Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Zombie knives' ban to come into force

'Zombie knives' ban to come into force

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682

I couldn't make this $#@! up.

Highlights:

no specific shape or style, but they are very ornate and intended to shock

any knife in such a way which suggests it can be used in combat or violent behaviour

Anyone caught breaking the law will face up to four years in prison.

Apparently "zombie knives" includes karambits and multi tool hatchets.
    I had no idea they'd be effective against a zombie invasion;
    I guess I could understand with the "shocking" hex shaped knockouts.

'Zombie knives' ban to come into force

• 4 hours ago
    • From the section UK

Image copyright PA A ban on the sale of so-called "zombie knives" is set to come into force in England and Wales later this week.
    Inspired by horror films, the curved blades with serrated edges are often sold as collectors' items, but police say they are increasingly being carried by criminals.
    Last year a north London teenager was killed with one of the weapons.
    Safeguarding minister Sarah Newton said the ban would "keep communities safe".
    Sold under brand names like "head splitter" and "zombie killer", the weapons can be bought on the internet for as little as £8.
    Product descriptions suggest they are for use in horror-film situations like "defending oneself from the undead", or as part of an "apocalypse kit".
    The new legislation, banning the sale, manufacture, rental or importation of zombie knives will take effect on Thursday. Anyone caught breaking the law will face up to four years in prison.

What are 'zombie' knives?

Image copyright Met Police Image caption The machete used during the attack on Stefan Appleton In April, 17-year-old Blaise Lewinson was convicted of manslaughter after stabbing teenager Stefan Appleton to death with a zombie knife in Islington, north London.
    Following the conviction the Metropolitan Police issued guidance about "zombie" knives:

• There is no specific shape or style, but they are very ornate and intended to shock
    • In varying lengths and often with a serrated edge, the knives carry logos or words that glamorise and promote violence
    • They can cause greater damage due to their size
    • They are being sold as collectors' items online and in some shops

Knives 'could become status symbols'

Ms Newton said "zombie killer knives" glamorise violence, cause devastating damage and have "no place whatsoever in our society".
    Alf Hitchcock, lead on knife crime at the National Police Chiefs' Council, said police were pleased that legislation had been introduced "early" to tackle the "growing problem" of zombie knives.
    He said the "vast majority" of knife crimes involved kitchen knives, but zombie knives had "suddenly become very popular as a sign of bravado in gangs".
    "In weapons sweeps we've been finding these weapons on the street, hidden in places for use," he said.
    "When we've seen gang videos being uploaded on to the internet they've been bragging about having these knives."
    Yvonne Lawson, whose son Godwin was stabbed to death in north London in 2010, welcomed the ban.
    Her son was not killed with a zombie knife, but she said she was "terrified" when she first saw one, and said young people could "easily" buy them online.
    'Responsible sale'

Morris Bright, of the Local Government Association, said the ban would "help reduce the number of lethal blades in society and stop online retailers unwittingly fuelling criminal activity".
    "An industry-backed code of practice on the naming, promotion and packaging of all knives also needs to be created - similar to that of the alcoholic drinks industry - which would promote their responsible sale," he added.
    Carrying a knife in public without good reason is already illegal across the UK.
    The legal change in England and Wales will outlaw selling, manufacturing, renting or importing zombie knives.
    In Northern Ireland, Justice Minister Claire Sugden has said action is being taken to ban zombie knives.
    A Scottish government spokeswoman said: "While we are not aware of any specific incidents in Scotland of 'zombie knives' being carried or used, we do keep the law in relation to knives under review and will consider carefully whether further steps are necessary in this area."
    She said zombie knives were covered by existing laws on possessing weapons in public and restrictions on selling "any knife in such a way which suggests it can be used in combat or violent behaviour".

Knife crime statistics

There has been a 12% decrease in crimes involving knives in the last five years, according to police figures for England and Wales.
    However, police recorded 28,664 such offences in 2015-16 - a 10% rise on the previous 12 months.
    There were 214 suspected homicides in England and Wales where a knife or sharp instrument was used in 2015-16. The number of deaths has varied between 187 and 237 in the past five years.
    Source: Met Police/ONS

Have you been affected by knife crime and do you think this change in the law will make any difference? Send your comments and questions to haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk and please include a telephone number if you are happy to be contacted by a BBC journalist.
    Last edited by presence; 08-15-2016 at 05:31 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ban knives. Might as well ban zombies while we're at to be super safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Take it easy now! Let's not get carried away. I mean, who will watch all the commercials telling them what to consume?!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

When zombie knives are banned, only criminals can kill zombies.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Take it easy now! Let's not get carried away. I mean, who will watch all the commercials telling them what to consume?!
    There will still be plenty of sheeple left after the zombie ban.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

They are usually showy but not effective and usually made of cheap shatterable stainless steel. Besides a firearm, just give me a machete or an old fashioned sword, and I will survive the zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    They are usually showy but not effective and usually made of cheap shatterable stainless steel. Besides a firearm, just give me a machete or an old fashioned sword, and I will survive the zombies.
    Chisels stick better than throwing knives....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Chisels stick better than throwing knives....
    omg! #triggered

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I keep a good stock of Machetes , Tomahawks and knives . Just in case I run out of rifle & shotgun shells and arrows. Then I will start making Lances and more arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682

I couldn't make this $#@! up.

Highlights:
    That knife does not look particularly useful to me , but the hatchet with wrenches in it is a new twist.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That knife does not look particularly useful to me , but the hatchet with wrenches in it is a new twist.
    my luck I'd need metric and the damn things would be sae

my luck I'd need metric and the damn things would be sae
    Thats a good point , but I would guess the other way around since it is all made in China.

What are you, some kind of "zombieist"?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I did sell some Zombie Knives at the Antique Mall where I sell silver , rare coins , old hand tools and such , but they are all sold .They were just ordinary shaped like a KA Bar or so

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    this one is much safer and obviously not effective against zombies

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zombie (un)Lives Matter.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    What are you, some kind of "zombieist"?
    Yes.

Ginsu knives are best for zombies.

Last edited by Danke; 08-15-2016 at 09:26 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Ginsu knives are best for zombies.
    I don't wanna get that close to the nasty things. I want a katana like Michonnes.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    IDK, looks like it might make an OK skinning knife in a pinch.

And already banned in the UK. has a pointy on it and the size! OMG!

I want a katana like Michonnes.
    Forging one is on the do before I die list.

I don't wanna get that close to the nasty things. I want a katana like Michonnes.

I've seen clips of that show, but not whole episodes. Her swordsmanship is awful. :P If she would learn how to use a shinken (commonly called "katana" in 'Murica) properly, she would fare better against teh zombies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Forging one is on the do before I die list.
    Cool. Those things are $#@!ing hard to make (the steel is folded instead of the relatively simple manner of forging Western blades). They're also so sharp(when honed properly) that they'll cut through the saya(scabbard) easily if not handled properly. They're such a hassle to store that I just use the blades at my dojo for cutting and practice with muh iaito at home.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've seen clips of that show, but not whole episodes. Her swordsmanship is awful. :P If she would learn how to use a shinken (commonly called "katana" in 'Murica) properly, she would fare better against teh zombies.
    Mine would be too.

Mine would be too.
    When I visit the AnimalHouse I'll teach you and Mr Animal.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Cool. Those things are $#@!ing hard to make (the steel is folded instead of the relatively simple manner of forging Western blades).
    yes the whole process is an artform

Tamahagane

Tamahagane (玉鋼) is a high quality steel made in the Japanese tradition.

Japanese swordsmithing

works good on showering zombies

Last edited by Danke; 08-15-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast