Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon's Chinese counterfeit problem is getting worse

Amazon's Chinese counterfeit problem is getting worse

Hopefully this is the right section for this report:

Amazon's Chinese counterfeit problem is getting worse

Ari Levy | @Levynews
    3 Hours Ago

Amazon has opened the doors to allow Chinese manufacturers to sell directly to consumers, opening a floodgate of problems. CNBC's Senior Tech Reporter Ari Levy has the story;

Four things you should know about Amazon before shopping the prime sale3 Hours Ago|02:07
    Amazon.com is hard at work promoting next week's Prime Day and the more than 100,000 deals available to subscribers. As with all things Amazon, it's intended to be a major party for consumers.
    But longtime Amazon sellers like Jamie Whaley are in no mood to celebrate.
    A licensed nurse, Whaley started a bedding business on Amazon that reached $700,000 in annual sales within three years. Her patented product called BedBand consists of a set of shock chords, clamps and locks designed to keep fitted bed sheets in place.

Whaley and her husband found quite an audience, selling up to 200 units a day for $13.99 a set. BedBand climbed into the top 200 selling products in the home and kitchen category. That was 2013.
    By mid-2015, the business was in a tailspin. Revenue plummeted by half and Whaley was forced to lay off eight employees. Her sheet fastener had been copied by a legion of mostly Chinese knockoffs that undercut BedBand on price and jumped the seller ranks by obtaining scores of reviews that watchdog site Fakespot.com determined were inauthentic and "harmful for real consumers."

"Toe to toe we'll compete with anybody," said Whaley, who recently moved her family and a warehouse full of straps, clamps and chords from Texas to the mountains of Montana. "When you try to cheat or copy our products, it's a whole different story."
    Whaley still counts on Amazon for 90 percent of her revenue but she's actively trying to drive traffic to her own website and partner with other retailers. She's lost all trust in Amazon.

Full report here:
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/08/amazo...ing-worse.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mm. Yeah. I've received a lot of Chinese knock-off merchandise, myself. It's annoying. Last time it happened was with a micro-sd card on Ebay. It was packaged to look identical to the genuine product but not only was it labeled as a 128gb Samsung product, it was only maybe 8 gb. So, then, fraud two-fold.Sending counterfeit merchandise over state lines along with some other illegal stuff.

Amazon has always made it right in less than a few hours, though.

The futility of intellectual property, I guess.

The problem is as much the fact that the bastards can ship from China to my door cheaper than I can ship across the street, IMHO.

I've noticed the proliferation of fake reviews on Amazon lately. Additionally, you have the "product provided for free" reviews.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Shipping/mailing from China to the US is so subsidized, it is often cheaper to send things by individual parcel than it would be by container ship! Figure that out. And it is always cheaper to ship something from mainland China to anywhere in the US than it would be to ship the same item from one place in the US to another.

What a world! The Chinese men of state are thinking long-term. Spend a few billion* paying everyone's shipping bills, and after a few decades everything will be made in your country, and what's more everyone will buy it directly from your country. Weaken or eliminate retailers in the US or Europe, because retailers have power and leverage. All power in China. Pretty smart.

* Even better would be to have the idiot politicians in America pay all the China-to-US shipping bills! But no one would be that stupid. No one's leaders would pay billions of dollars in tax money to sabotage their own country's economy. It'd be like paying for your own hit-man. Even America's politicians aren't that corrupt and stupid. Right?
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 07-08-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I've noticed the proliferation of fake reviews on Amazon lately.
    Something that's been particularly problematic, at least for me, is to wade through all of the reviews on a product that gets merged with all sellers. For example, I'll look at something and read the reviews and they're misleading given that they allow all sellers to be reviewed under a single product. So, then, you sometimes have a dozen or so sellers selling a knockoff/inferior item but they are piggy-backing off of the legit product sellers under the same product review. So, then, it's hit and miss. You can't really go by the reviews because of that.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-08-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

The problem is as much the fact that the bastards can ship from China to my door cheaper than I can ship across the street, IMHO.
    That comes from the unbelievably bad, one-sided deal the US Postal Service has made with China. We are the ones paying these Chinese merchants' shipping bills, through our taxes. Figure that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Mm. Yeah. I've received a lot of Chinese knock-off merchandise, myself. It's annoying. Last time it happened was with a micro-sd card on Ebay. It was packaged to look identical to the genuine product but not only was it labeled as a 128gb Samsung product, it was only maybe 8 gb. So, then, fraud two-fold.Sending counterfeit merchandise over state lines along with some other illegal stuff.

Amazon has always made it right in less than a few hours, though.
    I've had the same problem. I bought a memory card on Ebay and when I tried to copy a bunch of files to it I kept getting errors. Tried formatting it and running checkdisk on it but it always "looked" good. That's when I googled it and found how they are selling all these crap memory cards over the internet and I downloaded a memory checking program that confirmed it's junk. Gave a bad review and got my money back. Tried 2 more times to get good memory from Ebay and both times it failed the test and I got my refund. Now I buy from Sam's club for 4 times the cost but it's worth it...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    I've had the same problem. I bought a memory card on Ebay and when I tried to copy a bunch of files to it I kept getting errors. Tried formatting it and running checkdisk on it but it always "looked" good. That's when I googled it and found how they are selling all these crap memory cards over the internet and I downloaded a memory checking program that confirmed it's junk. Gave a bad review and got my money back. Tried 2 more times to get good memory from Ebay and both times it failed the test and I got my refund. Now I buy from Sam's club for 4 times the cost but it's worth it...
    Yep. I ended up just going to Best Buy, myself. Crazy stuff, man.

A reported the seller to Ebay but all the seller did was take the listing down and create a new one selling the same counterfeit junk. Ever since then, I'm boycotting Ebay. Never again will I buy from there just because they don't do anything about the illegal activity. Seems like they're complicit.

Of course, I've seen the same thing happen on Amazon with the sd cards. Difference, though, is that Samsung does consistently make the effort to publicly respond to the complaints of counterfeit goods and have been trying to weed those products/sellers out with Amazon.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Yep. I ended up just going to Best Buy, myself. Crazy stuff, man.
    MicroCenter is a good deal on SD cards. Maybe NewEgg and TigerDirect are, too. But then, maybe Best Buy is, too, nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    MicroCenter is a good deal on SD cards. Maybe NewEgg and TigerDirect are, too. But then, maybe Best Buy is, too, nowadays.
    I ended up buying a 128gb evo at Best Buy for like 30 bucks or so. It was a good buy.

That is good. It took forever for the 128s to arrive, years between 64 and 128, but once they finally did they got cheap quickly and the 256 followed in very short order. There must have been a technological hump to get over. 128s at first release a few years ago were a couple-few hundred dollars each.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    But longtime Amazon sellers like Jamie Whaley are in no mood to celebrate.
    A licensed nurse, Whaley started a bedding business on Amazon that reached $700,000 in annual sales within three years. Her patented product called BedBand consists of a set of shock chords, clamps and locks designed to keep fitted bed sheets in place.

Whaley and her husband found quite an audience, selling up to 200 units a day for $13.99 a set. BedBand climbed into the top 200 selling products in the home and kitchen category. That was 2013.
    By mid-2015, the business was in a tailspin. Revenue plummeted by half and Whaley was forced to lay off eight employees. Her sheet fastener had been copied by a legion of mostly Chinese knockoffs that undercut BedBand on price and jumped the seller ranks by obtaining scores of reviews that watchdog site Fakespot.com determined were inauthentic and "harmful for real consumers."

"Toe to toe we'll compete with anybody," said Whaley, who recently moved her family and a warehouse full of straps, clamps and chords from Texas to the mountains of Montana. "When you try to cheat or copy our products, it's a whole different story."
    Whaley still counts on Amazon for 90 percent of her revenue but she's actively trying to drive traffic to her own website and partner with other retailers. She's lost all trust in Amazon.
    She's getting beat, end of story. These sad-sack stories are so dumb...

That's what business does - compete.

Something that's been particularly problematic, at least for me, is to wade through all of the reviews on a product that gets merged with all sellers. For example, I'll look at something and read the reviews and they're misleading given that they allow all sellers to be reviewed under a single product. So, then, you sometimes have a dozen or so sellers selling a knockoff/inferior item but they are piggy-backing off of the legit product sellers under the same product review. So, then, it's hit and miss. You can't really go by the reviews because of that.
    Yeah, I see that too. Very misleading.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    That comes from the unbelievably bad, one-sided deal the US Postal Service has made with China. We are the ones paying these Chinese merchants' shipping bills, through our taxes. Figure that out!
    Great. What new madness is this?

Stupid beyond belief:

Though McGrath didn’t realize it at first, he was running into a quirk in an international treaty that makes it possible for an individual to send a pound of stuff from Hong Kong to D.C. for less than it would cost to send the same package from, say, Seattle.

This strange consequence of postal law was less significant when the mail was mostly personal correspondence. But as Chinese companies began logging on to Web marketplaces like eBay, Amazon, and Alibaba, they started taking advantage of the shipping deal to sell directly to American consumers. And so it’s never been easier to get something cheap and Chinese delivered to your door for a startlingly low price: $4.64 for a digital alarm clock; $2.50 for a folding knife; $1.88 for an iPhone cable — all with shipping included.

“I can’t believe our government would do this to undercut American sellers to help the Chinese sell more in America,” McGrath said.

Under this decades-old arrangement, which is overseen by an agency of the United Nations and has participation from nearly every country, national postal services give each other discounted rates on international mail under a certain size and weight.

Here’s how it works. Say someone from Germany wants to sends a letter or package (under 4.4 pounds) to Chicago. The German postal service will handle the Germany-to-U.S. leg. After the package arrives in, say, New York, the USPS takes over, delivering it to its final destination.

Countries used to provide this forwarding service to each other for free, but in 1969 an update to this postal treaty called for small fees (called terminal dues) on each mail piece. Since then the dues have grown, and the payment system has become labyrinthine. In most cases, however, postal services still charge each other less than they would charge their own citizens for moving a package across the country.

According to the terms set out in Universal Postal Union treaty, the USPS in 2014 gets paid no more than about $1.50 for delivering a one-pound package from a foreign carrier, which makes it hard to cover costs. [1] The USPS inspector general’s office estimated that the USPS lost $79 million in fiscal year 2013 delivering this foreign treaty mail. (The Postal Service itself declined to provide specific figures.)

In an effort to ride the e-commerce boom, the Postal Service signed a deal in 2010 with China’s state carrier to sell a special service for small packages entering the U.S. For a small premium, the USPS offered tracking and delivery confirmation, an essential feature for online retailers, as well as expedited shipping.

The Postal Service plainly hoped to grow its Asia presence. One official said in a press release at the time that the arrangement “holds great potential for increasing international package volumes for the Postal Service.” In 2011, the Postal Service announced a similar deal with Hong Kong’s postal carrier. The press release said that the move “solidifies our role as a key supplier in global commerce.” Singapore Post joined in 2012, and Korea Post joined in 2013.

The USPS offers this service, called “ePacket,” to foreign postal operators looking to increase global trade with the United States, spokeswoman Darlene S. Casey said in an e-mail. It has proven popular. Between fiscal years 2011 and 2012, China nearly tripled the number of packages sent under this program, from 9.5 million to 26.8 million. Revenues quadrupled. Casey also noted that the USPS relies on business income, not tax dollars, to fund its operations. (It lost another $5 billion last fiscal year.)

But this has still been a money sink for the Postal Service. In 2012, USPS was paid only 94 cents on average for each piece of Chinese ePacket mail, according to a February report from the Postal Service’s inspector general’s office. That report estimated that the Postal Service was losing about a dollar on each incoming item, adding up to a $29.4 million net loss in 2012.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ff-from-china/

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    She's getting beat, end of story. These sad-sack stories are so dumb...

That's what business does - compete.
    Perhaps.

Of course, angela's point with regard to IP holds true.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-08-2016 at 01:08 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I never could figure it out . I can buy a pair of 9kt gold filled ear rings from china for 4 bucks and free shipping or I can send something to Texas from Indiana for 4 bucks postage.
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-08-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I've noticed the proliferation of fake reviews on Amazon lately. Additionally, you have the "product provided for free" reviews.
    I down vote all of those as unhelpful. I'm not even gonna tell you what I purchased based on those fake reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I down vote all of those as unhelpful. I'm not even gonna tell you what I purchased based on those fake reviews.
    Have some more wine and rethink that, please?

Have some more wine and rethink that, please?
    The fake reviews or the questionable purchases?
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

The fake reviews or the questionable purchases?
    Definitely the purchases!!!!

Definitely the purchases!!!!
    Yeah, I confided a few of them to Lucille. I told her my computer needs a breathalyzer. Once, I bought a pair of shoes off ebay and didn't realize they were two different sizes. It was stated in the description but I didn't have time for that - they were cute and it was a steal.

Who the hell wears two different size shoes anyway?

Yeah, I confided a few of them to Lucille. I told her my computer needs a breathalyzer. Once, I bought a pair of shoes off ebay and didn't realize they were two different sizes. It was stated in the description but I didn't have time for that - they were cute and it was a steal.

Who the hell wears two different size shoes anyway?
    Dang. My right foot is just a tad longer than my left foot. And I had no idea that you could buy different sizes without switching them around in the store (not that I do that..but you know what I mean). I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Dang it. If I'm going to buy an I-Phone or I-pad or a Coach handbag or Armani suit or Mattel Barbie (all made in China), then I don't want some knock off. I want an authenticate I-Phone or Coach product made in China.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Dang it. If I'm going to buy an I-Phone or I-pad or a Coach handbag or Armani suit or Mattel Barbie (all made in China), then I don't want some knock off. I want an authenticate I-Phone or Coach product made in China.
    If I'm going to spend $200.00+++ for a Coach bag, it had damn well better be real leather and not say Roach on the label, lol. I don't have a problem if the bag is advertised as a knockoff but a lot of times, it's not and you end up paying premium for a piece of crap.

The Coach outlet is the best place to get a deal on a nice bag - Orlando has a great one. Maybe @Danke will take me shopping when he wins the lottery and takes us to Disney.

Her patented product called
    sympathy is zero for muh patents

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

If I'm going to spend $200.00+++ for a Coach bag, it had damn well better be real leather and not say Roach on the label, lol. I don't have a problem if the bag is advertised as a knockoff but a lot of times, it's not and you end up paying premium for a piece of crap.

The Coach outlet is the best place to get a deal on a nice bag - Orlando has a great one. Maybe @Danke will take me shopping when he wins the lottery and takes us to Disney.
    Good idea , have him pick me up a bottle of 100 Proof Bourbon too.

Worry not, Trump will make these trade deals Great again

It'll be Great. I promise
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

It's one thing to knowingly buy a neck tie including shipping for 94 cents versus getting unconvincing "OEM" fakes for tech products. Follow the adage "you get what you pay for."

I can’t believe our government would do this to undercut American sellers to help the Chinese sell more in America,” McGrath said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast