Thread: Does the Government do anything better than Private Enterprise?

Question Does the Government do anything better than Private Enterprise?

Since government is a monopoly, there's little incentive to innovate on what already exists.

It seems that the only place innovation exists in government is for warfare.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Government is able to govern better.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    Since government is a monopoly, there's little incentive to innovate on what already exists.

It seems that the only place innovation exists in government is for warfare.
    I dunno, sees its fairly innovative in regards to theft.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I dunno, sees its fairly innovative in regards to theft.
    Right, thats the covert skill. Missed that one.

Can't govern if you're not the government.

Duh.

Steal?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Destroy money and fight wars?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Destroy the value of money and fight wars?

Whenever I want either of those things done, I'll be sure to give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Destroy the value of money and fight wars?

Whenever I want either of those things done, I'll be sure to give them a call.
    If you call them on "your" phone, then be sure to thank them for the fact that it is "your" phone and not some other mothersucker's.

If a private enterprise called itself a government, what would make it less efficient?

Can forced association do anything better/accomplish anything that free association cannot? I don't think so, because if free people decided to do what in the other scenario people were forced to do, what would make it less efficient?... if anything the motivation coming from within would make the individual actors more productive. But it is better at accomplishing things that people do not want, not that the people aren't capable of accomplishing the same.

Yes, I think the govt is better that at taking care of people with end stage renal failure than private enterprise. That diagnosis used to be a death sentence until govt stepped in and put money into dialysis and organ transplant. Without that money, those patients are dead no question about that. Unless maybe they happen to have more money than God.

I would trust a government judicial system over a private one. Roads are also another one that I would prefer the government to run.

Prisons.

For-profit prisons are a horror, and the idea of profiting from someone's incarceration is an abomination.

Does the Government do anything better than Private Enterprise
    Death and Taxes.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Yes, I think the govt is better that at taking care of people with end stage renal failure than private enterprise. That diagnosis used to be a death sentence until govt stepped in and put money into dialysis and organ transplant. Without that money, those patients are dead no question about that. Unless maybe they happen to have more money than God.
    By that "logic," there is literally nothing the free market could possibly do better than government. All the government has to do is steal enough from other people to afford whatever it is that you want (regardless of how cheap or expensive it is).
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-23-2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: removed sig

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are some advantages to having a government. I believe and I could be wrong but isn't the separation of libertarianism and anarchy that libertarians believe in minimum government?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikezelot View Post
    [...] isn't the separation of libertarianism and anarchy that libertarians believe in minimum government?
    No. That is the separation between minarchism and (voluntaryist) anarchism.

Both are species of the libertarian genus.

(Murray Rothbard, aka "Mr. Libertarian," was an anarchist - specifically, an anarcho-capitalist ...)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-23-2016 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    By that "logic," there is literally nothing the free market could possibly do better than government. All the government has to do is steal enough from other people to afford whatever it is that you want (regardless of how cheap or expensive it is).
    Don't forget their presses......

That's stealing too of course, and today a 'press' is figurative.....

Point being government hasn't had to actually collect what they spend for longer than I've been alive.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Don't forget their presses......

That's stealing too of course, and today a 'press' is figurative.....

Point being government hasn't had to actually collect what they spend for longer than I've been alive.
    Being able to steal and counterfeit with impunity does provide somewhat of an edge in paying for stuff, doesn't it?

But, hey ... as long as it's for the kidney patients (or the space program, or the roads, or the children, or whatever-the-$#@!), it's all good ... amirite?

I mean, what's the point of stealing and counterfeiting $#@!loads of money if you're not going to spend it inefficiently and uneconomically?

After all, if you were going to be economical and efficient, you might as well have just done honest, productive work to begin with ...

How many of the kings tax collectors would be tar-n-feathered and sent back to the castle empty handed if they needed to collect their lucre before spending it?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    No, the free market can make TVs, cars, hamburgers etc etc better than the free market. Dialysis treatment is something that is something that is an exception to the rule because historically and worldwide, if govt is not stealing money for treatment, it is usually a death sentence for the patient.

Then again, maybe there would be more transplants if the UN and more govt didn't make it illegal to trade in human organs. Saying maybe because something end up with organ rejections or have some other complications that exclude them from transplants and they just end up living the rest of their lives getting dialysis treatment.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    No, the free market can make TVs, cars, hamburgers etc etc better than the free market. Dialysis treatment is something that is something that is an exception to the rule because historically and worldwide, if govt is not stealing money for treatment, it is usually a death sentence for the patient.
    That's not true... if I built a reverse engineered dialysis machine in my basement and put up an ad for cheap unlicensed, non-permitted, unaccredited dialysis I suspect the cost would be well within range for the individual or charity to cover.

On the flip side... if the TV and hamburger industries were as tightly regulated as dialysis I don't think anyone could afford either without uncle
    Last edited by presence; 07-23-2016 at 07:19 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The government is better than private enterprise at 2 things:

VIOLENCE & THEFT

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Does the title question include "organized crime" free enterprise?