Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Eggs Are NOT Healthy

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Just happen to be the most prolific of my co-worker's chickens lol There are brown and white and other colors, too, but she usually gives me the blue/green ones because I once said they match the paint in my room (they were more of a sage color that time).
    It's just odd is all. I wonder what makes them that color. I grew up with chickens that just wandered around the yard and I've never seen an egg that color. Ah well. Cool looking eggs none the less. What do they taste like? The same as the regular ones?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most of the farm eggs taste similar. Some colors are very breed-specific. They aren't really that odd, but it's not like your regular ole chicken that's been laying white/brown/speckled eggs her whole life is suddenly going to drop a blue or pink one At least I would hope.

There's some overly complex explanation of what ACTUALLY happens to cause the variations in color, but I just like them

Last edited by MelissaWV; 07-18-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Even prettier picture:

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I heard somebody once at the grocery store asking if they dyed their brown eggs. "Aren't they supposed to be white?"

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love duck eggs too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Dang. I feel like going on a hayride now. Those are some neat looking eggs. Cool stuff. We learn something new every day. I've seen/had those amber colored ones, though. The yolks were deep orange colored, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    You know how you can tell your argument is flawed?
    You know how you can tell you're ignorant? Those aren't even my arguments. I was just giving a summary of what the video is about. It's obvious you didn't even watch the video. You might want to watch it before you try to rebuke it.

You're seriously going to run out of things to eat, judging by most of your posts, or at least narrow down your options to the point that malnutrition and homogenizing of your food supply will both become dangers. You could decide that sweet potatoes and kale are the only two things safe to eat, then get taken out by e. coli because you are spinning the kale roulette wheel. Diversify and pretend for a moment that you're an omnivore capable of making your own dietary decisions.
    I'm going to run out of things to eat because I choose not to eat eggs? Not sure what part of the country you're from, but even if I was eating strictly plant based, there's so many different plant food options where I'm from that I'm probably eating only half of the options available. It's almost too confusing how many plant based options there are.

Sorry my thread showing the scientific evidence that eggs aren't healthy made you butthurt. I just posted it in response to the other thread that wrongly made people think they are, an article written by a company selling the very product they are hyping up. Most people call that a conflict of interest.

Oh and as for the video (dear God I actually wasted nine minutes of my life... a portion of which was devoted to watching a sheep butt someone to nasty heavy metal music).

- If your cholesterol is 200 it can't go higher due to diet since it is "already saturated to the limit" says the video. People will be startled to know this at work, particularly those working with people whose levels are much higher than that. For your information, 200 mg/dL is actually considered literally JUST past the line for normal serum cholesterol, so any claim that you are "saturated to the limit" at 200 mg/dL is a faulty foundation upon which to criticize a study.

- Video maker talks at length about differences in baseline cholesterol influenced by genetics and other factors, but makes a universal statement that eggs are unhealthy.

- He essentially states that studies should be based on the individual's change within a controlled study over time, which is actually more or less what he spent the first couple of minutes finding fault with. Over time, those with high cholesterol to begin with would not likely see as big a change as those who start out low and are followed as they add insane amounts of cholesterol (which he talks about unilaterally as if all of it is created equal) to their diet.

- If you bother to read some of the portions he doesn't highlight, you'll see items that contradict the crap he is droning on and on about.

- For someone so concerned about poor study design, for instance, he seems to be taking studies that consist of 100-140 people as gospel. I mean damn. One of the studies he's talking about had FOURTEEN adults in it. Fourteen.

- You'll be interested to note that this study discussing the reduction of anti-inflammatory potential of HDL also says that HDL improves after consumption of polyunsaturated fat. What does this have to do with eggs? Nothing, directly, but it's small words on a background while he's talking, so why care?

- While he's speaking, we can look again at the background to where it says "Consumption of 2 eggs per day with the meals, for 3 weeks resulted in a minor elevation in plasma glucose and urea concentrations." It then does discuss raising plasma cholesterol concentrations... over the course of 3 damned weeks eating 2 eggs per day. That's right, folks. If you eat 42 eggs in just a few weeks, you might cause yourself harm.

- Same page, different conclusion to the one he's actually spewing out of his mouth. It concludes that consumption of eggs MAY contribute to the accelerated atherosclerosis prevalent in populations with high cholesterol intake. Man that's some damning language right there. May.

- I got a phone call and refused to go back to learn why egg whites are allegedly terrible. When I came back he was starting in with the "eating eggs is in no way justifiable because chickens are treated poorly" argument. Yeah. Those chickens walking around and eating bugs and tucking in at the coop would not lay a single egg if my co-workers and neighbors didn't force them to. ... Regardless of how idiotic that is, why is it under "Why Eggs Are Not Healthy"? If the point is that "mass-market eggs are terrible for you" then I agree; they're bad for everyone.

- Thanks for not being mildly racist or anything; the hillbilly/redneck idiot characters were totally necessary to make your point, especially the wife with the bad teeth.

- And as someone with a deep, important set of facts to lay out once said: DIE YOUNG OF A HEART ATTACK OR STROKE BECAUSE THAT'S ALL A FAT PATHETIC $#@!ING LIAR LIKE YOU DESERVES!

You can find a number of not-by-egg-people studies published more recently than most of those that flash by behind him. You can find them from NZ, or England, or the US, or wherever you feel like. Many of them talk about people at high risk for heart disease keeping it down to a few eggs per week (as opposed to, say, 14... I am still floored someone's eating 42 eggs in three weeks for a study) and not compounding the issue by serving the eggs on white bread smothered in gravy with a side of fried potatoes and sausage which is seriously the problem more than the two or three eggs.

Frankly, this is all some first-world-problem BS right here. I really want to find a time machine, go back, and let people know that in the distant future people will have so much food to eat, and so many choices, and so many gods-be-damned time on their hands that they will reject some of the most basic things ever eaten as wholly unhealthy.

Well what do you know....
    http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...nsumption.html

excerpt:
    Nutrition journal suggests new guidelines for egg consumption

And in good news for lovers of a frittata or scramble, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found there were no adverse effects from having as many as 12 over seven days.

The researchers found that weight loss was similar over a year for people on a low-egg (two a week) and a high-egg (12 a week) diet.
    They discovered that even participants with type-2 diabetes did not suffer adverse effects from eating a diet high in eggs such as inflammation, cardiometabolic risk levels or raised glucose levels.
    “A healthy diet based on population guidelines and including more eggs than currently recommended by some countries may be safely consumed,” concluded the researchers.

It has prompted a call for a review of the National Heart Foundation guidelines, which recommend just six eggs a week.
    While eggs — particularly the yolk — are high in fat, they are full of vitamins, minerals, protein and healthy omega-3 fats. The yolk is packed with nutrients, so there’s no need to opt for egg-whites only.

Eggs do not significantly raise cholesterol in the blood, the Mayo Clinic reports, and people who replace a grain-based breakfast with eggs have been found to eat fewer calories over the day.

Check out that breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

6 Reasons Why Eggs Are the Healthiest Food on the Planet
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...lanet#section1
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

ohhh i see. Now that makes sense why eggs in not healthy.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    This study?!

Effect of a high-egg diet on cardiometabolic risk factors in people with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes and Egg (DIABEGG) Study
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25833969
    *sigh*

When will people learn?

Egg Board Funds Fake Study

Things this video points out:

- This egg study was "Supported by a research grant from the Australian Egg Corporation"

- One of the study's authors is an advisory member to the Egg Nutrition Council which provides "independent and unbiased" advice on eggs to the--wait for it--Australian Egg Corporation

- This Egg industry-funded study purposely skewed the results by choosing participants who:
    a) mostly had prediabetes, or full-blown diabetes
    b) were mostly obese
    c) one third of subjects were already taking cholesterol-lowering medications
    d) most already had high LDL & high total cholesterol levels which means their cholesterol can't really go up much higher
    e) asked the low-eating egg group to eat more animal protein, such as meat, chicken, or fish, that they knew would raise their cholesterol levels

- This study had no control group

- Another recent egg study* of over 9,000 participants from Korea with zero conflicts of interest showed that diabetic subjects eating 4 or more eggs per week increased their cardiovascular disease rates by almost 300%, but hardly got any attention in the media because this study didn't "tell people good things about their bad habits"

*Longitudinal association between egg consumption and the risk of cardiovascular disease: interaction with type 2 diabetes mellitus
    Jiyoung Jang, Min-Jeong Shin, Oh Yoen Kim & Kyong Park
    Conclusions
    Higher egg consumption may increase the risk for CVD in Korean patients with T2DM [type 2 diabetes mellitus]
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41387-018-0033-1

farreri's thread gets bumped and he magically shows up. It's a RPF miracle.

*note to self: don't bump his threads*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    farreri's thread gets bumped and he magically shows up. It's a RPF miracle.
    I magically appear after my thread was bumped two weeks ago?! Nice to see you again too, Suz.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123