Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STRANGER THINGS: TV Show

STRANGER THINGS: TV Show

I'm only a few episodes in and this show is freaking awesome!!!!

If you haven't started this Netflix original yet, get started. Absolutely badass.

It's ET meets GOONIES meets IT meets something else..... 80s nostalgia, awesome horror...

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Government conspiracies, MKUltra references.... awesome soundtrack/score
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

It's getting better ratings and reviews than almost any show I've seen in recent memory

- Diogenes of Sinope

What influences can you identify in this show?

easily:

ET
    Poltergeist
    Silver Bullet
    Firestarter

others:
    Stand By Me
    Flight of the Navigator
    D.A.R.Y.L.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

They also re-stage quick shots from movies. There are a couple shots of the garage/shed that resemble the one in ET, plus the scene where they dress ET for halloween. They did the cat from Pet Sematary.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

It's funny they make such a thing of the girl with the shaved head; to kids today, it probably isn't a big deal, but back then was probably on the same level as guys with earrings.

Yeah, this was awesome. And with the reviews, I'm sure we can expect a second season.

The only drawback was that there were only 8 chapters.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I'm going to check it out today! I heard it was great.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Question: Does Winona Ryder chew the scenery like that in all 8 episodes? She takes me out of every scene, and I love her! Also?

Streep definitely wore it better.

2. Winona Ryder wanted Joyce's hair to resemble Meryl Streep's in 'Silkwood'

Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I liked the scene where kids on bikes being chased by white vans... ET anyone? This show was so awesome I may just watch it again.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I liked how they did "the upside down". In Poltergeist, I always wanted to see what it looked like, and was never a big fan of how it was done in the sequels.

Kids building traps and fighting the monster was a staple for those 80's films. I LOL'd at the black kid when he put on the camo bandanna. That always meant serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, this was awesome. And with the reviews, I'm sure we can expect a second season.

That's why the kids were complaining at the end. They thought their game would take longer.

Just finished. Great show, indeed.

Tried to watch this last night but Nexflix said I didn't have enough broadband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    That's why the kids were complaining at the end. They thought their game would take longer.
    Yep. That was clever.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Tried to watch this last night but Nexflix said I didn't have enough broadband.
    Weird.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We sat and binge watched the whole thing Sunday. Had a lazy day, great show.
    "The Patriarch"

Finally got my Netflix working and started watching. Great show!

LOLZ

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I liked it. It was very nostalgic for me. I and my friends were a lot like those kids.

Also, Winona Ryder was outstanding. I never thought of her as a really great actress before. But in this, she was.

I was sad for her when her boss fronted her the money to buy a new phone, then she took it home and it burned up, too.

I was sad for her when her boss fronted her the money to buy a new phone, then she took it home and it burned up, too.
    You didn't expect that to happen? Never replace a part without knowing what caused it to fail.

well done, I thought

Netflix been doing nice , Bloodlines too !

thanks for the heads up, good show

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was the same age as the kids in this in 83. They nailed it, it's exactly like the 80's was.

We just finished it tonight.

What influences can you identify in this show?

easily:

ET
    Poltergeist
    Silver Bullet
    Firestarter

others:
    Stand By Me
    Flight of the Navigator
    D.A.R.Y.L.
    Jacob's Ladder

Last edited by dannno; 07-30-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

It's been trending hard and *spoiler alert* they totally setup for a second season at the end.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I finished it..definitely had a nostalgic feel. Winona and that snaggle toothed kid both got on my nerves and way too few episodes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast