Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockroach milk is the protein drink you didn't know you've been missing

Cockroach milk is the protein drink you didn't know you've been missing

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/health/cockroach-milk/

Wed July 27, 2016

A little cockroach milk with those cookies? Chock full of protein, the insect milk may someday be transformed into a food supplement worthy of human consumption, new research indicates.

Scientists have found that the Pacific Beetle Cockroach feeds its bug babies a formula which is remarkably rich in protein, fat and sugar.
    Don't expect to find it next to the regular milk in the dairy section, however, at least not for now.
    "Any liquid harvested from a cockroach is not true milk. At least not as we think of it," said Becky Facer, director of school and educator programs at Fernbank Museum of Natural History in Atlanta.
    Most people would agree. After all, the insect liquid takes the form of protein crystals in the guts of baby cockroaches.
    "The protein crystals are milk for the cockroach infant. It is important for its growth and development," said Leonard Chavas, one of the scientists behind the research. He explained the crystals have a whopping three times the energy of an equivalent mass of buffalo milk, about four times the equivalent of cow's milk.

"The interest here was, what is it really made of?" said Chavas, one of the authors of the research, published in July in the journal International Union of Crystallography.
    Chavas and his colleagues examined the species, also known as Diploptera punctata, which is the only species of cockroach known to be viviparous -- able to bring forth live babies that have developed within the mother's body, instead of the mother laying eggs to develop outside her body.
    Like other viviparous creatures, this species of roach nourishes its growing embryos with a protein-rich liquid secreted by its brood sac -- the roach version of a uterus.

Soon after the embryo ingests the liquid, protein crystals develop within its midgut. Chavas and his colleagues extracted one of these crystals to learn more about it and its potential nutrition. Following tests and even genome sequencing, they discovered it was a complete food.
    "It is what one would need: protein, essential amino acids, lipids and sugars," Chavas said, explaining that the energy content is so high that it helps infants within this unique species grow much bigger than cockroach babies of other species.
    Though the crystal formation may seem surprising, other crystals, including insulin, take shape within the body for easier bodily storage -- and it could have potential for human consumption, the research suggests.
    So, how do you milk a cockroach?
    The crystals are currently extracted from the midgut of cockroach embryos -- perhaps not the most efficient way of feeding a growing world population.
    Ultimately, however, Chavas and his team are hoping to reverse bioengineer cockroach milk, but first they need to understand the exact biological and chemical mechanisms underlying the process.

"For now, we are trying to understand how to control this phenomena in a much easier way, to bring it to mass production," Chavas said.
    Having lost a drinking game with his colleagues, Chavas tasted the cockroach milk once. "No particular taste," he commented, though the idea of ice cream appeals to him. He imagines "a flavor with honey and crispy pieces."
    Laugh as you may, there is no irony lost on the fact that that this insect that can survive a nuclear disaster may someday provide the ultimate liquid superfood.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not.....
    "I am a bird"

Cockroach milk. Probably a secret that has been used in Washington for some time .

Cockroach milk is the protein drink you didn't know you've been missing
    And now that I do know it, I'm gonna go right on missing it, thank you very much ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Which government grant paid for this discovery?

Heh. I'm certain that there are better sources for protein.

How the hell you milk a cockroach? Must have really small hands
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Heh. I'm certain that there are better sources for protein.
    This joke was not very transparent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Selective with our protein drinks now, are we?

That's just disgusting.

I wonder if the feds will RAID these milk pharms?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Chester Copperpot

they do these studies on raw cockroach milk and see all these good things - then they try and invent a synthetic version which of course will not have any of the natural life-giving properties...

meanwhile the same govt decries raw cows milk..

all mammalian milk is going to be nutritious - thats the point of the milk. Just like eggs, just like seeds and fruit.

Who cares. Some insects are pretty tasty. Deep fried grasshoppers for instance, pretty nice. Dunno about cockroaches. And no I don't regularly eat them because they're freaking expensive. If they were cheap and available I'd eat more insects. Snails and stuff are tasty too. People miss out on so much...
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    How the hell you milk a cockroach? Must have really small hands
    I don't think they have nipples. Where the hell is that "milk" coming from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    After all, the insect liquid takes the form of protein crystals in the guts of baby cockroaches.
    Read the article.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Read the article.
    Are you crazy? I don't want to read about cockroach milk, lol. I wonder if they'll try to sell it in flavors like Peeps milk - which was disgusting, btw.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are you crazy? I don't want to read about cockroach milk, lol. I wonder if they'll try to sell it in flavors like Peeps milk - which was disgusting, btw.
    I apparently have a very high tolerance for things. There's nothing really that shocks me.
    "I am a bird"

even worse. Lol
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Selective with our protein drinks now, are we?
    Ha. I just think cockroaches are THE most disgusting creatures on the planet. I don't know why, but they give me the heebie jeebies. You should've seen the cockroaches in Hawaii, when I lived there. We called them "Kona cruisers". It was always hilarious when there was one in our YWAM dorm room. The screaming that would ensue...
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Ha. I just think cockroaches are THE most disgusting creatures on the planet. I don't know why, but they give me the heebie jeebies. You should've seen the cockroaches in Hawaii, when I lived there. We called them "Kona cruisers". It was always hilarious when there was one in our YWAM dorm room. The screaming that would ensue...
    Heh. That's funny.

My wasp like cockroaches so much that they never leave any for anyone else.

My guess , yes , Peeps flavored cockroach milk.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't believe I forgot about cockroach milk.

NO
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    NO
    Why not? Guzzling the breast milk of another species is not weird, right?

― Henry David Thoreau

Why not? Guzzling the breast milk of another species is not weird, right?

I don't consume insects, especially not insects renowned for being filthy.
    As a child I drank human milk and as an adult I drink cows milk, human females are not animals and therefore it isn't right to use them to feed human adults, cows are animals under the dominion of man and if treated well there is nothing wrong with using them to produce milk products.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't consume insects, especially not insects renowned for being filthy.
    As a child I drank human milk and as an adult I drink cows milk, human females are not animals and therefore it isn't right to use them to feed human adults, cows are animals under the dominion of man and if treated well there is nothing wrong with using them to produce milk products.
    What if some women are willing to sell their breast milk for other humans to drink? How would it be it wrong if it is consensual? If that's the case, do you think it would be weird?

I underlined part of your last sentence above, because that's just it… They are not treated well. First the cows are artificially impregnated, they have to be kept perpetually pregnant, in order to continually produce milk. Then after carrying their baby for nine months, the calf is born, and the mother/baby bond is broken as the calf is torn away from the mother, usually on Day One of life. That is traumatic for both the mother and the baby. Sometimes the mother cow will cry out for weeks. Tearing babies away from mothers so you can drink the baby's milk happens even on small farms, it's not just a factory farm thing.

Then the mother is used over and over and over and over, exploited for her milk, until she is too worn out to go any further. At that point she is discarded like garbage and usually killed for cheap hamburger meat.

Dominion doesn't mean we can do whatever we wants to the animals. It doesn't even mean we can eat animals, because we had dominion in the garden of Eden, and meat eating didn't come until much later, until after the flood. So that alone shows that dominion does not mean use/kill/eat.

― Henry David Thoreau

What if some women are willing to sell their breast milk for other humans to drink? How would it be it wrong if it is consensual? If that's the case, do you think it would be weird?

I underlined part of your last sentence above, because that's just it… They are not treated well. First the cows are artificially impregnated, they have to be kept perpetually pregnant, in order to continually produce milk. Then after carrying their baby for nine months, the calf is born, and the mother/baby bond is broken as the calf is torn away from the mother, usually on Day One of life. That is traumatic for both the mother and the baby. Sometimes the mother cow will cry out for weeks. Tearing babies away from mothers so you can drink the baby's milk happens even on small farms, it's not just a factory farm thing.

Then the mother is used over and over and over and over, exploited for her milk, until she is too worn out to go any further. At that point she is discarded like garbage and usually killed for cheap hamburger meat.

Dominion doesn't mean we can do whatever we wants to the animals. It doesn't even mean we can eat animals, because we had dominion in the garden of Eden, and meat eating didn't come until much later, until after the flood. So that alone shows that dominion does not mean use/kill/eat.

@lilymc

Isaiah 7:15

Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.”

King James Version (KJV)

Isaiah 7:22

“And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.”

King James Version (KJV)

Jeremiah 11:5

“That I may perform the oath which I have sworn unto your fathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day. Then answered I, and said, So be it, O LORD.”

King James Version (KJV)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast