Thread: New Rules May Ruin the Craft Beer Revolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Rules May Ruin the Craft Beer Revolution

Lovers of craft beer take heed: a new push for more stringent regulations is under serious consideration in the South, which could spell trouble for drinkers across the nation.

A new proposal in Alabama would require craft breweries and brew-pubs that sell products for off-premise consumption — think sales of growlers, craft cans and so forth — to record sensitive personal information from each customer. This would include the customer’s name, address, phone number and date of birth.

Opponents of the bill, however, are stepping up to ask an important question: What is the point of all this?

Would information about a citizen’s alcohol purchasing habits find their way into the hands of health insurance providers? Would advertisers manage to gain access to this sensitive information? Would the government itself use this data for any sketchy purpose?

“The implications of this should be highly concerning, not only to craft beer consumers, but to all people throughout the state,” noted Free the Hops, a grassroots organization made up primarily of craft brewery operators. “As nonsensical as it might seem, this rule would essentially empower [administrators] to come to an individual’s house to confirm his or her purchase of a six pack of beer.”

The stated aim of the proposal is not far off from that summary. Last March, the state passed a bill that allows breweries that make less than 60,000 barrels of beer per year to sell directly to customers for off-premise use, but with limits on how much each customer could purchase. Craft brewers praised the bill because it allowed them to can or growler-cap their own beer and sell it to customers, who would then take it home to drink. But the state-imposed limit of 288 ounces per customer per day created monitoring issues. Just how would the state make sure no one was going home with more than the allowed amount of beer?

More to the point, is such a limit even necessary?

Alabama legislators were silent on the question, preferring to defer to the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, which is the group that regulates the state’s alcohol industry. The rules and regulations of the ABC Board hold serious sway on how regular folks go about enjoying their buzzy suds.

This time, however, the board may have gone too far for consumers’ tastes. It claims that collecting personal information is the best way of assuring no one buys more beer than they are legally allotted.

But in the age of constant online monitoring, do we really need NSA-style tracking of our beer drinking habits?

“Even more concerning is that the ABC Board states that this information will be subject to their verification,” Free the Hops noted in their opposition statement. “The members of Free the Hops fully oppose this proposed rule. It represents an unprecedented, unnecessary, and overreaching invasion of privacy. It is something that unfairly targets beer consumers, but also, frankly, has frightening implications for everyone.”

http://opportunitylives.com/new-rule...er-revolution/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Just how would the state make sure no one was going home with more than the allowed amount of beer?"

This is a serious issue, no one should go home with more than the allowed amount of beer. Because Anheuser-Busch, Coors etc. Give a lot of money to see that they don't.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 08-13-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

"Just how would the state make sure no one was going home with more than the allowed amount of beer?"

This is a serious issue, no one should go home with more than the allowed amount of beer. Because Anheuser-Busch, Coors etc. Give a lot of money to see that they don't.
    As long as you drink their substitute, fake craft-brews, the big boys have no problems with "craft brewing".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    As long as you drink their substitute, fake craft-brews, the big boys have no problems with "craft brewing".
    No, they're all good with whatever amount you want to buy of their swill.
    "The Patriarch"

No, they're all good with whatever amount you want to buy of their swill.
    And let's name names! Goose Island, Shock Top, Blue Moon... If you think those are "craft", you've been taken by the big boys.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

No doubt pushed by the liqueur distributors and neo-prohibitionists.

Maybe this issue will push boobus to be more liberty minded.

Maybe not, but it pisses me off. Don't screw with my beer!

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Maybe this issue will push boobus to be more liberty minded.

Maybe not, but it pisses me off. Don't screw with my beer!
    Nothing will push Boobus to be more liberty minded.

Boobus despises liberty.

Boobus would just as soon drink Uncle Sucker's piss, than stand up against this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Boobus would just as soon drink Uncle Sucker's piss, than stand up against this.
    Is that called Millers, Budweiser or Coors?

Boobus despises liberty.

"The Patriarch"

Boobus despises liberty.

Y'all start calling America (Buttweiser) Uncle Sam's Piss and @TheTexan will have his kids baptized in the swill.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Y'all start calling America (Buttweiser) Uncle Sam's Piss and @TheTexan will have his kids baptized in the swill.
    Are you sure he hasnt?
    "The Patriarch"

Just another day in AmeriKa.

no one drinks lone star, it is good for marinades and baking though

The last scene looks like it was filmed in Appalachia.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    My favorite:
    Why do pilots wear the goofy short sleeve dress shirt/tie combo? It looks like an old man picked out the uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    The last scene looks like it was filmed in Appalachia.
    It really does. I've hiked part of the AT and we go rafting in the Nantahala River every summer.

There are at least two reasons Ft Worth is poisoned ground .One being it is where they buried LBJ.

Why do pilots wear the goofy short sleeve dress shirt/tie combo? It looks like an old man picked out the uniform.
    If it were up to me, I'd ditch the tie. Hell, I'd be happy with the flight suit we weared in the military.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

My favorite:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

This is Alabama ? What is the beer tax there ? I was thinking it was high .

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

lone star is a really good craft beer, $#@! all yall -rep
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Great beer, great people when I went there in 1988. Things are slowly changing. Now I'm not sure. I remember passengers could have a cooler and drink beer in the car . And before that even the drivers could. Texas have been pussified. Before you know it, Texans will be squatting when they pee.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Well , I would say it is better than many american beers , including some big sellers.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst