Thread: Russian warplanes reportedly bombed US base in Syria

Russian warplanes reportedly bombed US base in Syria

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07...-in-syria.html

Russian warplanes reportedly bombed a secret military base in Syria used by elite American and British forces last month.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that the Russian strike on the CIA-linked site was part of a campaign by Russia to pressure the White House to agree to closer cooperation in the Syrian skies, U.S. military and intelligence officials said.

Despite the fact that some forces could have been killed and the bombing dampened relations between Russia and the Pentagon and CIA, the White House and State Department still persued a compromise.

The U.S. and Russia agreed to a pact last week to target airstrikes against the Al Qaeda affiliate in the region – Nusra Front – despite objections from the Pentagon and CIA. Russia agreed to stop airstrikes on U.S.-backed rebels and restrain the Syrian air campaign. The two sides are still talking about designations where Russia would need U.S. approval to conduct an airstrike.

According to The Wall Street Journal, deal backers in the White House and State Department believe U.S. airstrikes on the Nusra Front in areas that were previously occupied by Russian forces would provide protection for allies in Syria.

However, officials in the Pentagon and CIA contend that Washington bowed to Moscow in the deal and believe that the U.S. needs to confront Russia.

The Russian strike on the base occurred on June 16. The U.S. and British forces help maintain what is described as a buffer zone in Jordan. Forces go into Syria to help protect Jordan from Islamic State, U.S. officials told The Journal. Forces didn’t spend the night, due to security reasons.

Nearly a day before the strike, 20 of 24 British special forces pulled out of the base. The U.S. tracked a Russian plane heading toward the base. The warplane dropped a cluster bomb, according to U.S. and rebel officials.

After the first strike, U.S. central command air operations center in Qatar called Russia’s air campaign headquarters in Latakia, Syria to tell them that the base shouldn’t be attacked.

However, Russian forces struck again nearly 90 minutes after the call was made. Russian pilots didn’t respond to U.S. calls using frequencies the two sides had previously agreed to use in case of an emergency.

At least four rebels were killed in strikes.

Russian officials initially told the Pentagon that the military thought it was an Islamic State facility, but U.S. officials rejected the notion because of what they described as a unique way the base was fortified, The Journal reported.

Russians then said that the Jordanians had given them the go-ahead to strike the base, but the U.S. double-checked and said no such authorization was given. Later, Russia told the U.S. that their headquarters wasn’t in position to call off the strike because the U.S. didn’t provide them with the proper coordinates of the base.

U.S. officials said that the Pentagon had never asked the Russians to steer clear of that area because it wasn’t close to the front lines and Russian aircraft didn’t operate in that part of Syria anyway.

The strike has increased the distrust between U.S. and American forces in Syria.
    According to the Wall Street Journal, the U.S. didn’t want to give Russia any more information than they had to.

Since the strike, the U.S. has told Russia to steer clear of the Jordanian border.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is a U.S. base doing in Syria?
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Sounds like Putin is bombing ISIS!

Please tell me nobody made it out alive.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Wow. I'm surprised the Americans admitted to even having a base.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    was my first thought
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The Jordanian border is a KNOWN area for gun running.
    The smuggling route into Syria with armament and ammunition
    is because of the rugged terrain and the porous border
    and has been used to funnel support for Nusra, FSA and ISIS.
    Had read articles, Have seen maps more than a year ago
    reporting and showing locations and routes of CIA involvement there.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 07-23-2016 at 12:26 AM.

There's the government propaganda that Zippy usually peddles and then there's this.

Russia’s June Attack on South Syria Rebel Base Was a Day After UK Troops Left

A June airstrike by Russian warplanes against a rebel base near al-Tanf in southern Syria came within just 24 hours of hitting British special forces deployed in the country, US officials are now claiming. The base is said to have belonged to the New Syrian Army, a relatively minor rebel faction that receives US and British backing and operates out of Jordan.

The Pentagon has been harping on about this incident for over a month now, claiming a “dramatic showdown” with Russian jets in the skies over the base, which ended when the US planes left to refuel, and Russia bombed the base, killing four rebels.

The claim now is that 20 British SAS fighters were at the base the previous day, and that the attack amounted to Russian “bullying” to try to get the West to cooperate more. Russia insists that they have no idea who is or isn’t a US ally at any given time, and suggested the US provide an up-to-date map of who they’re supporting at any given time so they don’t bomb those people.

The area around Tanf also has active Nusra and ISIS forces, so it is unsurprising that Russia would be keen to target a significant rebel base there, particularly since Nusra is almost always embedded in any given rebel base, even the nominally “moderate” ones.

While the British government hasn’t discussed their presence in Syria, the New Syrian Army has publicized the fact that British forces “frequently” enter Syria from neighboring Jordan to coordinate with them. The New Syrian Army still controls the Tanf crossing into Iraq, but a recent offensive against the more valuable al-Bukamal crossing ended in the group being soundly defeated by ISIS, to the point there were doubts if they’d ever fully recover.
    http://news.antiwar.com/2016/07/22/r...k-troops-left/

Zippy's title: Russian warplanes reportedly bombed US base in Syria
    Antiwar's title: Russia’s June Attack on South Syria Rebel Base Was a Day After UK Troops Left

We report. You decide.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol

The strike has increased the distrust between U.S. and American forces in Syria.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

There's the government propaganda that Zippy usually peddles and then there's this.

Yep, that's why I voted the thread terrible. Terrible for shilling. He also gets a neg rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

And we didn't declare war on them????

Oh well. At least Trump will make our military Great again.

Have a closet full of this stuff, just collecting dust currently

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    And we didn't declare war on them????

Oh well. At least Trump will make our military Great again.

Have a closet full of this stuff, just collecting dust currently

LOL. Funny shirt. The Texan comes thru with yet another good laugh. Good for health and the soul. +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Lol

Leave it to Fox to release something with that dumb ass line in it and various typos. I guess they don't have any editors at Fox. I make it a habit to ignore most news items with typos. It shows some random biased mouthpiece whipped something up and posted it without oversight.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Training people who will be our enemies within 2 decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Training people who will be our enemies within 2 decades.
    Two decades... or two months!
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

'Zactly.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I predicted this back in '08

That's no moon...
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Does this mean Putin has bigger ballz than Obama?

Russia insists that they have no idea who is or isn’t a US ally at any given time, and suggested the US provide an up-to-date map of who they’re supporting at any given time
    Yah, no $#@!ing $#@! there, Ivan.

I'd sure as hell like to see that myself.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic