Thread: Ibuprofen..

Ibuprofen..

For a couple years, I have been curious about the studies demonizing motrin (ibuprofen) - mostly about who paid for the studies that grouped it with the rest of the NSAIDS and put it on the $#@! list.

so.. this page has one study with who paid for it near the bottom
    http://www.buckinstitute.org/buck-news/could-ibuprofen-be-an-anti-aging-medicine

and here's an abstract with a different take
    http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetic...4860#abstract0

so.. with my tin foil hat in place - AH HA! they want us off motrin because it could lengthen life and keep Alzheimers at bay..

yeah.. yeah.. tumeric, ginger... white willow bark.. but motrin works
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My sister wound up with a perforated stomach because she took Mortrin PM on and off for a year.

St. John's wort is twice as effective ibuprofen as a pain-killer.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

No idea. I call Ibuprofen vitamin "I" these days. Take way too much. But the hurts hurt, I still do physical labor and I like to at least get a few hours sleep when not working.

I use it about once a week but I take on a full stomach with a milk thistle chaser.

I was hospitalized last summer because I used ibuprofen every day to manage advanced arthritis pain. It led to intestinal bleeding.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Some of my favorite pain relieving herbal remedies include skullcap, cannabis, valerian, turmeric, willow bark, St. John's wort, plantain, angelica, motherwort, and arnica.
    Last edited by donnay; 07-11-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I was hospitalized last summer because I used ibuprofen every day to manage advanced arthritis pain. It led to intestinal bleeding.
    I do 600 mgs. in the morning and another 600 mgs. in the evening when I get home. I dunno. I'm the worst when it comes to this $#@!. Sometimes I smoke it if I have it and forego "vitamin I." I've got a bad back and rotator cuffs which I use every day. I dunno. I know message on the back works for awhile. Usually 3-4 days. Nothing works on the rotator cuffs. Suggestions are welcome. I do drink quite a bit, more than most and mostly piss water beer, and I have heard that vitamin I and alcohol don't do a liver any good. But, at 51 I have some constant pain.

Also taking too much will mess up your kidneys. But hey, it could be a big conspiracy by the dialysis clinic to reduce the amount of patient coming in and begging for treatment

Just kidding. I won't touch any pain meds for pains less than 5

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I do 600 mgs. in the morning and another 600 mgs. in the evening when I get home. I dunno. I'm the worst when it comes to this $#@!. Sometimes I smoke it if I have it and forego "vitamin I." I've got a bad back and rotator cuffs which I use every day. I dunno. I know message on the back works for awhile. Usually 3-4 days. Nothing works on the rotator cuffs. Suggestions are welcome. I do drink quite a bit, more than most and mostly piss water beer, and I have heard that vitamin I and alcohol don't do a liver any good. But, at 51 I have some constant pain.
    You should check out a Homeopathic treatment called Traumeel.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Also taking too much will mess up your kidneys. But hey, it could be a big conspiracy by the dialysis clinic to reduce the amount of patient coming in and begging for treatment

Just kidding. I won't touch any pain meds for pains less than 5
    5 is fine. I can take 10. For a few. Constant 5-6 just doesn't work. I can't sleep. Which means it keeps me from concentrating during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You should check out a Homeopathic treatment called Traumeel.
    I'll check it out. Usually Homeopathic imples to me that it has to work over time. How long would this stuff take to start working. I just looked at it briefly and it comes on an intravenous injection. Don't really like needles but might try it if it would work quicker.

I'll check it out. Usually Homeopathic imples to me that it has to work over time. How long would this stuff take to start working. I just looked at it briefly and it comes on an intravenous injection. Don't really like needles but might try it if it would work quicker.
    It worked pretty quickly for me. I used the ointment. Arnica Montana is another good one too, or can be used together.

https://www.amazon.com/Traumeel-Home...words=traumeel

https://www.amazon.com/Traumeel-Gel-...D2G988T7DZTSFP

It worked pretty quickly for me. I used the ointment. Arnica Montana is another good one too, or can be used together.

https://www.amazon.com/Traumeel-Home...words=traumeel

https://www.amazon.com/Traumeel-Gel-...D2G988T7DZTSFP
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. That is the part that I think is missing in my equation (like I have one, lol) is an Anti-inflammatory aspect. I think an ingestible might do better but might try both.

Turmeric is incredible for pain, as well as stress. Tea Tree can wipe out pain almost immediately if it is joint or muscle pain, by rubbing it into the sore area. Cayenne is also a wonder herb for soreness, as well as heart issues. And Caffeine is a fantastic remedy for migraines.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Turmeric is incredible for pain, as well as stress. Tea Tree can wipe out pain almost immediately if it is joint or muscle pain, by rubbing it into the sore area. Cayenne is also a wonder herb for soreness, as well as heart issues. And Caffeine is a fantastic remedy for migraines.
    There was a thread on Tumeric, I'll have to google. Externals don't work. It's not muscle, though muscle pain is a symptom. It comes from the core. Cartilage worn down, something. Rotator cuffs are blown as is the back. I feel like if I were the tin man and could inject some lube things would be alright.

My sister wound up with a perforated stomach because she took Mortrin PM on and off for a year.

St. John's wort is twice as effective ibuprofen as a pain-killer.
    I thought St John's wort was for memory.. I took it a LONG time ago,, and forgot why so I stopped.

Somewhere along the line, after the patent expired, I think the fillers/formula must have changed - and they started adding extra stuff (the PM part) The over the counter dosages bother my stomach - a lot.

My mom started taking motrin around the time it came out in the 70s - for pain, I guess, after gall bladder surgery.
    Most of our family has an opiate allergy. The throat/airways closing kind of allergy. (so much fun while vomiting since our bodies try to get rid of anything that started at the poppy)
    I and my siblings have taken it for decades for a multitude of "whatever hurts" .. dad has been on it forever too (polyneuropathy) - and usually the 800 mg RX. We've always taken it with food - that was always the rule.

I've tried replacing it with turmeric, ginger and the host of other anti-inflammatory herbs in teas.. tinctures .. capsules and nothing does the job like the motrin. I've had several bad knee injuries and a broken wrist.. without motrin.. walking is almost out of the question.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some of my favorite pain relieving herbal remedies include skullcap, cannabis, valerian, turmeric, willow bark, St. John's wort, plantain, angelica, motherwort, and arnica.
    Opium....................Mother natures pain reliever.

There was a thread on Tumeric, I'll have to google. Externals don't work. It's not muscle, though muscle pain is a symptom. It comes from the core. Cartilage worn down, something. Rotator cuffs are blown as is the back. I feel like if I were the tin man and could inject some lube things would be alright.
    For your back, have you tried one of those Teeter Hang Ups? It helps my back.

I've used Traumeel. It helps, but not if the pain is pretty bad.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

There's a thread kicking around here about taking chicken cartilage to help rebuild aging joints.

I found it! http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...cken+cartilage

UCII.

Ref: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazin...joints/page-01

Iburprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication. It's in my medicine cabinet, I'll take it once in a while if I have a bad headache or something, but I won't take it on a regular basis.

One good way to reduce inflammation is diet. Avoid grains, sugars and a lot of starchy foods. Take a fish oil supplement and try to eat wild, grass fed or pastured meats when possible.

Cannabis is a good anti-inflammatory, especially the CBDs. If you can get CBD oil or high CBD strains of cannabis then you won't have to ingest as much THC - I like some THC though, and it can help with pain relief, but CBDs really help with inflammation.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-12-2016 at 04:54 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I thought St John's wort was for memory.. I took it a LONG time ago,, and forgot why so I stopped.

Somewhere along the line, after the patent expired, I think the fillers/formula must have changed - and they started adding extra stuff (the PM part) The over the counter dosages bother my stomach - a lot.

My mom started taking motrin around the time it came out in the 70s - for pain, I guess, after gall bladder surgery.
    Most of our family has an opiate allergy. The throat/airways closing kind of allergy. (so much fun while vomiting since our bodies try to get rid of anything that started at the poppy)
    I and my siblings have taken it for decades for a multitude of "whatever hurts" .. dad has been on it forever too (polyneuropathy) - and usually the 800 mg RX. We've always taken it with food - that was always the rule.

I've tried replacing it with turmeric, ginger and the host of other anti-inflammatory herbs in teas.. tinctures .. capsules and nothing does the job like the motrin. I've had several bad knee injuries and a broken wrist.. without motrin.. walking is almost out of the question.
    Yes, my sister was allergic to morphine and any opiates too. St. John's wort is great for pain.

Indications: Taken internally, St. John's Wort has a sedative and pain reducing effect, which gives it a place in the treatment of neuralgia, anxiety, tension and similar problems. It is especially regarded as an herb to use where there are menopausal changes triggering irritability and anxiety. It is increasingly recommended the treatment of depression. In addition to neuralgic pain, it will ease fibrositis, sciatica and rheumatic pain. Externally it is a valuable healing and anti-inflammatory remedy. As a lotion it will speed the healing of wounds and bruises, varicose veins and mild burns. The oil is especially useful for the healing of sunburn.
    http://www.healthy.net/Materia_Medic...ria_Medica/283

I just made an infused oil from the flowers of SJW and it is amazing it turns blood red.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post

Yes, Inversion Tables are great!

I have been vaping CBD I also take aspirin and turmeric. I have had several accidents this year I broke my foot, my ribs, and my tail bone plus an old injury to my mid back has been flaring up to the point that I have difficulty standing. With the help of CBD I am finally getting better. I have had a very hard time this year. I haven't been able to pump iron or work in my garden because of my ribs. I keep forgetting that they are still broken because the pain is so much less so I have to be careful about picking anything up or using my arms for anything more than wiping my butt.

I can't take ibuprofen or Tylenol or any of the prescription pain relievers that have it in it. I hope when my ribs heal that I can get back into shape soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post

My mom's doc wants her to get one but she's been resisting. Right now, she takes Tramadol (not sure if I spelled that right) and a muscle relaxer if it gets bad but exercise (especially stretching) helps her the most. She was in a lot of pain until she started going to senior workout 2x's a week and doing stretches the doctor recommended at home everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    5 is fine. I can take 10. For a few. Constant 5-6 just doesn't work. I can't sleep. Which means it keeps me from concentrating during the day.
    5-6 800mg tabs? if it helps you sleep and doesn't go over the max daily dose then you should be OK. I have a coworker whose brother blew his kidney taking too much Ibuprofen. But he also had really high blood pressure. Luckily for me, I can fall asleep very easily even with moderate pain and usually sleeping alleviates my pain. So half of the time, I use sleep as my pain med

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    5-6 800mg tabs? if it helps you sleep and doesn't go over the max daily dose then you should be OK. I have a coworker whose brother blew his kidney taking too much Ibuprofen. But he also had really high blood pressure. Luckily for me, I can fall asleep very easily even with moderate pain and usually sleeping alleviates my pain. So half of the time, I use sleep as my pain med
    No, no. Lol. Those were pain level specifics. I take 3-200mg. (600 mg. total) Ibuprofen in the morning, another 600mg. in the evening. 1200mgs. per day total. Though not all the time. Just depends.

And thanks LE. I have been looking for an inversion table for a while now. Just haven't found one on Caigslist or at a yard sale yet. I have used one before and they are great but I need one so I can use it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My mom's doc wants her to get one but she's been resisting. Right now, she takes Tramadol (not sure if I spelled that right) and a muscle relaxer if it gets bad but exercise (especially stretching) helps her the most. She was in a lot of pain until she started going to senior workout 2x's a week and doing stretches the doctor recommended at home everyday.
    If she tried one, I think she'd love it. They'll let her try one at a Relax the Back store, if there is one near you.

If she buys one somewhere, only buy a Teeter brand. They are built well.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights