Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul to Skip RNC Convention

Rand Paul to Skip RNC Convention

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/r...nc-convention/

I think Rand is hedging his bets with this move, if Trump loses, he had enough distance, if he wins, he can say he did his duty and supported the nominee of the party, he is smart. Rand can easily switch gears and say democracy has spoken and the will of the people must be supported AFTER the election.
    He will be newly re-elected himself with a fresh mandate as well.

I think it's a good move.
    Et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a surprise
    The Paul family seems to avoid Ohio like the zika
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I predict half of the posts in this thread will be about how he needs to properly kiss the ring of His Orangeness or else he'll be powerless in the glorious alt-right utopia that will begin in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I predict half of the posts in this thread will be about how he needs to properly kiss the ring of His Orangeness or else he'll be powerless in the glorious alt-right utopia that will begin in January.
    Nah, he doesn't have to yet, BUT if Trump annihilates Hillary in the general Reagan style, everybody is going to have to kiss the ring or be sidelined.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post

I think it's a good move.
    Rand continues to marginalize himself. I'm not sure his heart is really in to politics anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to ophthalmology in the next year or so and that is probably for the best. Time for a new generation of Liberty Politicians to take the reigns. Trump's victory is going to smash the existing political paradigm and open up huge opportunities for us to make electoral gains.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Rand continues to marginalize himself. I'm not sure his heart is really in to politics anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to ophthalmology in the next year or so and that is probably for the best. Time for a new generation of Liberty Politicians to take the reigns. Trump's victory is going to smash the existing political paradigm and open up huge opportunities for us to make electoral gains.
    I agree, since it is not like Rand could damage his Senate re-election by endorsing Trump or attending the convention. Trump is popular in KY and leads Hillary by 6+.

If anything Rand's stance on Trump may damage his re-election bid if it ends up being a close race.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Didn't Rand also skip the last convention?

I'm confused. Why is skipping the convention marginalizing himself? If he attended, he'd be tying himself to an anti-liberty loser.

Donald Trump isn't going to win, and the last thing him winning would do is lead the way for liberty candidates.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I agree, since it is not like Rand could damage his Senate re-election by endorsing Trump or attending the convention. Trump is popular in KY and leads Hillary by 6+.

If anything Rand's stance on Trump may damage his re-election bid if it ends up being a close race.
    I don't think it will effect his re-election one way or the other. Kentucky isn't going to elect a Democrat to Federal Office ever again. That ship has sailed.

But why not go to the convention and give a speech on foreign policy? Trump has basically provided Rand with the cover necessary to give a scathing denunciation of the neocons and everything they stand for and instead Rand sulks off to his corner to mope.

I don't think it will effect his re-election one way or the other. Kentucky isn't going to elect a Democrat to Federal Office ever again. That ship has sailed.

But why not go to the convention and give a speech on foreign policy? Trump has basically provided Rand with the cover necessary to give a scathing denunciation of the neocons and everything they stand for and instead Rand sulks off to his corner to mope.
    How do you go from running an educational campaign last year and when presented with the exposure of something like RNC convention, avoid it. If the Paul's are really about educating the masses the RNC convention would have been a place to do it.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Who is this "us" you speak of? A trump victory advances populism and authoritarianism, not liberty.

How do you go from running an educational campaign last year and when presented with the exposure of something like RNC convention, avoid it. If the Paul's are really about educating the masses the RNC convention would have been a place to do it.

Political activist and party insiders don't care to be educated. They already have a hard shell ideology. The mushy middle, the average Joe, is the person you reach with education.

And people who think Trump is pro-liberty are pro-stupid. The list of people who are reliable activist for liberty in this state has been reduced greatly. There are a number of people who will no longer be invited or counted on for future liberty projects. The can go worship the great Orangeness.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

I see, so that what you thought his campaign was about? He did not running an education campaign and if that was what he was doing, he would have run a more purist campaign. He has officially placed his support for Trump and he has nothing to teach to the kind of people who did not listen to him during the debates by going to the convention. Those people will need to hit a low before anything can enter their heads and that low will come after the election is over.

Good strategy by endorsing Trump and also skipping the campaign. This way, if he wins, he can dis-invite Trump to his convention. Man can I dream

Smart move. Same with the endorsement of "I've always said I'll support the nominee" instead of using the name, Trump.

When this whole Trump thing comes crashing down (either before the election or after), you don't want to be tied to it. There are going to be lots of politicians sinking with that stone (Christie, Palin, etc.), Rand is smart to not be one of them.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Sulks off to his corner.......... that's BS.

Rand is a smart cookie who is keeping his word while keeping his integrity.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Sulks off to his corner.......... that's BS.

Rand is a smart cookie who is keeping his word while keeping his integrity.
    What's he going to do? Give a "scathing denunciation" of the neo cons and then say Trump is the man to change all that? More hope and change, just a different color.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump is popular in KY and leads Hillary by 6+
    No, Trump is not popular here. The only reason that he won the Kentucky Caucus is because anti-Trump voters were split between three candidates. I remember people that some people were voting Cruz because they thought he had the best chance against Trump, and some thought Rubio did as well. Others thought that Kasich had the best chance of beating Trump due to the state's proximity to Ohio. Over 64% cast their ballot for someone else.

Trump leading Hillary by 6% is not something for his supporters to celebrate. Romney won the state by a similar margin as Obama won California (a lot more than 6%).
    Stop believing stupid things

Delusional nonsense. Anyone who has been watching down ballot races knows the year of Trump has been the worst cycle for true liberty/anti-establishment candidates in recent memory. Trump's job is to destroy the liberty movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Is it some kind of requirement for every GOP member of Congress to attend the GOP convention? It's highly unlikely Rand has been offered a speaking spot, so if you aren't speaking, why go? There are other reasons to go, but Rand seems like he is happily married, so he wouldn't be interested in booze, coke and whores with lobbyists.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Political activist and party insiders don't care to be educated. They already have a hard shell ideology. The mushy middle, the average Joe, is the person you reach with education.
    This is going to be the most watched political convention in the history of America. Rand dropped the ball, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    And people who think Trump is pro-liberty are pro-stupid. The list of people who are reliable activist for liberty in this state has been reduced greatly. There are a number of people who will no longer be invited or counted on for future liberty projects. The can go worship the great Orangeness.
    Nobody thinks Trump himself is pro-liberty. He is however, very good for the liberty movement. Globalist are on the run. You can either take advantage of the environment Trump has helped create like Kelli Ward did last week when she directly accused John McCain of causing the rise of ISIS or you can go off to your corner and sulk. Taking advantage is better. My guess is Rand has checked out politically and this upcoming term will be his last.

Bwaaaaahaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! That made me spit my coffee out..... LMMFAO!!!! Trump a "Liberty Politician"... Rand should "step aside" LMAO!!!!!!!!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Nobody thinks Trump himself is pro-liberty. He is however, very good for the liberty movement.
    Trump supporters regularly mock libertarians as "losertarians." And, as William Tell pointed out, they vote downballot for establishment candidates. He calls for more taxes, more torture, and more government.
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Didn't Rand also skip the last convention?
    Last edited by Jordan Liberty; 07-13-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Total bull$#@! to think Rand is giving up by not going to the convention. What is he going to even do at the convention, if he isn't given a speaking slot (which he wont be, because Trump hates Rand and Rand hates Trump)...? What purpose?

To be asked awkward questions by the media about why Trump is awful? How is he going to answer those, having endorsed the nominee"..?Rand needs to control the message he sends right now, and the only way he can do that is by being pretty silent on Trump. Its a little like A Man For All Seasons, where Thomas More was trying to squeak by by not saying anything about Henry VIII and letting people just assume that he actually opposed him. In that case, opposing the king gets you executed, in this one, politically marginalized until November. But if, as a matter of principle, you cannot really assent to the king, then you do as Rand has done. Its a good job by him in bad circumstances.

PS, Trump is going to get killed in the electoral college. Rand only has to wait it out a few more months. All you Trump people can then f off, cause you sure arent libertarians.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nobody thinks Trump himself is pro-liberty. He is however, very good for the liberty movement.

You would think that the more words these people type, the less they'd be able to convince themselves of the con they're buying. But no. That does not appear to be the case. They will do anything they can in their minds to convince themselves that Trump benefits liberty somehow. Amazing.

Trump is a really a master at playing to the fantasies of some people. Even if they catch on that it's a con, they STILL think he'll benefit them in some way.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    Trump supporters regularly mock libertarians as "losertarians." And, as William Tell pointed out, they vote downballot for establishment candidates. He calls for more taxes, more torture, and more government.
    Many Trump supporters voted for Ron Paul. Some of Trump's best districts in the primary race were in areas Ron Paul did the best in 2012. And with the "Libertarian" Party being represented by Gary Johnson and Bill Weld, it is pretty easy (and accurate!) to label them "Losertarians".

Quote Originally Posted by WTLaw View Post
    Total bull$#@! to think Rand is giving up by not going to the convention. What is he going to even do at the convention, if he isn't given a speaking slot (which he wont be, because Trump hates Rand and Rand hates Trump)...? What purpose?

To be asked awkward questions by the media about why Trump is awful? How is he going to answer those, having endorsed the nominee"..?Rand needs to control the message he sends right now, and the only way he can do that is by being pretty silent on Trump. Its a little like A Man For All Seasons, where Thomas More was trying to squeak by by not saying anything about Henry VIII and letting people just assume that he actually opposed him. In that case, opposing the king gets you executed, in this one, politically marginalized until November. But if, as a matter of principle, you cannot really assent to the king, then you do as Rand has done. Its a good job by him in bad circumstances.

PS, Trump is going to get killed in the electoral college. Rand only has to wait it out a few more months. All you Trump people can then f off, cause you sure arent libertarians.
    /thread
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Yup, just like in the GOP Primary when Trump was going to collapse by Christmas. You guys have a brilliant track record of success when it comes to predicting election results. And btw- latest poll (and this is Quinnipiac which has been generally favorable to Clinton in the past) has Trump up in Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    There are other reasons to go, but Rand seems like he is happily married, so he wouldn't be interested in booze, coke and whores with lobbyists.
    LOL, so that's what happens at the RNC

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    LOL, so that's what happens at the RNC

only in the box seats.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast