Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Libertarian Party as our vehicle

The Libertarian Party as our vehicle

Taking over the libertarian party?

Yea, nay?

Seems like a much more feasible thing than taking over the republican party. We could fund-raise to get our message to the airwaves and our candidates elected. We could get rid of the stupid and wasteful primary system and have party officials select candidates to run the different races. We could know who our candidates are going to be before the dem and republican primaries even start so we could get cheaper tv advertising for the name recognition early, and keep up the pressure later with cheaper forms of outreach. We could direct funds where it makes sense and pull funds from areas where it doesn't. Build a lean mean fighting machine and grow our expanse as success allows. Proven success defeating establishment dems would surely open up more sources of funding. Change the party by-laws so we don't have to worry about losing control of the party...

And it doesn't really need to be seen as 'taking over', I'm sure many who hold positions in the party are willing to go a different direction if it provides greater chance for success.

This isn't super long or well thought out but that is because it is not a project for an individual. What say you? How tough a task is this to accomplish? Where is a sensible place to begin in planning out such a task? How do we get from where we are now to in control of the national Libertarian party and rules committee?

Thanks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    actually it would probably be best to run as fiscally conservative dems for awhile as they will be winning house and senate seats with a republican in the white house

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    actually it would probably be best to run as fiscally conservative dems for awhile as they will be winning house and senate seats with a republican in the white house
    What a screwed up "Game of Thrones" American politics is, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What a screwed up "Game of Thrones" American politics is, eh?
    I've read the books, I dislike G.R.R. Martin

I've read the books, I dislike G.R.R. Martin
    Why?

Until the LP can prove that it can get substantially more than its usual 1%, I'm not ready to abandon the GOP strategy.

We might well see that happen this cycle, with the LP emerging as a serious third party challenge to the GOP/Dems.

So, for the moment, I say hold your fire. Reevaluate on November 9th.

One thing I'll say about the dems is they are much better pets then the republicans. When there union leaders, community organizers, political leaders, etc tell them to vote for candidate X they do. The Bernie crowd is a little different but that is because they don't think the left is left enough, they wouldn't help us. We would not get a candidate through the primary of any political race of consequence.... meaning I think the best we could do would be city/county level... and that really depends on the locale too. We'd get $#@! on in Minneapolis for instance, the candidates the left runs there are hand picked.

Part of the reason for going after a party rather than trying to get an individual elected is so we can focus on building infrastructure, donor relations, and a long term plan, something with a lasting ability to get the funds to run different candidates... whereas running a politician the greatest donation amounts will come from people interested in getting that one candidate elected, and the entire focus will have been on getting that one candidate elected.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Until the LP can prove that it can get substantially more than its usual 1%, I'm not ready to abandon the GOP strategy.

We might well see that happen this cycle, with the LP emerging as a serious third party challenge to the GOP/Dems.

So, for the moment, I say hold your fire. Reevaluate on November 9th.
    I'm saying though part of the problem with the LP's success is the LP itself and that with better leadership and direction candidates would have better results... because instead of focusing on unwinnable races we'd focus on winnable ones. We sure could run a pres candidate, but would it make much sense to allocate a lot of resources to it at this point? And I agree this isn't a short term thing but what they hey else we got to focus on till November 9?... not that individuals focused elsewhere need to focus their attention here just a little chit chat to see what such a plan would look like... taking over the lp that is.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    I'm saying though part of the problem with the LP's success is the LP itself and that with better leadership and direction candidates would have better results... because instead of focusing on unwinnable races we'd focus on winnable ones. We sure could run a pres candidate, but would it make much sense to allocate a lot of resources to it at this point? And I agree this isn't a short term thing but what they hey else we got to focus on till November 9?... not that individuals focused elsewhere need to focus their attention here just a little chit chat to see what such a plan would look like... taking over the lp that is.
    I agree with you that the LP needs reforming and could be a lot more successful with different people in charge.

...and we could be those people.

But to join the LP and do this, we'd have to leave the GOP, no?

You can't be a registered member of two parties simultaneously.

And I'm wary of giving up on the GOP until the LP shows us some flicker of life.

Yea, nay?

Seems like a much more feasible thing than taking over the republican party. [...]
    LOL CRY @ need for discussion of feasibility of libertarians "taking over" the Libertarian party ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    LOL CRY @ need for discussion of feasibility of libertarians "taking over" the Libertarian party ...
    Laugh, cry, or just WTF?

It's not about libertarians taking over the Libertarian Party.

It's about competent libertarians ousting the incompetent libertarians who currently control the Libertarian Party.

For instance, job #1 after we seize the reins will be to fire whatever jackass thought this guy was a good Senate candidate.

I agree with you that the LP needs reforming and could be a lot more successful with different people in charge.

...and we could be those people.

But to join the LP and do this, we'd have to leave the GOP, no?

You can't be a registered member of two parties simultaneously.

And I'm wary of giving up on the GOP until the LP shows us some flicker of life.
    Right on right on, I see what you're saying. I live in WI and we have open primaries so no need to register for a party. I tried registering GOP but when I went to the local GOP office it wasn't there, they didn't answer the phone nor have an answering machine, and wouldn't respond on twitter.

It definitely wouldn't be a one size fits all. If we weren't running a candidate in an area and it is a state you could only vote by party affiliation and the GOPer was better than the DEM, or vice versa if it happened to be so, then it would make sense to be registered to that party.

That is definitely something to think about and consider.

At the same time our individual votes don't have a great influence. So giving up our ability to vote GOP to run the Libertarian party would be a net positive... we should hope at least!

For anyone:

do you need to have control of the state libertarian parties to influence (vote on) the leaders of the national libertarian party?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    haha. To be honest I don't know much about the current leaders. I looked up the chair a little but I could only find stuff relevant to 2016 election... I'll look more at some point but I didn't come across anything stating his principles. They may well be 'super hardcore' for all I know. But I don't get the feeling they have a great plan to change anything, just essentially wasting money.... but I do speak out of ignorance. I haven't followed the party or their actions closely.

It's not about libertarians taking over the Libertarian Party.

It's about competent libertarians ousting the incompetent libertarians who currently control the Libertarian Party.

For instance, job #1 after we seize the reins will be to fire whatever jackass thought this guy was a good Senate candidate.
    haha. He has some great flaws but I had thought he was a good candidate at one point. But I really see the hateful and violent approach, like him or X, more inflammatory than helpful at this point. Ron had great success and he did not pluck on those strings. If we're going to battle though I'll gladly let Invictus rally the troops.

Yea, nay?
    Nay.

It is a waste of time.

I appreciate third parties in general elections, but they are not winning elections because they don't put in the needed work. And it probably would cost 10 times as much to be elected as a Libertarian as it would as a Republican, if it is even possible to win a significant race as an LP candidate.

Not to go Collinz on everybody, but most people in the liberty movement simply do not understand how elections work. There are legislative races for example that have been won in Republican primaries by liberty candidates, with a few thousand votes. By working hard and targeting the GOP base. If these same candidates had ran these same races as Libertarians, it would require tens of thousands of votes because they would be won in the general election not the primary. It would require more volunteers and more money, which makes it almost impossible since you won't find more volunteers, and you will probably raise less money since no one takes third parties seriously. It is also complicated by the fact that an LP candidate would try to win with votes from all parties. This means a different sort of marketing. Running in a GOP primary is usually pretty simple, you just say you are the real "conservative", if you can convince a plurality or majority of the primary voters who turn out that you are, you win. Provided you survive the gutter politics they always throw at you.
    Last edited by William Tell; 07-25-2016 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Nay.

It is a waste of time.

I appreciate third parties in general elections, but they are not winning elections because they don't put in the needed work. And it probably would cost 10 times as much to be elected as a Libertarian as it would as a Republican, if it is even possible to win a significant race as an LP candidate.

Not to go Collinz on everybody, but most people in the liberty movement simply do not understand how elections work. There are legislative for example that have been won in Republican primaries by liberty candidates, with a few thousand votes. By working hard and targeting the GOP base. If these same candidates had ran these same races as Libertarians, it would require tens of thousands of votes because they would be won in the general election not the primary. It would require more volunteers and more money, which makes it almost impossible since you won't find more volunteers, and you will probably raise less money since no one takes third parties seriously. It is also complicated by the fact that an LP candidate would try to win with votes from all parties. This means a different sort of marketing. Running in a GOP primary is usually pretty simple, you just say you are the real "conservative", if you can convince a plurality or majority of the primary voters who turn out that you are, you win. Provided you survive the gutter politics they always throw at you.
    You make a very good point.. similar I think to what R3v is saying.

Are there areas where this would not be the case though? Kind of in line with what I was saying about targeting specific races. For instance... again I'm speaking out of mostly ignorance... but would Alaska and NH be potential areas where the people are more apt to vote 3rd party? And so what you mention would be in a severely diminished form?

You make a very good point.. similar I think to what R3v is saying.

Are there areas where this would not be the case though? Kind of in line with what I was saying about targeting specific races.
    I'm not sure. There are always exceptions to the rule. If the major party candidates have scandals or there is some kind of other large discontent, a serious third party candidate may have a chance, especially if the third party candidate is well decently funded, or a former officeholder.

For instance... again I'm speaking out of mostly ignorance... but would Alaska and NH be potential areas where the people are more apt to vote 3rd party? And so what you mention would be in a severely diminished form?
    Well, I'm mostly ignorant of other states as well. I think some areas are more pro third party than others, what I don't know is whether any of them are enough so to really make the difference. MN had significant third party activity for a while with their Independence party or whatever it was called, not sure it was really any use to liberty activists though.

Now, I would love it if a third party and some donors got some candidates, researched their races and what they need and for once provided them with enough support to try to make them actually competitive. Say, hypothetically try to win a state legislature seat or 3 in rural Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming, maybe NH like you mentioned. Some place where a winning candidate would make a difference, and they wouldn't be totally breaking the bank with an experiment like that.

I would love to be proven wrong, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that the third parties want to try, let alone anyone who wants to donate more than a few bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Nay.

It is a waste of time.

Not to go Collinz on everybody, but most people in the liberty movement simply do not understand how elections work. There are legislative races for example that have been won in Republican primaries by liberty candidates, with a few thousand votes. By working hard and targeting the GOP base. If these same candidates had ran these same races as Libertarians, it would require tens of thousands of votes because they would be won in the general election not the primary. It would require more volunteers and more money, which makes it almost impossible since you won't find more volunteers, and you will probably raise less money since no one takes third parties seriously. It is also complicated by the fact that an LP candidate would try to win with votes from all parties. This means a different sort of marketing. Running in a GOP primary is usually pretty simple, you just say you are the real "conservative", if you can convince a plurality or majority of the primary voters who turn out that you are, you win. Provided you survive the gutter politics they always throw at you.
    It. Is. A. Waste. Of. Time.

We all knew it was rigged. Beyond all odds we supported, worked for, dedicated life and wealth to Ron Paul. We know where that went. This whole DNC $#@! should clue anyone else in. We experienced it and now Dems do.
    Voting ain't going to change $#@!. Ever.
    Succession might. But, who has the balls for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Laugh, cry, or just WTF?
    Yes.

So I think I focused this question way to much, making it about what we should do rather than what the Libertarian Party should do. I know hearding RPFers is like hearding cats, but if it pleases you think about the question as this: what should the libertarian party do to have greater success electing principled libertarians in the future. Anything from the bylaws of the party, to which states, to which level of office, and the many other things I'm sure I can't think of... things that will make the LP better, more efficient, and more successful.

It. Is. A. Waste. Of. Time.

We all knew it was rigged. Beyond all odds we supported, worked for, dedicated life and wealth to Ron Paul. We know where that went. This whole DNC $#@! should clue anyone else in. We experienced it and now Dems do.
    Voting ain't going to change $#@!. Ever.
    Succession might. But, who has the balls for that?
    I think its less about a lack of balls and more about a lack of support. Not that any of the currently elected leaders have the balls to do it though even if they had the support.

I don't know if it always holds true but in this current state, where the populace is fine with government aggression so long as it is on a group they disagree with, you need widespread support for secession to succeed. Otherwise I think the government will just treat individuals involved like criminals. IMO it is better to move to a different country then attempt a secession that is sure to fail. I do agree secession would be the most expedient and best path forward.

So I think I focused this question way to much, making it about what we should do rather than what the Libertarian Party should do. I know hearding RPFers is like hearding cats, but if it pleases you think about the question as this: what should the libertarian party do to have greater success electing principled libertarians in the future. Anything from the bylaws of the party, to which states, to which level of office, and the many other things I'm sure I can't think of... things that will make the LP better, more efficient, and more successful.
    They definitely spread themselves too thin. They could win important state elections fairly easily if they directed all of their resources to a single state; and if they captured a state government and actually implemented major reforms that proved measurably successful (so that means economic reforms), they could then run on that record and expand to other states, influencing federal politics in the meantime through their control of the state's Congressional delegation. The first step would be to do some serious research to determine which state is most ripe for the plucking, taking into account such factors as: cost of political advertising in local media markets, ballot access requirements, number of independent voters or other measures of disillusionment with the GOP/Dems, past support for Ron/Rand/LP/etc. This is all fairly obvious; the major problems are (a) how to attract/produce talented candidates, and (b) how to attract money (real money). The solution to both those problems is winning elections, but then it becomes something of a chicken and egg situation.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why?
    he is a sadistic twisted azzhole who will likely die with the series unfinished

Yea, nay?

Seems like a much more feasible thing than taking over the republican party. We could fund-raise to get our message to the airwaves and our candidates elected. We could get rid of the stupid and wasteful primary system and have party officials select candidates to run the different races. We could know who our candidates are going to be before the dem and republican primaries even start so we could get cheaper tv advertising for the name recognition early, and keep up the pressure later with cheaper forms of outreach. We could direct funds where it makes sense and pull funds from areas where it doesn't. Build a lean mean fighting machine and grow our expanse as success allows. Proven success defeating establishment dems would surely open up more sources of funding. Change the party by-laws so we don't have to worry about losing control of the party...

And it doesn't really need to be seen as 'taking over', I'm sure many who hold positions in the party are willing to go a different direction if it provides greater chance for success.

This isn't super long or well thought out but that is because it is not a project for an individual. What say you? How tough a task is this to accomplish? Where is a sensible place to begin in planning out such a task? How do we get from where we are now to in control of the national Libertarian party and rules committee?

Thanks.
    I vote Yea. Yes, it is a long shot to get a libertarians elected at the federal level. It is much more unrealistic to think the GOP can be torn away from the likes of Goldman Sachs and be concerned with liberty. The GOP is dying anyway and the LP is polling much higher than in the past and gaining better ballot access.

I'm more prone to use the agorist party as my vehicle.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I think before we can try to take over anything at a national level new leaders need to emerge. We are seriously lacking in well spoken accomplished individuals to bring libertarian philosphy to the national stage. Gary Johnson seems as good as it gets right now.

As much as I admire grassroots leaders and quirky activists they just don't have the chops to take things mainstream. We need charasmatic, trustworthy people with a long track record of success to carry the flag for us. Thomas Massie is a fairly good example. We need more people like him.
    Last edited by brandon; 07-26-2016 at 06:33 PM.

The Libertarian party is toast. True libertarians should join the Constitution party. They need some new blood and I think the party platform will be more in line with real liberty principles if the base is expanded.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The LP is only good for one thing: making us all look like morons and sell-outs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast