Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Stefan Molyneux?

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    security still is provided by police. Otherwise how do you explain the Ferguson effect? Cops are more afraid to go into troubled neighborhoods and now crime is going up.
    It has more, nay all, to do with the temperament and culture of the people. The world really contains virtually no security nor safeguards against crime. Civilization is a wide-open candy store. Oh yes, we make token shows of defense against certain crimes, mostly against theft by putting locks on things. But how defended are any of us against murder? Murder is a much more serious crime. Your car may have a security system protecting it somewhat from theft. But what devices do you have on you as a murder-prevention? If someone were to come up behind your back and shoot you, what would happen? I'll tell you: you will die*. That's it! You had implemented no security measures against that possibility whatsoever.

So how come there's more theft than murder? Ponder that.

If even 5% of the population decided "forget the rules, all rules, I'm a gangsta and gangstas gonna spree" that would be the end of civilization. Nothing would be able to operate as it does today any longer.

So crime-ridden places, like Ferguson, it's a result of the temperament, upraising (lack thereof), genetics, and intelligence (lack thereof) of the people, and then temperamental network effects.

Events, such as a withdrawal of police, can activate a network effect and exacerbate the problem. If consequences for armed robbery suddenly plummet to negligible levels due to a decision to withdraw from the area and stop enforcing laws against armed robbery, then that behavior will increase in short order, due to the bad character of the people. In another location, however, the withdrawal of the police might actually have a salutary effect, due to the good character of the people. For in addition to increasing consequences for real crime -- that is, for enforcing real laws, which, we will all admit, police do do -- police also often have a symbiotic relationship with the criminal element, most especially due to the drug war. In this, their ubiquitous presence and enforcement actions actually perversely increase the dangerousness and criminality of a neighborhood.

Anyway, it's a complicated situation. There are instances where police departments have been on strike or otherwise indisposed, and when it's happened in places with somewhat better quality people the crime rate has not always gone up. Civilization's lack of crime is not, in the end, dependent upon enforcement of laws, whether by monopolists or market participants. It is a fragile thing entirely dependent upon the temperament of the people. The quality of the people. Which, allow me to ominously note: is plummeting.

* Assuming adequate caliber and organ-targeting.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You should have stopped at the first sentence. By the way, wtf happened to you? Did you get a head injury or something? I don't remember you being this ...er...obtuse.
    I got smarter that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    I got smarter that's what happened.
    Is that what the kids call that nowadays? LMFAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Civilization's lack of crime is not, in the end, dependent upon enforcement of laws, whether by monopolists or market participants. It is a fragile thing entirely dependent upon the temperament of the people. The quality of the people. Which, allow me to ominously note: is plummeting.
    1. Crime rates are falling, which implies that either (a) the quality of the people hasn't been dropping, or (b) it doesn't matter.

2. Historically, crime rates have dropped as the state has become stronger, implying that state law enforcement significantly prevents crime.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    1. Crime rates are falling, which implies that either (a) the quality of the people hasn't been dropping, or (b) it doesn't matter.

2. Historically, crime rates have dropped as the state has become stronger, implying that state law enforcement significantly prevents crime.
    Really???? Are you actually trying to make those arguments or what is going on here? I hope not..

Instead of state power reducing crime, which is retarded (look at HH's last post), how about technology has created an environment where we have virtually unlimited resources (or, at least enough to feed and clothe and house 99.9% of the population).

So there is less need to commit crime - however - people have gotten "worse" in the sense that families are less stable, people are on all kinds of prescription meds and there is a lot of disfunction.

A major reason this has happened is because of the welfare state, if you actually listened to Stef you would understand better how the r vs. K mating strategy works and why welfare has caused so many problems.

One COULD argue that crime has gone down because of welfare, but if you look at places where people are predominantly on welfare and tried to make that argument you would look like a retard. So once again, you have to consider how much technology has increased our standard of living in the last 50-100 years and what if I told you that crime would have gone down even more and we would have a much more orderly, functional society if we were free and didn't have a welfare state because the standard of living would have increased even more, and you wouldn't have large swaths of the population stuck in a disfunctional environment?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Really???? Are you actually trying to make those arguments or what is going on here? I hope not..
    Yes, I am in fact making the arguments I'm making...

Instead of state power reducing crime, which is retarded (look at HH's last post), how about technology has created an environment where we have virtually unlimited resources (or, at least enough to feed and clothe and house 99.9% of the population).
    Wealth is also a major factor, I agree.

It is, however, retarded to suggest that state power does not reduce crime.

Continual, pretty warfare is endemic in stateless or weak-state societies.

This ends only when the state becomes strong enough to suppress it.

...which is another way of saying that the war ends only when someone finally, definitively wins.

what if I told you that crime would have gone down even more and we would have a much more orderly, functional society if we were free and didn't have a welfare state because the standard of living would have increased even more, and you wouldn't have large swaths of the population stuck in a disfunctional environment?
    I would agree.

Thank you for challenging me! Actually, just means that it's more complicated. The vigor, martiality, and aggressiveness of Western society has been falling for (a few) centuries. Its peak, at least in England, was probably around the 16th century, as evidenced by the extremely harsh punishments, extreme patriarchy, and all other factors going along with high-V (for Vigor). Murder and other violent crime is likely correlated with V, I would hypothesize. Testing would prove out whether I am right or not. If we're going to talk short-term, as in decades rather than millenia, which is likely all you're concerned about (few people are weird like me), then lemming cycles probably play a bigger role. This is the natural cycle between high V -- aggressiveness, expansionism, fighting spirit -- and high C -- diligence, non-confrontationality, innovation, economic success. Short-term murder rate variation fits the lemming cycle pretty nicely, take a look:

Anyway, all this is violent crime. Non-violent crime is another story. Non-violent crime has been rising for the past century. Dishonesty has become epidemic. The multi-century trough of property crime (the peak of honesty) was likely around 1880 in America. Perhaps a little earlier in the North, a little later in the South. Look, everyone knows this. We used to be able to leave our doors unlocked. There used to be far less theft, vandalism, and other property crime. Statistics are spotty, but the trend has been so pronounced we don't even need them. It's been obvious to everyone who has lived long enough.

Crime is kind of a side-annoyance, anyway. Not really a huge deal. Other than the people who are slaughtered or robbed by it. The huge deal is if civilization collapses. That kind of... can be bad. When that happens. Don't want that happening.

You really should look into this Biohistory stuff, 3.0. You'd love it. Get the book. Plus study up on r vs. K strategies. Actually, first read Hoppe's Short History of Man. Totally pro-monarchy, and I know you're all about that. It'll prime your intellectual gears up for Biohistory.

Point A to keep in mind when deftly but flippantly drawing these sweeping conclusions of yours: our "historically" is extremely limited and spotty. What was the crime rate in Rome 120 BC vs. 320 BC? Point B is new information you were not aware of: Willingness to accept large, powerful polities seems to increase as C increases. Naturally there would be a correlation, then, between large states and virtually everything good in civilization. But the civilization is caused by the high-C temperament. It is not somehow decreed into being by the state.

Thank you for challenging me! Actually, just means that it's more complicated. The vigor, martiality, and aggressiveness of Western society has been falling for (a few) centuries. Its peak, at least in England, was probably around the 16th century, as evidenced by the extremely harsh punishments, extreme patriarchy, and all other factors going along with high-V (for Vigor). Murder and other violent crime is likely correlated with V, I would hypothesize. Testing would prove out whether I am right or not. If we're going to talk short-term, as in decades rather than millenia, which is likely all you're concerned about (few people are weird like me), then lemming cycles probably play a bigger role. This is the natural cycle between high V -- aggressiveness, expansionism, fighting spirit -- and high C -- diligence, non-confrontationality, innovation, economic success. Short-term murder rate variation fits the lemming cycle pretty nicely, take a look:

Anyway, all this is violent crime. Non-violent crime is another story. Non-violent crime has been rising for the past century. Dishonesty has become epidemic. The multi-century trough of property crime (the peak of honesty) was likely around 1880 in America. Perhaps a little earlier in the North, a little later in the South. Look, everyone knows this. We used to be able to leave our doors unlocked. There used to be far less theft, vandalism, and other property crime. Statistics are spotty, but the trend has been so pronounced we don't even need them. It's been obvious to everyone who has lived long enough.

Crime is kind of a side-annoyance, anyway. Not really a huge deal. Other than the people who are slaughtered or robbed by it. The huge deal is if civilization collapses. That kind of... can be bad. When that happens. Don't want that happening.

You really should look into this Biohistory stuff, 3.0. You'd love it. Get the book. Plus study up on r vs. K strategies. Actually, first read Hoppe's Short History of Man. Totally pro-monarchy, and I know you're all about that. It'll prime your intellectual gears up for Biohistory.

Point A to keep in mind when deftly but flippantly drawing these sweeping conclusions of yours: our "historically" is extremely limited and spotty. What was the crime rate in Rome 120 BC vs. 320 BC? Point B is new information you were not aware of: Willingness to accept large, powerful polities seems to increase as C increases. Naturally there would be a correlation, then, between large states and virtually everything good in civilization. But the civilization is caused by the high-C temperament. It is not somehow decreed into being by the state.
    What did he just say? HB, dannno? Anyone?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What are the operational definitions of V and C?

What data, if any, do you have to support your claim that property crime rates have been rising?

Crime is kind of a side-annoyance, anyway. Not really a huge deal.
    I agree.

The huge deal is if civilization collapses. That kind of... can be bad. When that happens. Don't want that happening.
    And it certainly won't be happening as a result of rising crime rates, especially as crime rates (violent, at least) are near historical lows.

But the civilization is caused by the high-C temperament. It is not somehow decreed into being by the state.
    I suspect you're defining both C and civilization as "diligence, non-confrontationality, innovation, economic success."

In other words, you're making a stipulative definition, not explaining a causal relationship.

....but I'll await your operational definition of C and V (throw in r and k and other other like variable while you're at it).

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    people have gotten "worse" in the sense that families are less stable, people are on all kinds of prescription meds and there is a lot of disfunction.
    People and society are just adapting to change. As individuals become more productive and self reliant the need for large extended families gets much smaller. Why build an inter-generational homestead when its more productive to move state every 3 months and rent?

The older conceptions work for farmers and serfs, but one must compete and be efficient now.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I'll make a reader's digest for ya if I have time. ~hugs~
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Yes, yes, right-o. Well-expressed. You have explained your line of thinking on this before, though, repeatedly. You and I, we've been around here a long time, idiom! So I already understand all that. I understand your criticisms of other people's ideas of liberty. But what I am interested in is what your conception of liberty is.
    Still working on that. I am still getting done being dissatisfied with various An-Cap thinkers. I am very much not satisfied with the NAP concepts as they tend towards protecting only specific classes of liberty, while not actually doing anything to restrict the growth of state-like entities.

I am currently revisiting Rand and various British thinkers before trying to work something up.

I do know that lightweight governments are historically plausible. I also know that most of the tangible infringements on my liberty currently come not from my government but from that of the United States.

I do think a theory of liberty probably needs to be a lot more relativist and generous than the axioms of Rothbard and needs to be a bit more fluid than Rand allows for. It needs to start from a nihilist conception of the world instead of assuming a hodgepodge of western values as the word of God.

It should acknowledge economic realities like the existence of natural monopolies, and aggression outside of direct hard property damage. It probably also needs to be able to incorporate implicit trust and assumptions instead of presupposing contracts 20,000 pages long every time you want to go to the bathroom.

As a social theory it needs to figure out that Robinson Crusoe doesn't generate his own air supply (depending on how big his island is I guess).

I do know that anything starts with "OMG I don't want to pay taxes! Its not fair! its a gun to my head" probably ends up replacing it with taxation that is just as unavoidable. Where you live is voluntary and paying taxation is voluntary. Denying those is denying reality. Philosophies founded in that won't get anywhere.

I also assume that freehold land ownership just means an indefinite lease. Even if your lease payments are zero unless you are running your own social system then it works out the same way.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    People and society are just adapting to change. As individuals become more productive and self reliant the need for large extended families gets much smaller. Why build an inter-generational homestead when its more productive to move state every 3 months and rent?

The older conceptions work for farmers and serfs, but one must compete and be efficient now.
    Because it's some folks' subjective preference to have real property for any of a number of reasons-captial to borrow against, for example. You won't get that renting. Value is subjective and often not measured in dollar/currency prices or determined by market forces.

He just called you a bunch of cucks. Basically.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Because it's some folks' subjective preference to have real property for any of a number of reasons-captial to borrow against, for example. You won't get that renting. Value is subjective and often not measured in dollar/currency prices or determined by market forces.
    Market forces are determined by subjective valuations.

Home ownership has a lot of perks, but pretty much none of them are economic.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Market forces are determined by subjective valuations.
    Yup. Didn't say otherwise.

Home ownership has a lot of perks, but pretty much none of them are economic.
    You don't think borrowing against the home is an economic perk? Or potentially gaining money (that is, increased borrowing power) during boom cycles? I guess we think of "economic benefits" differently. ~shrugs~

I do think a theory of liberty probably needs to be a lot more relativist and generous than the axioms of Rothbard and needs to be a bit more fluid than Rand allows for. It needs to start from a nihilist conception of the world instead of assuming a hodgepodge of western values as the word of God.
    All ethical systems necessarily begin with unproved assumptions: is-ought problem, you know.

So it can't be that you object to ethical assumptions as such, unless you're a nihilist.

It must be that you object to the specific assumptions underlying libertarianism.

Which assumptions, and why?

It should acknowledge economic realities like the existence of natural monopolies
    No libertarian AFAIK (including Rothbard) has ever actually denied the existence of natural monopolies.

Our position is that they're very rare, and in any event governmental interference to prevent them is not an improvement.

and aggression outside of direct hard property damage
    Such as?

It probably also needs to be able to incorporate implicit trust and assumptions instead of presupposing contracts 20,000 pages long every time you want to go to the bathroom.
    Not sure what you mean...

As a social theory it needs to figure out that Robinson Crusoe doesn't generate his own air supply (depending on how big his island is I guess).
    Again, not sure what you mean...

What did he just say?
    We're all doomed.

What are the operational definitions of V and C?
    You didn't look them up? Where's your intellectual curiosity? Jim Penman, Biohistory.

Both C and V are sets of physiological attributes in humans (and other mammals) expressing and detectable in blood tests and hormone levels.

That's the "bio" part of "Biohistory".

What data, if any, do you have to support your claim that property crime rates have been rising?
    As I mentioned, and as you also doubtless know if you are over the age of ten, adults universally express this observation that things used to be safer, that they used to have more trust, less crime, etc., that no one locked their front doors. It is a fact that cars did not generally used to be locked, and in fact going back one generation further could not be w/o customization because there were no locks installed by the manufacturers. In the absence of statistics, people's cumulative memory, observations, and life experiences are what we have to go by. I do not think these near-universal observations can be dismissed.

I suspect you're defining both C and civilization as "diligence, non-confrontationality, innovation, economic success."

In other words, you're making a stipulative definition, not explaining a causal relationship.
    Do you really think so lowly of me? Come on.

What is the point you're trying to make here, anyway? You seem as though you're grasping for something to pounce on to contradict, but, like Danke, haven't been able to quite figure out what I'm on about. You just sense you want to disagree with it. Right?

Do you have any sincere interest in understanding my ideas on these matters?

In that case, your project is doomed before it even begins. Nihilism rejects all values as useless and/or meaningless (not just "hodgepodge" ones, or "western" ones, or "word of God" ones, or etc.). If you really intend to start from the position that there cannot be any useful and/or meaningful values (which would, of course, include any theory of liberty), then what's the point?

Or perhaps you simply don't understand the meaning of the words you are using, and you actually intended to convey that you aim to start from a "blank page" without any preconceptions or apriorisms. If so, then this is also doomed to fail. Any entries you might write upon your (supposed) tabula rasa are going to have been filtered through your conscious and unconscious judgements about what is and isn't relevant to your purpose. (You have already explicitly announced your disdain for "hodgepodge" westernisms, for example - and your characterizations of Randian and Rothbardian precepts as being insufficiently "fluid" or "generous" are gravid with implied presuppositions.)

Theory always precedes analysis - and in the limit, axiomatic assumptions are as inescapable as they are unprovable.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Still working on that. I am still getting done being dissatisfied with various An-Cap thinkers. I am very much not satisfied with the NAP concepts as they tend towards protecting only specific classes of liberty, while not actually doing anything to restrict the growth of state-like entities.

I am currently revisiting Rand and various British thinkers before trying to work something up.

I do know that lightweight governments are historically plausible. I also know that most of the tangible infringements on my liberty currently come not from my government but from that of the United States.

It should acknowledge economic realities like the existence of natural monopolies, and aggression outside of direct hard property damage. It probably also needs to be able to incorporate implicit trust and assumptions instead of presupposing contracts 20,000 pages long every time you want to go to the bathroom.

I do know that anything starts with "OMG I don't want to pay taxes! Its not fair! its a gun to my head" probably ends up replacing it with taxation that is just as unavoidable. Where you live is voluntary and paying taxation is voluntary. Denying those is denying reality. Philosophies founded in that won't get anywhere.

I also assume that freehold land ownership just means an indefinite lease. Even if your lease payments are zero unless you are running your own social system then it works out the same way.
    Awesome post, idiom! That is exactly what I was interested in. I can see where you're coming from. I'll have to think about what you've said. I don't have all the answers, that's for sure!

Is it Rand's non-fiction you're reviewing? If so, is that any good? I've read all her fiction books, I think, and very much liked them (except for the first depressing one set in Russia).

Awesome, awesome post.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    In that case, your project is doomed before it even begins. Nihilism rejects all values as useless and/or meaningless (not just "hodgepodge" ones, or "western" ones, or "word of God" ones, or etc.). If you really intend to start from the position that there cannot be any useful and/or meaningful values (which would, of course, include any theory of liberty), then what's the point?

Or perhaps you simply don't understand the meaning of the words you are using, and you actually intended to convey that you aim to start from a "blank page" without any preconceptions or apriorisms. If so, then this is also doomed to fail. Any entries you might write upon your (supposed) tabula rasa are going to have been filtered through your conscious and unconscious judgements about what is and isn't relevant to your purpose. (You have already explicitly announced your disdain for "hodgepodge" westernisms, for example - and your characterizations of Randian and Rothbardian precepts as being insufficiently "fluid" or "generous" are gravid with implied presuppositions.)

Theory always precedes analysis - and in the limit, axiomatic assumptions are as inescapable as they are unprovable.
    You make good points, Occam, but perhaps idiom just meant he wants to take a more utilitarian approach, being fed up with the dead ends, loop-de-loops, and contradictions to which he perceives a pure moralistic approach to have lead him. Utilitarian in the loose sense, as in practical. Workable. That's the impression I got anyway.

I do not share idiom's disillusion with anarcho-capitalism, but I can understand the frustration in seeing/realizing that free market replacements for the state would be able to do many of the same things the state can, if one really doesn't want anyone to be able to do these particular acts, no matter what.

Both C and V are sets of physiological attributes in humans (and other mammals) expressing and detectable in blood tests and hormone levels.
    There is data for historical V and C levels?

We know the average V and C levels among ancient Romans?

V and C levels can be detected in tissue samples from long dead bodies?

Or are historical V and C levels being inferred? If so, from what?

As I mentioned, and as you also doubtless know if you are over the age of ten, adults universally express this observation that things used to be safer, that they used to have more trust, less crime, etc., that no one locked their front doors. It is a fact that cars did not generally used to be locked, and in fact going back one generation further could not be w/o customization because there were no locks installed by the manufacturers. In the absence of statistics, people's cumulative memory, observations, and life experiences are what we have to go by. I do not think these near-universal observations can be dismissed.
    So no data then...

What is the point you're trying to make here, anyway? You seem as though you're grasping for something to pounce on to contradict, but, like Danke, haven't been able to quite figure out what I'm on about. You just sense you want to disagree with it. Right?
    I sense that it's bunkum.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 07-20-2016 at 10:48 PM.

You make good points, Occam, but perhaps idiom just meant he wants to take a more utilitarian approach, being fed up with the dead ends, loop-de-loops, and contradictions to which he perceives a pure moralistic approach to have lead him. Utilitarian in the loose sense, as in practical. Workable. That's the impression I got anyway.

I do not share idiom's disillusion with anarcho-capitalism, but I can understand the frustration in seeing/realizing that free market replacements for the state would be able to do many of the same things the state can, if one really doesn't want anyone to be able to do these particular acts, no matter what.
    Any species of utilitarianism (whether "loose" or "tight," whatever that distinction is supposed to mean) will come laden with its own collection of the very kind of moralistic* assertions and assumptions that idiom is so fond of grousing about when it comes to Rothbard et alia (though it might not be as explicitly "obvious" about it).

Axiomatic presuppositions are inescapable for any ethical "ism" - and the fact that any such "ism" partakes of them cannot sensibly be held against it (as idiom is wont to do with respect to anarcho-capitalism).

* Utilitarianism is just as "moralistic" as any deontological ethics, as demonstrated by the fact that it is not sensible to offer a justification for the adoption of utilitarianism that is itself utilitarian and not "moralistic" (as this would result in an obvious circularity). Thus, utilitarianism is no less prone to the "dead ends, loop-de-loops, and contradictions to which [you suggest] he perceives a pure moralistic approach [has led] him."
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-21-2016 at 12:04 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

There is data for historical V and C levels?
    Yes. Like most all data, more as one approaches modernity, of course, but yes.

V and C levels can be detected in tissue samples from long dead bodies?
    That is a possibility, actually.

So no data then... I sense that it's bunkum
    Well, but we have your "sense", and that's better than data, right? You'd make a great historian (not!). Newsflash: all data is based on observation. You mayn't sensibly dismiss massive observational evidence and maintain any semblance of scientific integrity. Observation *is* data! Perhaps I should take all these overwhelmingly strong observations one-sidedly supporting one conclusion and collate them into a chart and then maybe you could comprehend them, yes? Especially if it had bright, primary colors.

He just called you a bunch of cucks. Basically.
    Umm, no.... don't know where that's coming from!

Yes. Like most all data, more as one approaches modernity, of course, but yes.

That is a possibility, actually.
    I'm confused.

Is there historical data going back to the distant past or not?

According to the snippet on the author's website, he attempts to explain historical events as distant as the collapse of the Roman Empire.

....I'm wondering how he manages to do that if there's no data.

I'm confused.

Is there historical data going back to the distant past or not?

According to the snippet on the author's website, he attempts to explain historical events as distant as the collapse of the Roman Empire.

....I'm wondering how he manages to do that if there's no data.
    There is data, lots of data. The alleged "no data" we were discussing referred to US property crime statistics. Don't play psychological games.

C and V are real, tangible, and biological. As I said, one might even be able to bring paleontology into it and find the markers in well-preserved ancient specimens (mummies?). This is interesting, cutting-edge research, and by far the most innovative thing going on in the field of history right now, as well as the one with the most important and far-reaching conclusions.

Bottom line: you are not qualified to have an opinion on any of this. You know nothing about it. You have not read any books about it. I am happy that you challenged me, but I have now answered all your questions and you are reduced to mere snarkiness. Sad. I hate to see you this way.

Pro tip: Just read the book. (One of the two. I'll link you to the short one.)

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Any species of utilitarianism (whether "loose" or "tight," whatever that distinction is supposed to mean)
    Tight is a systematic system, a moral philosophy, an "ism" as you say. Loose would be just taking the attitude "Eh, whatever works." No system.

Of course, to anticipate you, I do realize that in a sense the lack of a system in itself is a system. "Yes, you do have a philosophy!" and good old Robert LeFevre put it.

There is data, lots of data. The alleged "no data" we were discussing referred to US property crime statistics. Don't play psychological games.
    I asked you if there were historical data for V and C levels for the distant past.

You didn't really answer the question.

....except to note that it may be possible (as in, hasn't actually been done?) to extract V and C levels from ancient tissue samples.

C and V are real, tangible, and biological.
    Yes, I appreciate that. What I want to know is whether we actually know what V/C levels were in the past.

As I said, one might even be able to bring paleontology into it and find the markers in well-preserved ancient specimens (mummies?). This is interesting, cutting-edge research, and by far the most innovative thing going on in the field of history right now, as well as the one with the most important and far-reaching conclusions.
    Might...

Again, that makes it sound like there isn't any historical V/C level data.

Bottom line: you are not qualified to have an opinion on any of this. You know nothing about it. You have not read any books about it. I am happy that you challenged me, but I have now answered all your questions and you are reduced to mere snarkiness. Sad. I hate to see you this way.
    I'm qualified to point out that explaining historical events by V/C levels is problematic if you have no idea what historical V/C levels were.

...as is evidently the case.

Pro tip: Just read the book. (One of the two. I'll link you to the short one.)

Before I spend money on the book (it's only available for purchase evidently..), I'd like to have some basic questions answered.

...like whether or not the data on which the argument rests actually exists.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast