Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2016: Liberty Loses No Matter Who Wins by Ron Paul

Election 2016: Liberty Loses No Matter Who Wins by Ron Paul

For all the hand-wringing about the threat to liberty and constitutional government posed by the major party presidential candidates, there is little discussion of how this threat is due to the political class’s long history of supporting expanded presidential power. There is also little talk of how the imperial presidency is just as much a creation of Congress as it is of power-hungry presidents.

Since war is the health of the state, it is not surprising that presidential power expanded in tandem with the expansion of the warfare state. Perhaps the best, and most terrifying, example of how “national security” has been used to justify giving the president dictatorial powers is the Defense Production Act.

This law, which is regularly renewed with large bipartisan congressional majorities, grants the president broad powers over the economy. For example, it explicitly authorizes the president to tell manufacturers what products to make, impose wage and price controls, “manage" labor relations, control the use of natural resources, and even allocate credit. All the president need do to exercise these powers is declare a national emergency.

The Defense Production Act is hardly the only example of congress's complicity in the growth of presidential power. For example, Congress rarely, if ever, insists that the president seek a formal declaration of war before commencing military action. When I attempted to force Congress to vote on a declaration of war against Iraq, a prominent member of Congress, who was considered a constitutional scholar, told me that the constitutional requirement that Congress declare war was an "anachronism."

Many neoconservatives claim that the president’s status as commander in chief gives him the inherent authority to take whatever actions he deems necessary for national security. This turns a limited grant of power intended to preserve civilian control of the military into an unlimited authorization for military control of civilians.

Presidents have hardly limited their abuse to foreign policy. Ironically, many conservatives who (correctly) oppose abuses of presidential authority in the domestic sphere support giving the president unlimited authority over “national security.” These conservatives fail to realize unfettered presidential discretion in foreign policy will inevitably lead to presidential usurpation of Congress’s authority in domestic matters.

Modern presidents routinely use executive orders to create new laws or rewrite existing statutes. President George W. Bush regularly usurped congressional authority via signing statements listing the parts of congressionally-passed legislation he would refuse to enforce.

In his 2014 State of the Union address, President Barack Obama actually bragged about his intention to use his “pen and phone" to go around Congress via executive orders and regulations. Some members of Congress do criticize presidential usurpation of congressional authority. However, few members of Congress raise concerns about presidential overreach when the White House is occupied by a member of their political party. This suggests that most legislators are more concerned with partisanship than with protecting their constitutional authority.

As long as people expect the president to provide economic and personal security, the presidency will be a threat to liberty regardless of who holds the office. Therefore, instead of obsessing over whether demagogue A is less dangerous than demagogue B, we must focus on spreading the ideas of liberty. Only when a critical mass of the people demand it will we return to limited constitutional government. The growth of the liberty movement gives me hope that we will soon see a day when our peace, prosperity, and liberty is not threatened by the results of the presidential, or any other, election.
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...tter-who-wins/
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Silly Ron Paul- he's just promoting Hitlery. What does he know about Liberty.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Silly Ron Paul- he's just promoting Hitlery. What does he know about Liberty.
    That's globalist, TPP supporting insider Ron Paul.

After reading these forums for the past few months, it is refreshing to hear Ron Paul bring some sanity back to the conversation.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

When Ron Paul states "Therefore, instead of obsessing over whether demagogue A is less dangerous than demagogue B, we must focus on spreading the ideas of liberty" he is referring to Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson as demagogues not Trump. Trump is a HUUUGGGEEE constitutionalist who will protect our freedoms and liberties.

- ML

Ron Paul... what a loser CUCK! He ran twice and lost harrribly. And that loser son of his? puhlease!!! When I'm president, these clowns will go back to nobodies... believe me.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

This election was never about liberty. It's about battling globalism and sending it to the depths.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    This election was never about liberty. It's about battling globalism and sending it to the depths.
    In favor of nationalism?! No thanks!

Ron Paul is about individualism.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    In favor of nationalism?! No thanks!

Ron Paul is about individualism.
    Globalism will snuff out individualism as well if it is not confronted. We are involved in a zero sum game at the moment.

Globalism will snuff out individualism as well if it is not confronted. We are involved in a zero sum game at the moment.
    Nationalism does the same thing - just faster.

^This.

I think Ron probably knows this and the strategic benefit but he has a business to run catering to the anti-Trump crowd and ideologically pure Libertarians.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Oh wow, how very heroic!! The battle to end all battles? How delusional. You are choosing between a tyrant and a tyrant....
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I think Ron probably knows this and the strategic benefit but he has a business to run catering to the anti-Trump crowd and ideologically pure Libertarians.

^This.

Another globalist victory will probably eliminate what's left of the second amendment and usher forth TPP. Ron has to know this.

Seeing as you are one of those Trump kool-aid drinkers, I doubt your brain has the capacity to understand what Ron Paul is "thinking." It's too much!! System Overload!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

^This.

Another globalist victory will probably eliminate what's left of the second amendment and usher forth TPP. Ron has to know this.
    OMG END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!! SKY is FALLING! Ron Paul knows this but is saying the exact opposite in order to cater to his business! Now I've heard it all. I think its time for your meds...

^This.

Nope. Ron was anti-Trump before Trump ran for office. He always knew Trump was a liberal fraud who has close globalist friends such as the Clintons.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

^This.

Did you really just post this?^^^

WTF planet am I on???
    There is no spoon.

So true and I am surprised so many here do not see that.

The video, sure another possibility that Ron wants to see the whole thing come crashing down.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Muh principles, but they can't see that their principles will be literally outlawed very soon. This isn't some consequence free game anymore. It's 3 minutes to midnight and it's time to lock the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Did you really just post this?^^^

WTF planet am I on???
    Planet reality.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL Trump just said he will shut down the internet, but only the internet of the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Nope. Ron was anti-Trump before Trump ran for office. He always knew Trump was a liberal fraud who has close globalist friends such as the Clintons.
    Sure Trump is a $#@!ty candidate but the reality is like Auh20 said, another globalist victory will probably eliminate what's left of the second amendment and usher forth TPP.
    Last edited by kahless; 08-15-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    LOL Trump just said he will shut down the internet, but only the internet of the enemy.
    Cut all fiber, copper and jam sat frequencies in/out of ISIS provinces. Sounds like a good plan.

The video, sure another possibility that Ron wants to see the whole thing come crashing down.
    Muh principles, but they can't see that their principles will be literally outlawed very soon. This isn't some consequence free game anymore. It's 3 minutes to midnight and it's time to lock the gate.
    This is what it looks like when you 2 have a discussion with each other talking about how it will be the end of the world as we know it if we don't elect a Tyrant for president...

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/765260550750121984

Sure Trump is a $#@!ty candidate but the reality is like Auh20 said, another globalist victory will probably eliminate what's left of the second amendment and usher forth TPP.
    If you think you defeat "globalism" with "nationalism", I think you need to take a look at how that has worked throughout history.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast