Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Campaign Evaluation: Mike Pence (VPOTUS)

  1. #1
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX
    Bryan's Avatar


    Blog Entries
    6
    Posts
    8,406
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Campaign Evaluation: Mike Pence (VPOTUS)

    This thread is intended to be a collection point of the strong pros and cons of any potential liberty candidate / campaign that is being discussed / promoted on the forum. You are welcome to post both positive and not-so-positive attributes about the candidate as they related to the evaluation.


    Important notes:
    * This thread will be following the site's "Functional Debate Principles".
    * This is an official evaluation, the "Site Issue Evaluations" guidelines apply.
    * If you have any questions on procedural matters contact the staff outside of this thread.
    * Anything off-topic will be deleted; stick strictly to the issue and facts at hand.


    Information

    Candidate Information
    Candidate Name: Mike Pence
    Office Sought: Vice President of the United States
    Ticket: Trump
    Party: Republican Party
    Website: https://www.donaldjtrump.com
    Social Media:
    https://www.facebook.com/mikepence
    https://twitter.com/govpencein


    Race Information: Competition & Demographics
    Incumbent: Obama / Biden
    Non-Incumbent Candidates from Other Parties: VP: Weld




    Evaluation

    Candidate Profile: Issues
    Civil Liberties: [Rating TBD]
    Constitutional Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Economic Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Foreign Policy: [Rating TBD]
    Social Issues: [Rating TBD]
    Overall Issues Rating: [Rating TBD]


    Candidate Profile: Personal
    Honesty: [Rating TBD]
    Issue consistency: [Rating TBD]
    Personality: [Rating TBD]
    Associations: [Rating TBD]
    Relevant experience: [Rating TBD]
    Personal history: [Rating TBD]
    Overall Personal Rating: [Rating TBD]

    Candidate Rating: [Rating TBD]



    Race Profile Rating
    Race Impact Rating: [Rating TBD]
    Victory Impact Rating: [Rating TBD]

    Race Profile Rating: [Rating TBD]



    Overall Rating:



    Evaluation Commentary

    Key strong points:

    Possible weak points:

    Possible deal breakers:

    Unknown points for further research:

    Rating commentary:
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

    Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

    I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

  4. #3
    Pence is actually not bad on a number of issues. However, the below 33 issues are troubling for me. He wants to make the PATRIOT Act permanent, voted to continue unwarranted wiretaps, supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, supported CAFTA, and wants more government in the bedroom. No thanks.

    Future of conservatism demands traditional marriage. (Feb 2008)
    Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
    Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
    Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
    Voted YES on more funding for Mexico to fight drugs. (Jun 2008)
    Voted YES on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
    Rated -20 by NORML, indicating a "hard-on-drugs" stance. (Dec 2006)
    Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. (Jul 2004)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003)
    Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile. (Jul 2003)
    Voted NO on protecting whistleblowers from employer recrimination. (Mar 2007)
    Voted YES on extending the PATRIOT Act's roving wiretaps. (Feb 2011)
    Voted NO on requiring FISA warrants for wiretaps in US. (Mar 2008)
    Voted YES on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. (Aug 2007)
    Voted NO on restricting no-bid defense contracts. (Mar 2007)
    Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)
    Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
    Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
    Voted YES on supporting new position of Director of National Intelligence. (Dec 2004)
    Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
    Rated 0% by the AU, indicating opposition to church-state separation. (Dec 2006)
    Designate first weekend in May as Ten Commandments Weekend. (Apr 2011)
    Voted YES on retroactive immunity for telecoms' warrantless surveillance. (Jun 2008)
    Voted YES on increasing fines for indecent broadcasting. (Feb 2005)
    Voted YES on banning Internet gambling by credit card. (Jun 2003)
    Voted NO on investigating Bush impeachment for lying about Iraq. (Jun 2008)
    Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)
    Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
    Voted YES on approving removal of Saddam & valiant service of US troops. (Mar 2004)
    Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
    No contact & enforce sanctions on Iran until threat is gone. (May 2011)
    Support the completion of the US mission in Iraq. (Feb 2007)


  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    No thanks.

    Future of conservatism demands traditional marriage. (Feb 2008)
    Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
    Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
    Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
    Voted YES on more funding for Mexico to fight drugs. (Jun 2008)
    Voted YES on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
    Rated -20 by NORML, indicating a "hard-on-drugs" stance. (Dec 2006)
    Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. (Jul 2004)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003)
    Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile. (Jul 2003)
    Voted NO on protecting whistleblowers from employer recrimination. (Mar 2007)
    Voted YES on extending the PATRIOT Act's roving wiretaps. (Feb 2011)
    Voted NO on requiring FISA warrants for wiretaps in US. (Mar 2008)
    Voted YES on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. (Aug 2007)
    Voted NO on restricting no-bid defense contracts. (Mar 2007)
    Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)
    Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
    Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
    Voted YES on supporting new position of Director of National Intelligence. (Dec 2004)
    Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
    Rated 0% by the AU, indicating opposition to church-state separation. (Dec 2006)
    Designate first weekend in May as Ten Commandments Weekend. (Apr 2011)
    Voted YES on retroactive immunity for telecoms' warrantless surveillance. (Jun 2008)
    Voted YES on increasing fines for indecent broadcasting. (Feb 2005)
    Voted YES on banning Internet gambling by credit card. (Jun 2003)
    Voted NO on investigating Bush impeachment for lying about Iraq. (Jun 2008)
    Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)
    Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
    Voted YES on approving removal of Saddam & valiant service of US troops. (Mar 2004)
    Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
    No contact & enforce sanctions on Iran until threat is gone. (May 2011)
    Support the completion of the US mission in Iraq. (Feb 2007)
    Authoritarian.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  6. #5
    Don't know anything about the guy but if Trump is picking him there must be something wrong with him...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

    Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

    Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru. (Nov 2007)
    Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to globalization. (Oct 2007)
    Voted YES on implementing CAFTA, Central America Free Trade. (Jul 2005)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Australia Free Trade Agreement. (Jul 2004)
    Voted YES on implementing US-Singapore free trade agreement. (Jul 2003)
    Voted YES on implementing free trade agreement with Chile. (Jul 2003)
    Rated 61% by CATO, indicating a mixed record on trade issues. (Dec 2002)
    Extend trade restrictions on Burma to promote democracy. (Jun 2007)

    Mike Pence's Stance on Free Trade Could Not Be Farther From Donald Trump's

    Mike Pence, Trump’s likely running mate, has backed every free trade deal in the last 15 years

    Globalist - a heartbeat away from the presidency, if elected
    Now, if the Mike Pence is an insurance as the trumpsters like to suggest, imagine what they are trying to insure against if the globalist Pence is the fall back.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

  8. #7
    Trump is on TV right now saying how NAFTA is the worst trade deal ever. But I am watching a cspan clip of Pence speaking on the congress floor in favor of it. I wonder how long before Pence would start to say that he was tricked.

    https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4610712/mike-pence-nafta

    start talking about NAFTA 2 mins into the video. Talking about how NAFTA has helped Indiana farmers which maybe true but this kind of talk cannot jell with Trump campaign rhetoric.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

  9. #8
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    //
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 07-19-2016 at 10:09 AM.

  12. #10
    //
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 07-19-2016 at 10:08 AM.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Authoritarian.
    Yep. It's very clear.

  14. #12
    From Twitter:

    Dan Senor @dansenor
    It's disorienting to have had commiserated w/someone re: Trump - about how he was unacceptable, & then to see that someone become Trump's VP
    9:49 AM - 15 Jul 2016
    Dan Senor is a major next-generation neoconservative operative:
    http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/senor_dan/
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post

    where did you get this image?

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    where did you get this image?
    From OnTheIssues.org, the site I linked in the post you just quoted.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    where did you get this image?
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    From OnTheIssues.org, the site I linked in the post you just quoted.
    It's at the very bottom of the page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post


    i just took this quiz and found I was 100% on economic issues, but if pence is 90%, as suggested above, that's a positive thing. Why aren't people glad to have someone on the ticket like that?



    I also noticed the topic "EPA regulations are too restrictive", is said to have a libertarian answer of "strongly oppose". Really?!? Libertarians think the EPA regulations aren't too restrictive?!?!?!?!? (Sorry OP for the mini hijack, I'm new to this site and baffled by this one)




  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    From OnTheIssues.org, the site I linked in the post you just quoted.
    Thanks!

  21. #18
    Generally a negative indicator to have Bill Kristol as a foreign policy adviser.

    Bill Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard, who has been advising Pence on foreign policy, said Pence’s legislative and executive experience gives him “an unusual niche.”

    “Voters do want that anti-Washington outsider, but they also want someone who knows what he’s doing there,” Kristol said.
    ...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...bdc_story.html
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Generally a negative indicator to have Bill Kristol as a foreign policy adviser.
    trump is the conduit for Kristol and his associates to achieve the power and control they've always craved. Team trump and the RNC are handing us all to them on a silver platter.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018



Select a tag for more discussion on that topic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •