Thread: Utahns launch mission to give Earth's moon a proper name

Utahns launch mission to give Earth's moon a proper name

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/...me.html?pg=all

It all started on a moonlit drive.

The moon was full and particularly brilliant, and Tawni Henderson and her companions took notice. As they drove, Henderson shared something she had read on the web, that Earth's moon is named after its astronomical classification, unlike other planets' moons, which have names.

"We're just like, 'Let's try to name the moon,'" she said.

Next thing she knew, a small group of friends and family had developed a website encouraging a movement to name the moon. The website received more than 1,500 suggested names from 30 countries, 4,100 responses and counting.

“Other moons in the solar system have names like Ganymede, Titan, Bianca and Belinda, and they’re the same names in every language. The most beautiful moon in the solar system, our moon — which is currently named after its classification — also deserves one unique name," she said.

The effort, Henderson says, has entered a new phase, so to speak — voting on a name among the top 12 candidates. They include Moon, Diana, Solo, Kai, Lani, Luna, Olea, EONS, Pax, Selene, Skywalker and Theia. Votes are being taken at namethemoon.world.

"It's just one of those things. We wanted to have a lot of fun with it. And we have had a lot of fun with it so far," she said.

After the votes are tabulated, the group plans to submit a petition to the International Astronomical Union for consideration.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn't it already Luna?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Isn't it already Luna?
    no that's just Moon in latin
    we should rename Earth to
    I once read a sci fi book where a theme was that all species in the galaxy named their planets some form of "dirt"
    and after finding this out usually changed it to something else
    except us lol

No need for change

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Isn't it already Luna?
    no that's just Moon in latin
    That's still its name, though - and not because "moon" is just a plain, generic descriptor. In fact, because Earth only has one satellite, "Moon" is such a compelling "brand name" that we call other planetary satellites "moons."

It's like calling tissues Kleenex ... or photocopies Xeroxes ... or gelatins Jell-O ...

we should rename Earth too
    Moon = Luna
    Earth = Terra

I once read a sci fi book where a theme was that all species in the galaxy named their planets some form of "dirt"
    and after finding this out usually changed it to something else
    except us lol
    LOL. Well, that's what it is, isn't it? (And what about species that aren't dirt-centric? After all, intelligent aquatic creatures might very well name their planets some form of "water.")

Ain't nothing wrong with Moon/Luna and Earth/Terra. If it ain't broke, don't fix it ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I agree with Occam on this, but I can't help but think naming our moon Skywalker would be pretty badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    snip...
    gee I guess I should have added "/sarc" to this, would have thought the whole lets change Earths name cause of a sci fi book would have been enough

btw I doubt an aquatic species will ever advance because they will never discover fire
    without fire no metallurgy or alchemy
    without that no engineering or chemistry or any of the higher sciences
    look at whales, giant brains just float around singing all day
    Last edited by CaseyJones; 08-16-2016 at 01:59 PM.

gee I guess I should have added "/sarc" to this, would have thought the whole lets change Earths name cause of a sci fi book would have been enough

btw I doubt an aquatic species will ever advance because they will never discover fire
    without fire no metallurgy or alchemy
    without that no engineering or chemistry or any of the higher sciences
    look at whales, giant brains just float around singing all day
    Gee, u mad, bro? Maybe you should forget sarc tags and just take a pill ...

Apparently, my "LOL" in echo to your "LOL," my use of a silly word like "dirt-centric," and my use of casual informality like "ain't" was not sufficient to the occasion.

I apologize for so rudely daring to comment on anything you said.

(EDIT: And if you really want to go there, a species being technologically advanced and a species being intelligent enough to have words for concepts are not the same thing. Advanced technology is contingent upon intelligence, not the other way around.)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-16-2016 at 05:17 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    M-o-o-n is pronounced Tom Cullen.
    Earth is Earth.
    And Pluto's a frickin' planet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Gee, u mad, bro?
    no? maybe it's you taking stuff to seriously.. psst it's the internet

I apologize for commenting on your post. It won't happen again.
    k whatever

no? maybe it's you taking stuff to seriously.. psst it's the internet
    Pot, kettle.

Pot, kettle.
    I thought you were not responding to my posts anymore?
    you edit your posts a lot

I thought you were not responding to my posts anymore?
    you edit your posts a lot

gee I guess I should have added "/sarc" to this
    maybe it's you taking stuff to seriously.. psst it's the internet
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-16-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: because I edit my posts a lot