Thread: What (new OR old) is growing in your garden this year ?

Jan2017

What (new OR old) is growing in your garden this year ?

So what's growin' around your place this year ?

I had hoped to start with a jpg or two of my new venture this year during this morning's rain drenching - an eggplant (var. Black Beauty)

Upright plant with sturdy stem and big floppy leaves the size of elephant ears and the surprise - large lavender/white flowers that
    the bees and butterflies seem to love and gets them busy pollinating all over.
    The flowers are about five times bigger than the usual flowers of my annual Goliath/heirloom tomatoes - a real nice addition to the garden this year.

Last edited by Jan2017; 08-18-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: jpgs added

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing currently.

Bought our house a few months ago and we are still unpacking. We are on about a 1/4 acre and there is plenty of room for a sizable garden. I had the soil tested and there is virtually NO organic material in the soil.

Because of that, I am doing three 8' x 4' raised garden beds. I've built two so far out of untreated pine and I found a great local place that has affordable organic compost/fertilizer. Going to do the raised garden beds, plant some fruit trees, and many potted plants.... the end of the year is shaping up to be busy prepping for planting!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I have rats/voles eating my heirloom tomatoes situated closer to the ground. Burpee cucumbers and zucchini have been growing well in this intense heat but they have succumbed to some fungus as of late.

I have about finished harvesting sweet corn , already dug my potatoes , eating tomatoes every day and hoping for nice pumpkins.

corn
    5 varieties of hot peppers
    blue lakes
    sweet squash
    cherry tomatos

thats it for this year. One of my more boring gardens this time. Been busy re-modeling the bathrooms. Screwed my lower back muscles putting a new toilet in a few days ago.

Only had 3/4" of rain in the past month. Nothing seems to be growing around here but the weeds.
    On the plus side, I haven't had to mow the lawn.

My Maypop came back. That's what I'm most excited about. I'm going to take some cuttings to see if I can root them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My Maypop came back. That's what I'm most excited about. I'm going to take some cuttings to see if I can root them.
    i thought 'maypops' was balding tires.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Nothing currently.

Bought our house a few months ago and we are still unpacking.

. . . I am doing three 8' x 4' raised garden beds. I've built two so far out of untreated pine and I found a great local place that has affordable organic compost/fertilizer. Going to do the raised garden beds, plant some fruit trees, and many potted plants.... the end of the year is shaping up to be busy prepping for planting!
    Three 8' x 4' plots can produce alot, especially if getting full sun.

Currently I am making a new plot for some trees that arrive in last week of October, so end of year will be very busy for me as well.

This is a new tomato variety (var. Golden Jubilee) that was planted (literally just stuck in ground) in an area that in previous years
    had heirlooms and a good organic soil over very clay-ey base - a dozen tomatoes got pollinated in just over a square foot area . . .
    no trellis here (yet), and and rabbits will be on these soon.

Not sure if this yellow variety will be as good in chili as the Goiiath (red) variety, but they have been prolific and are sweet.

Last edited by Jan2017; 08-18-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Mostly just re-runs here.

Green peppers -need more plants
    Pineapples -small but delicious
    A number of cherry tomato volunteers
    Purple sweet potatoes
    Tomatillo -not as much luck with these plants compared to the last. Just made a large batch of chili verde, and green/tomatillo salsa. Yum!
    Ginger -plant it and forget it. Great for stir-fry, our switchel needs and the occasional ginger beer episode. Moscow Mules anyone?
    Herbs -basil, sage, rosemary, dill. I really dig some sage herbal tea.

Lemon trees are loading up. Enough to share with neighbors.
    Avocado tree is dropping already with a bunch more to pick. Enough to share with neighbors. Goes great with the tomatillio chili verde and salsa.
    Banana trees/plants are giving us some small-medium hands.

Brazilian cherry tree is producing, needs pruning -still learning about that one. Looks really promising.
    WIKI:
    Medical studies[edit]
    Eugenia uniflora has several significant pharmacological properties.[9] Its essential oil is antihypertensive,[9][10] antidiabetic,[11] antitumor[12] and analgesic,[13] and it has shown antiviral and antifungal activity.[14] It has performed against microorganisms such as Trichomonas gallinae (in vitro),[15] Trypanosoma cruzi[16] and Leishmania amazonensis.[9][17]

It also shows significant anti-inflammatory properties,[9][18] and is used extensively as a folk remedy in South America against stomach diseases.[9][19]
    Looking to do some green beans, peas, more purple sweet potatoes and tomatillo, some cukes, radishes and lettuces.
    Currently in the process of prepping some more spaces for those.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

We planted 2 "Garden Salsa Pepper" plants to give it a try this year and they turned out to be gigantic producers, the plants are absolutely covered in them. not too hot, but good for some medium pico de gallo.

Must be the weather. Here in TN we're bassically packing it in for the winter already. Heat and dryness pushed everything through already.

I still have 2 batches of corn left but everything else is long since dead/canned.

I have two HUGE Florida avocado seeds that I'm trying to coax a root from.. does that count?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

WE also planted a "Tomatoberry" plant this year for the first time. It isn't the best producer (decent though) but I didn't give it a prime spot in the garden this year (I will next year). It produces some great little strawberry shaped cherry tomatoes. I haven't seen a single one of these crack, split, or fall off the vine early, all season. They are really thick/meaty small tomatoes, less seedy than other cherries and taste pretty good. I recommend giving them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    WE also planted a "Tomatoberry" plant this year for the first time. It isn't the best producer (decent though) but I didn't give it a prime spot in the garden this year (I will next year). It produces some great little strawberry shaped cherry tomatoes. I haven't seen a single one of these crack, split, or fall off the vine early, all season. They are really thick/meaty small tomatoes, less seedy than other cherries and taste pretty good. I recommend giving them a try.

Aww...how cute. I will give them a shot. My oldest son loves tomatoes - he eats the cherry tomatoes like grapes.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Some kind of pod.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post

Not sure if this yellow variety will be as good in chili as the Goiiath (red) variety, but they have been prolific and are sweet.
    Kinda surprisingly - the yellow variety and the red Goliath plants are getting cross-pollinated -
    with some yellow large tomatoes ripen on an adjacent red plant - and vice versa.

Eggplant is gonna be a keeper crop from now on - they have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Kinda surprisingly - the yellow variety and the red Goliath plants are getting cross-pollinated -
    with some yellow large tomatoes ripen on an adjacent red plant - and vice versa.
    Ha! That's neat.

Eggplant is gonna be a keeper crop from now on - they have been great.
    I always had good luck with it but I don't particularly care for it. The only way I've ever had it is in eggplant parm and fried, though. Maybe I'll give another shot next year, my mom and son love it.

Do flower gardens count?

I just put in 400 Daffodil bulbs and have another 400 yet to be delivered.

Passion-fruit. Although I'm not sure how successful it will be. It produces plenty of flowers but it may be a bit too cold here for fruits... Although I've heard it is possible around here. Also I harvested about a bucket full of hops that I'll try to turn into beer over the winter.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Passion-fruit. Although I'm not sure how successful it will be. It produces plenty of flowers but it may be a bit too cold here for fruits... Although I've heard it is possible around here. Also I harvested about a bucket full of hops that I'll try to turn into beer over the winter.
    Maypop's a native passion-fruit. We have them growing under our butterfly bushes. Apparently, the maypop is a favorite food for caterpillars so I have a whole butterfly life cycle are in my yard. If you sit still in that area for a few minutes, they'll start landing on you - it's cool as hell.

Ha! That's neat.

I always had good luck with it but I don't particularly care for it. The only way I've ever had it is in eggplant parm and fried, though. Maybe I'll give another shot next year, my mom and son love it.
    Ratatouille is great!

1 onion, sliced thin
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    5 tablespoons olive oil
    a 3/4-pound eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
    1 small zucchini, scrubbed, quartered lengthwise, and cut into thin slices
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    3/4 pound small ripe tomatoes, chopped coarse (about 1 1/4 cups)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
    1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...atouille-12164

I just started a gallon of fermented eggplant.

Sicilian Fermented Eggplant

2 large eggplants
    8 cloves garlic
    1 bunch oregano
    1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
    Salt (0.4 ounce per pound of eggplants)

Peel and slice the eggplant fine julienne.
    Mince the garlic and oregano.
    Mix everything and place into fermentation jar.
    Screw lid with fermentation lock on tightly. (Add water in the lock)
    Leave in a warm place (+/- 75°F)
    Check after seven days.
    Can ferment for up to four weeks depending on temperature and desired flavor.

ETA: Suz, I am even making wine this year--for the first time.
    Last edited by donnay; 09-23-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I picked like 12 baskets of these this year. But I gave most of them away.

Maypop's a native passion-fruit. We have them growing under our butterfly bushes. Apparently, the maypop is a favorite food for caterpillars so I have a whole butterfly life cycle are in my yard. If you sit still in that area for a few minutes, they'll start landing on you - it's cool as hell.
    I like insects, as long as they don't $#@! up the things I'm growing, which is generally what happens. Flies ruin raspberries and figs, birds eat my strawberries. Small caterpillars nest in my hops... Spiders everywhere. Very nice those insects, not. I don't use any pesticides, haven't used any for over a decade. I try to plant things that solve my problems.. Like when I used to have a lice problem every year in my willow trees. I made some small insect houses that ladybugs like to live in, small wooden boxes with lots of openings in them, filled up with dead leaf. Since then, the problem is manageable.
    "I am a bird"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I picked like 12 baskets of these this year. But I gave most of them away.

nice looking tomatoes. what strain?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    nice looking tomatoes. what strain?
    I have no idea, specs. I dried the seeds out of one of the ones I bought last fall at the Amish market.

Here's what they look like inside if you want to take a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I have no idea, specs. I dried the seeds out of one of the ones I bought last fall at the Amish market.

Here's what they look like inside if you want to take a guess.

Doesn't matter, they look perfect for sauce making...

That's the nice thing about growing your own vegetables with variation in taste, it's always a bit different but good every time.
    "I am a bird"

Maybe Costoluto Genovese. There were maybe 12 tomatoes per bunch. All on one set of vines.

Similar (actually identical) t othe way they are in this picture. And I had a bunch shaped like that, too.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-23-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Doesn't matter, they look perfect for sauce making...

That's the nice thing about growing your own vegetables with variation in taste, it's always a bit different but good every time.
    I'm too lazy to cook with them to be honest. I just eat them like an apple. Heh. These ones were gritty sweet, too. Really refreshing.

The closest that tomatoes see to a stove in my house is fried green tomatoes.

I tried a couple of the recipes for sauce in the dinner thread but that was the extent for me. That's a little bit of work. Kind of a sjkill, really. Which I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Ratatouille is great!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...atouille-12164

I just started a gallon of fermented eggplant.

ETA: Suz, I am even making wine this year--for the first time.
    Here I come!