world, except for a few who pass religious and ideological tests. “Extreme vetting,” he calls it, bringing the Alien and Sedition Acts and McCarthyism into the reality-TV age.

Yes, Mr. Trump speaks frontier gibberish. Outright nativism remains a fringe American phenomenon. But there is no shortage of mainstream politicians who have endorsed his message by endorsing the Republican nominee. Anyone hoping to build a serious solution to immigration after this election will have to confront the unworkable ideas and vicious emotions that Mr. Trump, with many enablers, has dragged into the open.

It seems like a century ago, but it was only 2001 when a Republican president, George W. Bush, began talking about a once-in-a-generation overhaul of the outdated American immigration laws. He sought a bipartisan consensus to boost the economy and make millions right with the law. Then came 9/11. Though sensible immigration reform gained the broad support of the American public, legislation in Congress repeatedly failed, ambushed by hard-core Republican partisans.

This year brought the fever dream of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, where speaker after speaker presented a vision of foreigners stealing across the border to rob, rape and kill. Cued by Mr. Trump, they scapegoated immigrants and refugees in general and Latinos and Muslims in particular. The crowd cheered for Sheriff Joe Arpaio, brutalizer of Arizona Latinos, and Rudolph Giuliani, who hollered about terrorists and criminals as if running for mayor of Gotham City.

It’s no wonder that the nativists are feeling inspired, the bigots emboldened. The white supremacist David Duke is running for the Senate. Stephen Bannon, Breitbart’s chief purveyor of conspiracy theories and anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant venom, is the natural ally of a candidate who hints that President Obama is a secret Muslim and who insists that Muslims in New Jersey danced by the thousands as the towers fell on 9/11.

Optimists, eyes on the polls, hope that Mr. Trump, in losing, will discredit these views and that Republicans next year will sue for peace. Under this scenario Hillary Clinton and Paul Ryan or whoever is running Congress will move fast to push forward a rational immigration reform bill.

Remember, though, the post-mortem that found Republicans chastened after the more genteel nativism of the 2012 Mitt Romney campaign. The last vestiges of that contrition vanished as Mr. Trump, warning about Mexican rapists, vaulted atop the polls.

Trump supporters have now been promised a nation where non-natives, and their children, are locked outside the borders forever. They have been promised, inside a new wall, new factories where everyone will build things, speak only English and be rich. What will happen when they learn that none of this is real?

The challenge to responsible leaders of any political party will be to separate the economic discontent from the bigotry and paranoia that are the key to the Trump phenomenon. The question to future Republican leaders is whether they will even try to do so.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/op...ald-trump.html
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This isn't news. It's opinion.

Trumpkins will blame the GOP establishment, the media, the alignment of the stars, secret Muslim/Mexican/Joo infiltrators - whatever.

Other GOPers will rationally blame Trump and Trumpkins.

I hope this mutual animosity will cause an exodus/purge of Trumpkins from the GOP.

If they stay, they'll be much less influential, but we'll still have to deal with them - monkeyfucking our primaries for years to come.

....I'm sure the Dems will do everything possible to encourage them to stay.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

America started it's drastic descent in August of 1971 and has been falling ever since. When I read pieces like this, I have to chuckle. America is going down with or without Donald Trump, though he may buy us some time.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Trumpkins will blame the GOP establishment, the media, the alignment of the stars, secret Muslim/Mexican/Joo infiltrators - whatever.

Other GOPers will rationally blame Trump and Trumpkins.

I hope this mutual animosity will cause an exodus/purge of Trumpkins from the GOP.

If they stay, they'll be much less influential, but we'll still have to deal with them - monkeyfucking our primaries for years to come.

....I'm sure the Dems will do everything possible to encourage them to stay.
    Since the Trumpkins have been ruling the GOP with an iron fist for years. LOL I don't know where this deep seeded hate is coming from, but you should probably save it for the real enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This isn't news. It's opinion.
    Technically, it's an editorial. From a very large media outlet.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I'm sure that there are all kinds of ointments on the market for treating SJW/neocon establishment butt-agony.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    America started it's drastic descent in August of 1971 and has been falling ever since. When I read pieces like this, I have to chuckle. America is going down with or without Donald Trump, though he may buy us some time.
    Proof positive that the influx of non-whites is responsible for America's decline, amiright?

An overwhelmingly white electorate would never have elected somebody like Nixon...

...well, except for the fact that they did.

...and LBJ and FDR and Wilson.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually, I'd say 1861, 1913, and 1963 were the US descents into hell.
    There is no spoon.

Proof positive that the influx of non-whites is responsible for America's decline, amiright?

An overwhelmingly white electorate would never have elected somebody like Nixon...

...and LBJ and FDR and Wilson and...
    Whoa. Slow down. Non-whites didn't destroy the country, but they represent the final nails in the coffin so to speak after decades of complacency and decadence. The non-whites are akin to the barbarian tribes that took down the Roman Empire after Rome rotted internally. It's the same phenomenon. They are coming to pick the carcass clean and once things get really bad, they'll move to another host.

...and LBJ and FDR and Wilson.
    Just double up on however you usually treat your SJW butt-agony.

I don't know where this deep seeded hate is coming from, but you should probably save it for the real enemy.
    It's coming from the fact that Trump is a status quo wolf in outsider clothing, misdirecting righteous anger into a cul-de-sac.

...Trump:whites::Sharpton:blacks

Only when his play-fight is finished can actual reformers get back to the business of actually fighting the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Actually, I'd say 1861, 1913, and 1963 were the US descents into hell.
    True, but August '71 sent the credit fix into overdrive and facilitated a dependency on bubbles. It was like removing the brake pads from a car.

Last edited by AuH20; 08-20-2016 at 09:32 PM.

It's coming from the fact that Trump is a status quo wolf in outsider clothing, misdirecting righteous anger into a cul-de-sac.

...Trump:whites::Sharpton:blacks

Only when his play-fight is finished can actual reformers get back to the business of actually fighting the establishment.
    Well, that is still to be determined. You could be correct, but the act has not concluded. Self-preservation along with a love of family can make a man do strange things.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-20-2016 at 09:33 PM.

//

Whoa. Slow down. Non-whites didn't destroy the country, but they represent the final nails in the coffin so to speak after decades of complacency and decadence. The non-whites are akin to the barbarian tribes that took down the Roman Empire after Rome rotted internally. It's the same phenomenon. They are coming to pick the carcass clean and once things get really bad, they'll move to another host.
    The point is that whites electing such garbage as Wilson, FDR, LBJ, and Nixon makes nonsense of your fear of importing non-white voters.

....and of your plan to support a guy who endorses the policies of the aforementioned garbage in the name of whitening the electorate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The point is that whites electing such garbage as Wilson, FDR, LBJ, and Nixon makes nonsense of your fear of importing non-white voters.

....and of your plan to support a guy who endorses all of the terrible policies of the aforementioned garbage in the name of whitening the electorate.
    All true. Whites created this horrific empire of debt and deceit.

However, non-white voters as well as European whites (see Scandinavians) add to the problem due to their cultural imprint, which is inherently anti-liberty based. Poll after poll shows this.

Importing non-white voters with no natural assimilation model in place and no real check on our generous welfare state is national suicide. That's where we are today. I disagree with you.

As much as I abhor white america for all it's sins, the third world is not going to improve things here. Maybe in another era and maybe if the government was 1/1000th of it's size. But not in the current state.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-20-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Well, that is still to be determined.
    Anyone who's taken an honest look at his record has already made that determination.

There is no important part of the federal leviathan that he opposes; many important parts he explicitly endorses.

/story

However, non-white voters as well as European whites (see Scandinavians) add to the problem due to their cultural imprint, which is inherently anti-liberty based. Poll after poll shows this.
    Polls also show that a vast majority of Americans think it's essential for Congress to cut spending.

I don't care how they poll, I want to know how they vote.

As much as I abhor white america for all it's sins, the third world is not going to improve things here.
    Nor will it make things worse.

You know what will make things worse? Electing people like Trump who won't even try to shrink government.

True, but August '71 sent the credit fix into overdrive and facilitated a dependency on bubbles. It was like removing the brake pads from a car.
    True- but no way it could have happened w/o 1913.
    There is no spoon.

Importing non-white voters with no natural assimilation model in place and no real check on our generous welfare state is national suicide. That's where we are today. I disagree with you.

As much as I abhor white america for all it's sins, the third world is not going to improve things here. Maybe in another era and maybe if the government was 1/1000th of it's size. But not in the current state.
    Best I can tell , overall . that is correct about the Scandinavians. Duds for sure.