Thread: Trump Says He’ll Spend More Than $500 Billion on Infrastructure

Trump Says He’ll Spend More Than $500 Billion on Infrastructure

Donald Trump on Tuesday proposed a plan to rebuild U.S. infrastructure that costs “at least double” the amount that Hillary Clinton has floated, in what would amount to a massive new government program.

Asked on Fox Business Network how much he'd spend, the Republican presidential nominee said, “Well, I would say at least double her numbers, and you're going to really need more than that. We have bridges that are falling down. I don't know if you've seen the warning charts, but we have many, many bridges that are in danger of falling.”

Clinton's plan, which is estimated to cost $275 billion over five years, calls for setting up a national infrastructure bank to help fund large-scale projects, an idea that President Barack Obama advanced only to see it stall for lack of Republican support.

Trump was vague when asked how he'd pay for his much larger plan.

“We'll get a fund. We'll make a phenomenal deal with the low interest rates,” he said. Who would provide the money? “People, investors. People would put money into the fund. The citizens would put money into the fund,” he said, adding that he'd use “infrastructure bonds from the country, from the United States.”

The financial practicality of such a proposal is highly doubtful, particularly when considering that Trump, who tends to be slippery on policy details, said in the same interview that unlike his opponent, he wouldn't raise taxes.

“I'm doing the biggest tax decrease,” he said.

Keep up with the race of a lifetime.
    Get our politics newsletter daily.

U.S. spending is projected to fall about $1.4 trillion short of the $3.3 trillion needed through 2025 for airports, highways and other infrastructure, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers. While Obama spurred spending on public works by helping cover the interest on about $188 billion of state and local debt, the program lapsed in 2010. Democrats have been unable to revive it because of Republican opposition in Congress.

The political viability of a massive new infrastructure plan is also doubtful, as Republicans have spent years battling new taxes and government spending. Trump's remarks received immediate pushback on the right.

Asked to comment, House Speaker Paul Ryan's office said he was more focused on his policy plans than Trump's.

“The Speaker is focused on the House GOP’s ‘Better Way’ agenda,” Ryan spokeswoman AshLee Strong said in an e-mail.

Rory Cooper, a Republican strategist who opposes Trump, called his proposal “essentially the Obama stimulus argument” and added in a Twitter post, “Half trillion tax dollars toward mythical projects to ‘create jobs.’ Nearly every Republican member of Congress voted against this in 2009.”

On financing infrastructure, “everyone agrees we need to do it,” said Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo, a Democrat, during a panel last week held on the sidelines of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. “But nobody wants to pay for it.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well you can count on him and Hillary for more spending.

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Rory Cooper, a Republican strategist who opposes Trump, called his proposal “essentially the Obama stimulus argument” and added in a Twitter post, “Half trillion tax dollars toward mythical projects to ‘create jobs.’ Nearly every Republican member of Congress voted against this in 2009.”
    Obama's stimulus wasn't an America First Great Stimulus, it was a dirty Kenyan Muslim stimulus.

Trump is going to reintroduce Democratic policies, but he'll do it in the white way and that will make all the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Yay, liberty!!!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It's highly doable. Cut foreign aid and foreign military assistance. Over 5 years that is around $200 billion. Cut the Dept. of Education, another $335 billion. There ya go. Putting Americans back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's highly doable. Cut foreign aid and foreign military assistance. Over 5 years that is around $200 billion. Cut the Dept. of Education, another $335 billion. There ya go. Putting Americans back to work.
    We can't even cut projected increases in spending without a shut down of the government. Trump is going to tank all of the down ballot races though so the spending will happen no matter who is the potus, they will not cut anything though that's for sure, only way we can do that is by replacing congress with conservatives. Most likely anyone that comes into congress will be authoritarian and liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    We can't even cut projected increases in spending without a shut down of the government. Trump is going to tank all of the down ballot races though so the spending will happen no matter who is the potus, they will not cut anything though that's for sure, only way we can do that is by replacing congress with conservatives. Most likely anyone that comes into congress will be authoritarian and liberal.
    Well, of course. I was just saying....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, of course. I was just saying....
    I am just not so sure the guy who says that we can just print more money and that we can't default is going to fight the democrats over spending especially when he wants to double Clinton's spending.

Grab your wallet, boys... The next few years are gonna be rough. Doesn't matter who wins this thing. Best you can hope for is gridlock.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Grab your wallet, boys... The next few years are gonna be rough. Doesn't matter who wins this thing. Best you can hope for is gridlock.
    Grab your wallet all you want. You must have forgotten about Trump's interest with printing money.

Uncle's hand hasn't been in my pocket for six years, now.

Is that more roads than even Bernie? Perhaps Trump loves roads even as much as I do

Great Roads, for a Great America
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Uncle's hand hasn't been in my pocket for six years, now.
    Oh, it is. Maybe not directly, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Is that more roads than even Bernie? Perhaps Trump loves roads even as much as I do

Great Roads, for a Great America
    He'll have the best roads, I'm sure.

Trump's plan to win in November? "I'll DOUBLE what Hillary plans to spend, because MERICA! What? You're saying I'm not a fiscal conservative?? You CUCK!!!!!!"

ANd where will Trump get this $500 billion??

Use your:
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Low interest loans from the fed. Just pay your 6 percent on money they printed and be happy.

It's OK to spend more though, Trump says if money gets too tight, we can always just print more:

Trump: U.S. can never default because it prints money
    Trump Tells Donors He Wants Mnuchin for Treasury, Fortune Says
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Not only will he not talk about the evils of the fed, he wants them to print more? So this man is trying to bring about financial collapse? No big deal right, just declare bankruptcy, none will be harmed in the process.

Oh, it is. Maybe not directly, but it is.
    Oh, sure. There are some taxes I can't get by. I pay the Fed. gas tax because my work truck uses gas. I suppose I could get some horses and get by that. I've actually considered it. I at least don't hand over that which is demanded of that which is my livelihood. <shrug>. Wish just 20 million other Americans wouldn't. That would be the point where there weren't enough prison spaces to put us all, especially if we didn't comply with arrest, and cause others to say "The hell with it, they're not paying why am I?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Obama's stimulus wasn't an America First Great Stimulus, it was a dirty Kenyan Muslim stimulus.

Trump is going to reintroduce Democratic policies, but he'll do it in the white way and that will make all the difference.
    What Obama spending stimulus? (besides the fact that Congress, not the President determines spending)?

Don't forget Trump Wall and his promise to reduce taxes and reduce the deficit. If he keeps all those promises, the only way he can do it it to raise taxes. $500 billion would get us back to $1 trillion deficits again.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-02-2016 at 09:02 PM.