Thread: What's Worse Than Pot Staying Illegal? Pot as an FDA-Regulated Drug

What's Worse Than Pot Staying Illegal? Pot as an FDA-Regulated Drug

What's Worse Than Pot Staying Illegal? Pot as an FDA-Regulated Drug
    A lawyer who helps companies gain regulatory approval says getting reclassified as a legal, but controlled, substance could kill the industry.

BY WILL YAKOWICZ
    JUN 17, 2016

The end of marijuana prohibition is coming. But how the federal policies will change could have a dramatic effect on the nation's burgeoning legal marijuana businesses, which could fall victim to the same scourge that has hampered so many other nascent industries: regulations.

At the end of this month, the Food and Drug Administration and the Drug Enforcement Administration will announce their decision whether or not to reclassify marijuana under the Controlled Substances Act. The agencies did not give a hint as to which way they are leaning, but there are a number of moves they could take--the plant could be de-scheduled completely like alcohol or tobacco; it could remain as a Schedule I drug (it's current classification) or some of the plant's active chemicals could be rescheduled while the whole plant could remain illegal.

The real concern among those in the industry is what happens if the FDA and DEA reschedule marijuana as a Schedule II drug. FDA regulation experts say if pot is placed in the same category as legal pharmaceutical formulations of opioids like oxycodone and stimulants like amphetamine the burden of keeping up with regulatory compliance might be too costly for many of today's small marijuana companies.

"Schedule II would be a nightmare for the cannabis industry," says Andrew Ittleman, a lawyer and partner at Fuerst Ittleman David & Joseph in Miami. His firm helps companies navigate FDA's laws and regulations.

read more:
    http://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/nig...-cannabis.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wake me up momma please.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

You didn't expect this?

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

So what if they make it a "controlled" legal drug. People will still be able to grow the stuff.... It's a WEED!!

Can't see that the war on it would be any worse. Of course unregulated would be best but we all know the goons can't stand for that.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    So what if they make it a "controlled" legal drug. People will still be able to grow the stuff.... It's a WEED!!

Can't see that the war on it would be any worse. Of course unregulated would be best but we all know the goons can't stand for that.
    I think because legally (and I use that term lightly), you still would have people getting massive prison sentences for getting caught with it. Take MS for example, which has decriminalized misdemeanor possession. That now turns into felony possession of a schedule II drug.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    I think because legally (and I use that term lightly), you still would have people getting massive prison sentences for getting caught with it. Take MS for example, which has decriminalized misdemeanor possession. That now turns into felony possession of a schedule II drug.
    Yes but we are in the medical profession and we know of hundreds of patients who are "abusers" of controlled substances and the goons leave them alone. They quite frankly don't have the resources to jail 30% of the population (at least not yet).

THIS ONE

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes but we are in the medical profession and we know of hundreds of patients who are "abusers" of controlled substances and the goons leave them alone. They quite frankly don't have the resources to jail 30% of the population (at least not yet).
    Not always. And yes, not yet.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Not always. And yes, not yet.
    I see "legalization" as at least a step in the right direction to acceptance as a useful drug. Maybe a bit later they would move it down to a lower level of control.

THIS ONE

I'm with you. I'm talking people without a prescription, and how this change would effect their status under legal terms.

I see "legalization" as at least a step in the right direction to acceptance as a useful drug. Maybe a bit later they would move it down to a lower level of control.
    And agree 100%. At least at schedule II, it opens the doors for extensive testing, to change perceptions and do some real educating.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    You didn't expect this?
    just like with ecigs, the govt will be used to push the little guys out so the big corps can own the market.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

This is why I have never been a proponent of "legalize it." Decriminalize it and it's use and get the government the hell out of peoples lives.

It was classified years ago as schedule I.

It was classified Wrong.. (deliberately)
    Everyone knows (except the extremely ignorant) it is classified wrong.

Reschedule it. Decriminalize it at the Federal Level.

End 100 years of Failure.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really don't see this as a big issue for Legal States,,
    Perhaps some smaller side issues,, of a clerical nature.

and it may help legalization efforts in some states.

Now I would certainly prefer a Free Market,,, but we have the market we have..

lets get product to consumers.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    This is why I have never been a proponent of "legalize it." Decriminalize it and it's use and get the government the hell out of peoples lives.
    This ^^^ +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    There is a rumor going around that DEA will make marijuana schedule II on August 1.

http://www.smobserved.com/story/2016...st-1/1484.html
    http://www.smobserved.com/story/2016...orks/1562.html

Other people are calling BS on the story though and DEA is denying it.

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2016/...uana-august-1/
    https://www.leafly.com/news/headline...g-announcement
    Speculation and wishful thinking,, v harsh and ugly realities

It should be declassified. And legal for it's many uses..
    But the Police State is built on Prohibition.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    And agree 100%. At least at schedule II, it opens the doors for extensive testing, to change perceptions and do some real educating.
    Me too. Obviously it would be best if the government stayed out of it completely but this is better than making it totally illegal.