Thread: Tim Huelskamp deserves our thanks

Tim Huelskamp deserves our thanks

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ampaign=buffer

Many things have shocked me this election cycle, but little else compares to the attacks on Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) for “going Washington.”

If there’s anyone in Congress who hasn’t “gone Washington,” and has remained true to his values and the people who elected him, it’s Tim Huelskamp. And I say that as a Kansan myself.

Tens of thousands of concerned Americans marched in 2010 to protest ObamaCare, disastrous federal overspending and debt, and taxpayer bailouts for well-connect industries. Those protests helped to usher in a Republican-controlled Congress and several newcomers, including Tim Huelskamp. Voters were tired of Republicans and Democrats alike who had gone to Washington, D.C. -- only to break their promises to voters. They wanted someone who would stick by their principles and do the right thing for Kansas – even when it wasn’t politically convenient for Washington.
    Tim Huelskamp has been such a leader. He has kept his word and voted to cut spending, curb government overreach, and end the dominance of special interests in D.C.

Which is exactly why Washington special interests fear him. He’s stayed true to his word – and made good on his promises to limit government and reduce spending. These facts notwithstanding, he’s now under attack for supposedly violating his principles.

Nothing could be further from the truth – a fact that his record makes clear.

In 2011, Huelskamp stood firm in his beliefs that Republicans should actually cut government spending. His efforts sent shockwaves through the House Republican Conference because – novel concept – he followed through on his promises to his constituents. He also thought the GOP owed it to America to follow through on its pre-election “Pledge to America” that contained a “commitment to cut $100 billion from the budget.”

He said “no” to continuing resolution after continuing resolution that maintained the status quo of unchecked, unquestioned increases in government spending. He said “no” to debt limit increases that failed to cut spending.

But it wasn’t all “no”; Huelskamp voted for a balanced budget amendment and for limiting Congress’ spending with reasonable spending caps.

And for this he is accused of “going Washington”?

The funny thing is, some of those critical of Huelskamp for allegedly “going Washington” have also said he shouldn’t be in office because he has said “no” too often and refused to go along with what Washington-based party leaders tell him.

Apparently “going Washington” also includes refusing to support special-interest handouts – including green energy subsidies, the Export-Import Bank, and myriad other taxpayer-funded giveaways. These types of programs take money out of the pockets of hardworking Americans and enrich wealthy corporations with armies of lobbyists.

Finally, I won’t dance around it. Huelskamp has taken a lot of criticism for refusing to support the Farm Bill, and the punishment he received for doing so: being removed from the House Agriculture Committee.

If you ever needed an example of what “going Washington” isn’t, that’s it. A fifth-generation farmer in one of the most ag-intensive districts in the country opposed a bill called the “Farm Bill.”

And it was the right thing to do. As he correctly explained, the bill isn’t exactly a farm bill any more. It’s a special-interest feeding trough. When he voted against the Farm Bill, he spoke of the opportunities House Republicans had missed to enact meaningful changes, including efforts to curb the Obama administration’s overregulation.

The past five years have been filled with missed opportunities for Congress. Imagine what could have happened if more of our representatives had stood with Huelskamp and taken principled stands. Maybe our national debt wouldn’t have grown by more than $5 trillion and President Obama’s regulatory onslaught could have been curbed.

And maybe, just maybe, we’d be looking at a different dynamic in this year’s election – where voters are filled with optimism because they know it’s possible for politicians to follow through on their promises and actually put our country on a path to a brighter future.

Tim Huelskamp has been fighting to do that for a long time, often alone. He deserves our thanks for sticking to his principles and putting Kansans first.
    Last edited by Brett85; 07-29-2016 at 05:09 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For those wanting more information, while Huelskamp isn't at the level of an Amash or Massie, he's better than the vast majority of Republicans in the house. For instance, he received a 90% rating on the House Liberty Caucus scorecard. The challenge he's facing is similar to the one that Amash faced in 2014. He's being challenged by someone who's being backed by the U.S Chamber of Commerce. They are opposing Huelskamp because Huelskamp didn't vote for the crony capitalism that they support. If you would like to donate to his campaign, click below.

https://causes.anedot.com/kansansforhuelskamp

Not looking so good, but it's still early.

1st District Primary,

August 2, 2016
    Detailed Results
    Republican

0.9% Reporting
    R. Marshall 61.8% 1,641
    T. Huelskamp (i) 38.2% 1,016

Read more: http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/house
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Wow he's toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

1st District Primary,

August 2, 2016
    Detailed Results
    Republican

8.3% Reporting
    R. Marshall 61.1% 6,826
    T. Huelskamp (i) 38.9% 4,346
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Still not called for anyone yet, but it may be soon. Gap closed slghtly:

1st District Primary,

August 2, 2016
    Detailed Results
    Republican

71.2% Reporting
    R. Marshall 57.3% 45,440
    T. Huelskamp (i) 42.7% 33,920

Looks like Huelskamp lost.

This is great news!

Huelskamp attempted to install a Canadian usurper into the Presidency.

That is treasonous activity.

Well, the Chamber of Commerce bought this election for one of their cronies.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Looks like Huelskamp lost.

This is great news!

Huelskamp attempted to install a Canadian usurper into the Presidency.

That is treasonous activity.
    Well, of course... The guy who beat him in the primary will be much better, much more principled.. Sure. /s
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well, of course... The guy who beat him in the primary will be much better, much more principled.. Sure. /s
    Huelskamp was on Mark Levin Monday night, he said that they flew in a consultant from DC and dumped a bunch of money into his opponent's campaign. Looks like they got the guy they paid for; Chamber of Commerce Republicans will work with Hillary.

interview starts at 1:26:40 -> https://audioboom.com/boos/4886672-8...rss&stitched=1

I am devastated. Huelskamp was the type of person we need in Congress if we want to see any changes.