Thread: My very first btc wallet...

My very first btc wallet...

I finally downloaded a wallet for btc today.. it's bitcoin core. I've discovered that I do have a wallet number..code.. and can generate more. There's nothing in the interface to buy so I guess I'm going to have to use an exchange. Might anyone know of one that does not require a cell phone (sms verification)?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    With most you need a lot more than sms verification.

Kraken does not need sms, which is why I got hacked last month and lost 3 btc, they do want your ID and bank account info though.
    I would suggest you use sms verification or an authenticator app. I am now switching from sms to authenticator plus on some exchanges.

I guess I should have said.. no cell phone.. I'm asking about how to buy btc without a cell phone.. can't get an SMS if I don't have one.. and can't put an application on a device that doesn't exist.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

If you really want SMS sign up for google voice, point it to a landline. You can read the texts from the webpage.

If you want to pay a little more you can try https://localbitcoins.com/
    You meet up with someone in a public place and exchange money for coins.

There may be a Bitcoin ATM near you
    http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-atm-map/
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

if you are just buying a small amount, probably could just get someone here to sell it to you. You've been on the site pretty long.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    if you are just buying a small amount, probably could just get someone here to sell it to you. You've been on the site pretty long.
    I did a small BTC loan for someone on the site awhile ago, it worked out. I agree, people would take you up if you wanted to do it person to person through here.

Also welcome to the world of bitcoin. Be sure to back up your wallet, maybe print a paper one also
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

I've got the wallet info backed up on an external hard drive.. and the numbers in text files both places..hard drive and external. My printer crapped out and I've been putting off getting another one.. I guess it's time.

if bitcoin is anonymous why do they need govt ID? do some not require this? how to receive bitcoin? and how to withdraw in cash? I like the idea of bitcoin, but if they want govt ID what is the difference from a govt run bank?

regarding the sms that would be simple, just use prepaid cell phone.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    if bitcoin is anonymous why do they need govt ID? do some not require this? how to receive bitcoin? and how to withdraw in cash? I like the idea of bitcoin, but if they want govt ID what is the difference from a govt run bank?

Bitcoin isn't by default anonymous. It's a numbered account. Once you actually move bitcoin around it could potentially be traced. Numerous people have shown how to trace bitcoin to an individual based on a variety of things (IP addresses, patterns, etc). There are possible ways to make it anonymous, that's a bit of work. By default it's semi-anonymous but shouldn't be considered anonymous automatically.

The govt ID is only if you want to use some of the most popular services that allow you to exchange FIAT money to bitcoin. Coinbase for example allows you to transfer money from a bank account. Other places will accept wire transfer of money. Anytime you deal with actual banks you start needing ID. If you don't want to transfer from a bank account to bitcoin then you don't need any govt ID.

Localbitcoin allows people to buy and sell bitcoin online and in person for fiat money. No ID required that way however you pay a premium for that. Bitcoin ATMs don't need govt id if it's less than a certain amount.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post

fatjohn didn't explain himself well. Kraken is a centralized exchange like gox. Not a decentralized wallet you only own yourself. You need to dox if u care to exchange for FRN's.

To the OP, Mycelium and Samourai are my favorites on android.
    https://wallet.mycelium.com/
    http://samouraiwallet.com/ Samourai features will be good for hiding your coins on your phone if DHS starts thinking they have the authority to snoop around on your devices without warrant.

Armory for long-term cold storage.
    https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/
    Last edited by muh_roads; 08-26-2016 at 09:00 AM.