Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump-Kasich Feud Has GOP Worried About Ohio

Trump-Kasich Feud Has GOP Worried About Ohio

Trump-Kasich Feud Has GOP Worried About Ohio
    By Caitlin Huey-Burns
    July 22, 2016

CLEVELAND — Donald Trump will leave Ohio after a week-long convention without the support of its Republican governor, an integral figure within a state that can determine who wins the presidency.

John Kasich has refused to support Trump or attend the convention in his home state, and instead engaged in counter programming around Cleveland that was decidedly non-Trumpian. At one of his many events within walking distance from the convention arena, he told an audience at a think tank on Tuesday that he was “very, very concerned” about the “stew of growing nationalism, growing isolationism, anti-immigration and anti-trade.”

The governor’s schedule and his refusal to welcome the Republican presidential candidate to his state irritated the Trump campaign and some party officials seeking unity. Trump Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort began the week by criticizing the governor, calling him “petulant” and an “embarrassment” to Ohio.

“It’s very sad that the host governor doesn’t have the decency to show — he doesn’t have to endorse Trump, but he could have come out of decency and said, ‘Welcome to Ohio. I’m glad you’re in Ohio,’” Newt Gingrich told RealClearPolitics. “I think it’s goofy for John to do this.”

The war of words and actions could be consequential to Republicans’ hope of winning the White House in November. Kasich is a twice-elected GOP governor with a vast political network that reaches multiple key constituencies. The comments from Manafort struck a nerve with the state party, on which the Trump campaign will depend to mobilize voters.

“We’re going to work hard for him to carry the state. But if he or his campaign keeps criticizing John Kasich, he’s going to lose. So that’s something that needs to stop,” Ohio Republican Party Chairman Matt Borges told RCP. “We’re the people who have been doing nothing but winning elections in this state for 25 years. He knows he needs to listen to people who know what they’re doing.”

The feud could create trouble for the Trump campaign’s hiring in Ohio. The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that one veteran Republican and close Kasich ally turned down an opportunity to join the campaign.

“Do endorsements matter? Not really. But does Donald Trump have a message right now that can win Ohio? No,” said Chris Schrimpf, Kasich’s communications director.

“The most important thing to Governor Kasich right now is making sure Rob Portman gets re-elected,” Schrimpf said, referring to the Republican senator engaged in one of the most competitive re-election contests this cycle. “It’s the rare instance where the Trump folks would be lucky that the Portman campaign is one of the best run in the country with one of the best ground games in the country, which they’ve set up on their own.”

After the Ohio governor left the race in May, the Trump and Kasich campaigns spoke about possible endorsements. (The New York Times reported that Trump’s son approached Kasich about being a running mate. The governor declined and wasn’t vetted.) Soon after, Kasich told Trump to read his “Two Paths” speech that he gave in New York in April that urged against politics of fear and division. Trump never responded, according to the Kasich team.

“They have two very different, competing views for the Republican Party in America,” Ohio Secretary of State John Husted told RCP of the governor and Trump. “We’re still having the competing discussion about what the future of the Republican Party should be. And frankly, I think if we can get to somewhere where John Kasich was — the hopeful, optimistic view of America … then the GOP will have a winning message. But right now we don’t have one.”

Polls show Ohio to be one of the most competitive battleground states this cycle. No Republican has won the presidency without Ohio. “Ohio is middle America, but Ohio really is the determiner of where this nation goes,” House Speaker Paul Ryan said this week at the Buckeye State delegation breakfast. “As Ohio goes, so goes America.”

The Trump campaign believes the candidate’s populist appeal could attract support beyond traditional Republicans. Hosting the convention in Cleveland was considered an effort by the party to win back Ohio, a state that has been elusive since the Bush years. The campaign hired Republican veteran Bob Paduchik, who ran George W. Bush’s Ohio operation, to head up the Trump efforts there.

“You win battleground states by addition, by building coalitions. The onus is on Mr. Trump and his campaign to win Ohio,” Kasich’s top strategist, John Weaver, told RCP. “I think the anti-Clinton message is important, but we’re just talking to each other. So, for the disaffected Republicans and Independents and disaffected Democrats, what’s the positive message about bringing people together?”

But the Ohio Republican Party remains resolute about its potential this November.

“Paul Manafort made a mistake this week. Everybody makes mistakes. Sometimes really stupid ones. But we will recover from this and lay our sabers down and move forward to win Ohio,” said Borges. “I think the message was delivered.”
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...io_131283.html
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “You win battleground states by addition, by building coalitions. The onus is on Mr. Trump and his campaign to win Ohio,” Kasich’s top strategist, John Weaver, told RCP. “I think the anti-Clinton message is important, but we’re just talking to each other. So, for the disaffected Republicans and Independents and disaffected Democrats, what’s the positive message about bringing people together?”
    That's an incredibly important point and what was missing from the entire convention. This is why I think the GOP are going to get their asses handed to them down-ballot.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    That's an incredibly important point and what was missing from the entire convention. This is why I think the GOP are going to get their asses handed to them down-ballot.
    I am going to try and remember this prediction come Nov.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Not with Hillary at the top of the ticket. Maybe if this was scheming, shiny new Obama vs. Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Not with Hillary at the top of the ticket. Maybe if this was scheming, shiny new Obama vs. Trump.
    Clinton is not trash talking her former opponents' supporters and demanding their support while at the same time, claiming she doesn't need them to win.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Kasich and Cruz are already campaigning for the 2020 Primary.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Tom Cotton also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Don't you think that says something about the nominee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Don't you think that says something about the nominee?
    It says more about the GOP as a phony opposition party.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    It says more about the GOP as a phony opposition party.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AuH20 again.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

The Reagan Battalion @StopTrumpPAC

A day after the Republican convention, the Republican nominee is out campaigning against his main rivals Cruz & Kasich.

Hillary glows.
    11:56 AM - 22 Jul 2016

https://twitter.com/StopTrumpPAC/sta...33293332500480

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Clinton is not trash talking her former opponents' supporters and demanding their support while at the same time, claiming she doesn't need them to win.
    Its good that you post these threads to help Hillary. It real good. Everybody loves you for doing such fine, good things.

Can you wish Trump into the cornfield for us? He's a bad man and he should go away. We need president Hillary cause she is a good, just like you. Please CPUd, wish him into the cornfield.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Its good that you post these threads to help Hillary. It real good. Everybody loves you for doing such fine, good things.

Can you wish Trump into the cornfield for us? He's a bad man and he should go away. We need president Hillary cause she is a good, just like you. Please CPUd, wish him into the cornfield.
    I don't post these threads to help Hillary.

delete
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Now how are liberty folks going to use this to problem to their advantage? (Please see upper right hand corner if you are confused about liberty folks supported by this forum)
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Why do you post them?

Why don't you treat Hillary in the same way as Trump?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why do you post them?

He explained this. It because Trump destroyed Rand.

I don't believe it for a minute.

Why do you post them?

Go make some Clinton threads and see what happens.

Why do you post them?

The mods will start taking your green blobs away for insinuating that CPUd is a Hillary supporter.

* See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

The irony is -by their logic means that since they post Trump threads then they are helping / supporting Trump and should be banned.

John Kasich has refused to support Trump or attend the convention in his home state, and instead engaged in counter programming around Cleveland that was decidedly non-Trumpian. At one of his many events within walking distance from the convention arena, he told an audience at a think tank on Tuesday that he was “very, very concerned” about the “stew of growing nationalism, growing isolationism, anti-immigration and anti-trade.”
    Indeed

The governor’s schedule and his refusal to welcome the Republican presidential candidate to his state irritated the Trump campaign and some party officials seeking unity. Trump Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort began the week by criticizing the governor, calling him “petulant” and an “embarrassment” to Ohio.
    Someone get the Trump campaign a thesaurus, stat.

“It’s very sad that the host governor doesn’t have the decency to show — he doesn’t have to endorse Trump, but he could have come out of decency and said, ‘Welcome to Ohio. I’m glad you’re in Ohio,’” Newt Gingrich told RealClearPolitics. “I think it’s goofy for John to do this.”
    ...and a dictionary, with which to locate "irony."

Yuge deals, and winning, and "believe me"...

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Interesting reply. I can't help but wonder why you refuse to answer a simple and straight forward question.

So what now... do you report me to a mod for having the gall to ask you a question?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

Interesting reply. I can't help but wonder why you refuse to answer a simple and straight forward question.

So what now... do you report me to a mod for having the gall to ask you a question?
    That's his defense strategy to pretend to be obtuse so you have to type more and waste your time while he makes $#@! posts all over the forum. Then he will come back and spam your replies away with more $#@! posts.

Edit: whether intentional or not on his part propaganda works this way. He spams you with information so that you at some point start to internalize some of the statements as true. He will make a liberal article posts like Republicans laugh at god. Then he will mention this like four times in every thread. Behold the seed is planted. Then you see others defend it.
    Last edited by silverhandorder; 07-22-2016 at 03:29 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    That's his defense strategy to pretend to be obtuse so you have to type more and waste your time while he makes $#@! posts all over the forum. Then he will come back and spam your replies away with more $#@! posts.

Edit: whether intentional or not on his part propaganda works this way. He spams you with information so that you at some point start to internalize some of the statements as true. He will make a liberal article posts like Republicans laugh at god. Then he will mention this like four times in every thread. Behold the seed is planted. Then you see others defend it.
    Interesting theory, but untrue.

Interesting theory, but untrue.
    Oh it's true even if you are not aware of it. The flip side of it is that you are butt hurt and still using pretty impressive spam techniques. It's just much sadder if untrue.

Oh it's true even if you are not aware of it. The flip side of it is that you are butt hurt and still using pretty impressive spam techniques. It's just much sadder if untrue.
    Still way off base...

Still way off base...
    You don't get to decide that. You proven to be a liar and just wrong all the time.

You don't get to decide that. You proven to be a liar and just wrong all the time.
    I guess you believe if you keep posting it, you can somehow make it true.

THE PLAN was for Jeb or similar elite puppet to win the nomination, with Kasich as his running mate, to run a FL/OH ticket as a simple paint-by-numbers, supposedly 'slam-dunk' fall campaign strategy. The Bush clan, and Kasich are still furious that Trump upset their apple cart. It's really that simple.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast