Thread: Flossing is a complete waste of time

Flossing is a complete waste of time

As an avowed anti-flosser, I'm gonna show this to my dentist. He tries to guilt me into flossing.

It’s one of the most universal recommendations in all of public health: Floss daily to prevent gum disease and cavities.

Except there’s little proof that flossing works.

Still, the federal government, dental organizations and manufacturers of floss have pushed the practice for decades. Dentists provide samples to their patients; the American Dental Association insists on its website that “Flossing is an essential part of taking care of your teeth and gums.”

The federal government has recommended flossing since 1979, first in a surgeon general’s report and later in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans issued every five years. The guidelines must be based on scientific evidence, under the law.

Last year, the Associated Press asked the Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture for their evidence, and followed up with written requests under the Freedom of Information Act.

When the federal government issued its latest dietary guidelines this year, the flossing recommendation had been removed, without notice. In a letter to the AP, the government acknowledged the effectiveness of flossing had never been researched, as required.

The AP looked at the most rigorous research conducted over the past decade, focusing on 25 studies that generally compared the use of a toothbrush with the combination of toothbrushes and floss. The findings? The evidence for flossing is “weak, very unreliable,” of “very low” quality, and carries “a moderate to large potential for bias.”

“The majority of available studies fail to demonstrate that flossing is generally effective in plaque removal,” said one review conducted last year. Another 2015 review cites “inconsistent/weak evidence” for flossing and a “lack of efficacy.”

When the ADA was asked for proof of its claim that flossing helps prevent early gum disease and cavities, the group cited the 2011 review and a 2008 two-week study that measured bacteria and did not even consider gum disease.

In a later statement to the AP, the ADA said flossing “removes plaque” and “is proven to help remove” debris from between teeth. A video on its website proclaims that flossing “helps prevent gum disease.” When pressed, Matthew J. Messina, a practicing dentist and spokesman for the dental association, acknowledged weak evidence, but he blamed research participants who didn’t floss correctly.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/02/flossin...share=facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My flossing occurs naturally.
    "The Patriarch"

My flossing occurs naturally.

I have always thought flossing was a bad idea since it can cut the gums and forces bacteria into the cut. Then they push the fluoride and not only are you subliminally sublingually ( auto correct ) taking it in, but if you flossed prior to brushing and cut up your gums now you are getting fluoride into your bloodstream.

Chew gum (without aspartame!). The dentist hate gum chewers.
    Last edited by donnay; 08-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Very interesting. See, I have suffered 3 cavities in dental set and they always told me that I could have had less cavities only if I flossed daily. Also seeing as I don't floss, every time I go to the dentist to get my yearly clean (yea, I know its supposed to be bi yearly clean), during the flossing part, I always get a gum bleed and the dental assistant or oral hygienist working on me always explains the bleed as her breaking a bacteria colony growing in my gum. Supposedly, it is the same bacteria that is responsible for causing cavities.

Really hope this is true cos I do not like flossing.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have always thought flossing was a bad idea since it can cut the gums and forces bacteria into the cut. Then they push the fluoride and not only are you subliminally taking it in, but if you flossed prior to brushing and cut up your gums now you are getting fluoride into your bloodstream.

Chew gum (without aspartame!). The dentist hate gum chewers.
    Dentists always taught me to floss after brushing and it's always done last when they or the hygienist clean them.
    Last edited by robert68; 08-03-2016 at 11:34 AM.

I like water piks / flossers

I use it usually at least once a day, it takes less than 30 seconds for the whole operation and I try to floss with these things once or twice a week (the kind with the double string seems to work well, can't find pictures)

Last edited by dannno; 08-03-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Oil pulling does a similar job, brushing alone won't do.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

I use it usually at least once a day, it takes less than 30 seconds for the whole operation and I try to floss with these things once or twice a week (the kind with the double string seems to work well, can't find pictures)
    These?

My hygienist can see a lot of improvement in my gums when I floss regularly. I like doing it.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I brush once a day with baking soda, rinse with birch sugar, and I use a scaler once a week; one of those flosser tools after dinner that involves meat on bone.

Rule 1 is never fall asleep with dirty teeth.

I've never had a cavity.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I like water piks / flossers

I love my water pik.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I brush once a day with baking soda
    Me too. Works...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I brush once a day with baking soda, rinse with birch sugar, and I use a scaler once a week; one of those flosser tools after dinner that involves meat on bone.

Rule 1 is never fall asleep with dirty teeth.

I've never had a cavity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Me too. Works...
    Me, three but I do it twice a day.

While they said there is not evidence it does not help, there is also not evidence it does not help. Long term studies have not been conducted. All I can say from my own experience, I have had gum and some decay issues but as I improved my flossing (and using fluoride rinse) the health of my teeth and gums has improved.

Food stuck between teeth grows bacteria which can eat away at the tooth.

Finally I can say that my five year old self was ahead of the curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    While they said there is not evidence it does not help, there is also not evidence it does not help. Long term studies have not been conducted. All I can say from my own experience, I have had gum and some decay issues but as I improved my flossing (and using fluoride rinse) the health of my teeth and gums has improved.

Food stuck between teeth grows bacteria which can eat away at the tooth.
    I haven't had any tooth or gum issues since I stopped using regular fluoridated toothpaste.
    "I am a bird"

If flossing bothers you and you've never tried dental tape, it might be worth trying it.

Last edited by robert68; 08-16-2016 at 02:29 PM.

Tape is the best. I have some bonding on the sides of my teeth (erosion) and the other kind catches on them. Couple times it pulled the bonding off and I had to get it replaced.

Sadly, it will be very difficult to ever get any reliable conclusions on this matter from empirical research. Diet is a somewhat similar situation.

The original report which led to this thread said they had no evidence one way or the other. Not enough long term study. It didn't say flossing didn't help- they just didn't have any proof if it did or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I love my water pik.
    I might need one of those , mouth massage , sounds relaxing .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I might need one of those , mouth massage , sounds relaxing .
    Oh, yeah. I love mine. I got a fancy one with lots of different attachments and power settings.

My Sonicare TB bit the dust the other day so I picked up a TB at Kroger. I finally found a firm brush. It seems like they only come with soft or medium bristles. I love my scrubby toothbrush but I had to use the soft one the dentist gave me to do my tongue because the firm on hurt.

And another thing I read recently, hygienists were complaining that that the dentist lobby made it so they couldn't do cleanings without a dentist. The hygienist was making a point that that drives up the cost for the consumer.

Surprisingly little evidence for the usual wisdom about teeth

As my colleague Austin Frakt pointed out recently, for adults without apparent dental problems, there’s little evidence to support the use of yearly dental X-rays. This still doesn’t prevent many dentists from recommending them for everyone.

With respect to flossing, this shouldn’t have been news either. A systematic review in 2011 concluded that, in adults, toothbrushing with flossing versus toothbrushing alone most likely reduced gingivitis, or inflammation of the gums. But there was really weak evidence that it reduced plaque in the short term. There was no evidence that it reduced cavities. That’s pretty much what we learned recently.

What about everything else? It turns out there’s a whole journal dedicated to the idea that we could use more rigor in dental recommendations. Evidence-Based Dentistry either publishes systematic reviews or summarizes reviews from other organizations, like the Cochrane Collaboration.
    http://hotair.com/headlines/archives...m-about-teeth/

Dentists...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    As an avowed anti-flosser, I'm gonna show this to my dentist. He tries to guilt me into flossing.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/02/flossin...share=facebook
    Uh huh. And let me guess, fluoride in the water also doesn't do any good and is just poison

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his