Thread: Donald Trump 'sounds like he would use NATO' — Ron Paul to RT

Donald Trump 'sounds like he would use NATO' — Ron Paul to RT

Former congressman Dr. Ron Paul spoke with RT to offer his non-interventionist perspective on both Donald Trump’s nomination acceptance speech and his foreign policy. Despite Trump’s rhetoric, Paul believes “he sounds like he would use NATO.”

Paul, who ran for president in 1988 on the Libertarian Party ticket and then as a Republican in 2008 and 2012, spoke with RT’s Manila Chan on Friday, the day following Trump’s big speech at the Republican National Convention.

Considering Paul helped propel a movement favoring non-intervention in foreign affairs and an end to wars and occupations in the Middle East, there has been much speculation as to whether Paul might support the Republican presidential nominee or at least some of his views.

Trump has called NATO, the North American Treaty Organization, “obsolete” and recently said, if he were elected president, the US would not be strictly held to its Article V provisions to militarily defend any allied nation, especially those not paying their fair share.

“I don't think it's outlandish to say that [NATO] members pay their dues,” Paul said. “I don't particularly like NATO at all anyway.”

Paul clarified, however, that Trump “is all over” the issue of NATO.

“He does speak out and make statements that I don't quite know what he's talking about, because he says we ought to be out of NATO,” Paul said. “And then at other times, he says, no, I don't really want to do this.”

“The other day he said that we ought to declare war after there was the attack in France, and get NATO to fight the battle against ISIS, so he sounds like he would use NATO,” Paul told RT.

“I personally don't believe that the circumstances, if [Trump] were president, that he would resist the national, international pressure to do what most people expect, that they would react,” the former Texas congressman added.

Paul believes Trump is getting in tune with many Americans growing weary of global government agreements, be they economic or defense-related.

“He throws a bone to the anti-NATO interventionist group, saying if they don't pay their way, we're not going to do it.”

That arrangement sounds like a “mercenary business deal,” Paul says, though that position is still “slightly more restrained than the others,” he points out.

What Paul called “more extreme” were those “who want to put more and more weapons and missiles on Russia's borders.”

“I think interventionism hurts our security,” Paul stressed.

“And if people worry about terrorist attacks, they have to try to understand why terrorism comes about, and it has to do with our policy,” he said, adding, “People, when they get scared, they want safety.”

Asked whether Trump represented any positive change, Paul answered, “I don't think it's a healthy sign, because I don't believe that his policies are any different.”

“I think he wants to make government great again,” Paul chuckled.

Calling Trump “another manager,” the libertarian standard-bearer also showed little mercy to Senator Ted Cruz of Texas.

Paul said Cruz was pursuing his own “self interest,” like all politicians, when he refused to endorse Trump in a speech at the Republican National Convention, in which he was nearly booed off stage.

“If conditions get worse, and Trump does not thrive, I'm sure that Ted Cruz will be around to say, ‘Told you so, let me do the managing. If Trump can't manage it, I bet I can.’”
    https://www.rt.com/usa/352824-donald...nato-ron-paul/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well , I do not think the Good Doctor should waste time listening to what Trump says , as he has discovered , that is something different that happens daily .
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-26-2016 at 10:40 AM.

I keep arguing that our election right now is about who is the worst person in the world.
    lol....
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Thank you Dr. Gadfly.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

A big difference between Donald Trump and Ron Paul is that Trump knows what he can say
    and what he can't say if he actually wants to be elected to the Presidency.

Trump knows that most voters in this country would vote against him if he said
    flat-out to dissemble NATO. So he drops hints about it instead but doesn't allow
    the media or Hillary to fearmonger.

The simple fact is that the majority of voters in both parties would fear a break-up
    of NATO and many would not support Trump if he blatantly called for its end.

You have to WIN before you can actually do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    A big difference between Donald Trump and Ron Paul is that Trump knows what he can say
    and what he can't say if he actually wants to be elected to the Presidency.

Trump knows that most voters in this country would vote against him if he said
    flat-out to dissemble NATO. So he drops hints about it instead but doesn't allow
    the media or Hillary to fearmonger.

The simple fact is that the majority of voters in both parties would fear a break-up
    of NATO and many would not support Trump if he blatantly called for its end.

You have to WIN before you can actually do anything.
    I dunno , I doubt the avg american really knows what nato or the UN is .