Thread: Its Berry Season!

Its Berry Season!

Black Berries are banging!
    I hacked a trail system through an acre of bush yesterday... came home with 7 quarts in 2 hours.
    Probably enough out there to hunt all week.
    Anyone else got arms covered in bramble rash?

*rain dance*

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ha. I'm going to pick mine today, too. They're just some that I planted, though. Those things spread like mad. I have some red and black raspberries, too. I already ate all of those though. The black ones are sweeter tha nthe red ones. But the red ones are still good, too.

Not yet, but I will get the time before they are gone.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Not yet, but I will get the time before they are gone.
    Better get to them before the birds do.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I hacked a trail system through an acre of bush yesterday... came home with 7 quarts in 2 hours.

*rain dance*
    I put up 4 gallons 1st part of June, they're done in the Ozarks...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Better get to them before the birds do.
    They came in late here, I have a little time yet. And there are way more than the birds can eat around here.
    "The Patriarch"

They came in late here, I have a little time yet. And there are way more than the birds can eat around here.
    You probably have those big juicy sweet ones out there, too, given the climate.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I put up 4 gallons 1st part of June, they're done in the Ozarks...
    Do you ever make jam? That's my favorite thing to do with them. Whenever I'm not too lazy. Well, that and dumplings. But I make the dumplings liek the ones you simmer in a pot on the stove wit hthe blackberries mixed in. They're really just dough balls, I guess.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You probably have those big juicy sweet ones out there, too, given the climate.
    Yes, in rather massive quantities. They take over a pretty large amount of land here. Anything cleared of trees gets invaded basically.
    "The Patriarch"

Do you ever make jam? That's my favorite thing to do with them. Whenever I'm not too lazy. Well, that and dumplings. But I make the dumplings liek the ones you simmer in a pot on the stove wit hthe blackberries mixed in. They're really just dough balls, I guess.
    My Ma used to make preserves, I make a cobbler/crumble thing that's got so much butter-n-sugar in it it's sinful....

Yes, in rather massive quantities. They take over a pretty large amount of land here. Anything cleared of trees gets invaded basically.
    that's the proper way to farm berries for sure

Once its harvest season I use a double bit axe handle and hack rows wandering through at about 8'-10' on center, once the rows are in the mrs and kid follow behind

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Ah yes , blackberry wine .

Birds and squirrels get all of my berries and leave me with brightly colored $#@!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Birds and squirrels get all of my berries and leave me with brightly colored $#@!.
    Ha. They tried that with my blueberries. You gotta get a net and cover them. It looks like crap but it's only for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

I call those squirrels pre marinated.

Ha. They tried that with my blueberries. You gotta get a net and cover them. It looks like crap but it's only for a little while.
    My granny wouldn't stand for that. She used to say, the critters gotta eat, too. Just plant extra. She even fought the old folks home she lived in because she had a bird feeder outside her window that attracted crows. The other old people complained because she wouldn't let them run the crows off her feeder. Then again, my granny was a character maybe I should rethink some of her advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    hauled in another gallon

think ima have to skip a day... picked that field clean of ripe fruit.

hauled in another gallon

think ima have to skip a day... picked that field clean of ripe fruit.
    Did the briars get you? Those things are no joke.

Pre-bake a pie crust 1/2 way ...

Mix berries lots of sugar 1/2 a lemon and some corn starch together and pour into the crust.

Mix equal parts butter, brown sugar, white sugar and quick-oats in a bowl (Make lots!) and sprinkle on top of berries 1/2" thick or thicker and bake over a foil covered cookie sheet....1/2- full hour until crumble mixture is well browned...

Serve hot with vanilla ice-cream...

*rain dance*
    Our canes are full of berries. And they are very large and very sweet.

We also have enough tomatoes to feed the town. We will be canning a lot of sauce/paste this year.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Did the briars get you? Those things are no joke.
    The key, if you are growing your own, is to plant thornless varieties. That is what we have and the berries are so big they are almost obscene. I will be propagating canes this year. In fact, have already started. I intend on lining the mile of fencing we have with blackberries. Of course, the goats will be a problem there.

Lining the road with walnuts and locust, the latter for the bees. Locust honey is a beautiful thing.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Yes! I am loving it. Blueberries are one of my favorites!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'm at 7 gallon zipperlock freezer bags stuffed solid.

we flash freeze on cookie trays first so they're not stuck together