Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Libertarians who sport the legalization of marijuana

Question for Libertarians who sport the legalization of marijuana

I want to see how honest you guys are. You support the legalization of marijuana. OK. Do you also support the elimination of laws banning the smoking of tobacco in public? When I turn 18 next year, I'm going to start smoking a pipe. Why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke my pipe in public? It used to be allowed, until anti-smoking zealots took over.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure, public smoking should be legal. In private places (stores, homes, etc), owners can ban it. I see absolutely no point in banning public smoking outdoors. Car emissions and mesquite fireplaces bother my allergies more than the typical smoker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoConPrep View Post
    I want to see how honest you guys are. You support the legalization of marijuana. OK. Do you also support the elimination of laws banning the smoking of tobacco in public? When I turn 18 next year, I'm going to start smoking a pipe. Why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke my pipe in public? It used to be allowed, until anti-smoking zealots took over.
    Oh honey, when we were your age, we smoked in elevators, movie theaters, restaurants, at our desks, in department stores....it's so sad that you have no idea what that miniscule amount of freedom looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Oh honey, when we were your age, we smoked in elevators, movie theaters, restaurants, at our desks, in department stores....it's so sad that you have no idea what that miniscule amount of freedom looked like.
    Heh. This is true. Both points...

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 08-10-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Outdoors and on your own property, smoke to your hearts content, anywhere and everywhere. Indoors, releasing toxic chemicals begins to infringe on my liberty.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

I don't support your right to do something that could harm others in a public place like smoking in close quarters. I do support your right to smoke anything you want in your home or any private place that allows it. I could see exceptions made for outdoor public spaces, you won't bother anyone there.

I have no problem with public smoking . There was no need for govt to be involved in that. Ea place of business can choose for themselves.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yet we see another thread started by this member, asking yet another question and only to disappear for days to months to repeat the same thing. He doesn't have the courtesy to make any replies to the people that were generous enough to respond to his questions.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Outdoors and on your own property, smoke to your hearts content, anywhere and everywhere. Indoors, releasing toxic chemicals begins to infringe on my liberty.
    Your liberty - your property. You have the right to stay home.

Or support a nonsmoking establishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

there's private ownership of the air now?
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Or support a nonsmoking establishment.
    But they aren't as fun and non-smokers want to have the same fun the smokers have.

If air is property then business owners would be responsible for the harm their air causes on patrons.

I think they should ban people from establishments who fart too much! It's my air!

On airplanes and in hospitals too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    there's private ownership of the air now?
    Airspace has been recognized as a type of property for many moons. That's why there are legal consequences for being a "public nuissance" (noise, smoke, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoConPrep View Post
    I am not in favor of anti-smoking laws. I abide by them,, but then I had never been deliberately obnoxious about it.

I do try to be discrete with Marijuana. Some are acceptant and some are not.
    I find perfumes and colognes,, and "air fresheners" to be more offensive.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 07-02-2016 at 12:20 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I think they should ban people from establishments who fart too much! It's my air!
    *changes my friends name to "Broken Wind", and no, he isnt Native American Indian*
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do (pdf)

Of course, as a libertarian, the NAP also applies. And most probably the 'Golden Rule' also.

"Do as you please - but harm no other in their person or property."

Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-02-2016 at 04:38 AM.

I do not frequent smoking intolerant establishments any more than necessary and will not socialize with the smoking intolerant.

FYI, I gave up tobacco almost 2 years ago and took up vaping at my son's request, after almost 45 years of tobacco use....

Smoke Nazis are a pet peeve of mine, so much so that I've come to blows more than once over the matter, $#@! the whole lot of 'em!

[edit]

For the kid in the OP....

Find yourself a good tobacconist and stick with them, I'd advise against buying any of the prepackaged swill.

Any tobacconist worth their salt will buy leaves in bulk and cut and process them themselves assuring the customer of a quality product free from the chemicals used by the mass-merchandisers.
    Last edited by tod evans; 07-02-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I do not frequent smoking intolerant establishments any more than necessary and will not socialize with the smoking intolerant.

FYI, I gave up tobacco almost 2 years ago and took up vaping at my son's request, after almost 45 years of tobacco use....

Smoke Nazis are a pet peeve of mine, so much so that I've come to blows more than once over the matter, $#@! the whole lot of 'em!

[edit]

For the kid in the OP....

Find yourself a good tobacconist and stick with them, I'd advise against buying any of the prepackaged swill.

Any tobacconist worth their salt will buy leaves in bulk and cut and process them themselves assuring the customer of a quality product free from the chemicals used by the mass-merchandisers.
    A minor stroke finally "persuaded" me to retire my 50 year pack a day smoking habit, about 5 years ago. In hindsight, I now really wish that I had all of that money back.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-02-2016 at 05:37 AM.

If God wanted yuns to smoke he'd have put a stove pipe on top of yer noggins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    A minor stroke finally "persuaded" me to retire my 50 year pack a day smoking habit, about 5 years ago. In hindsight, I now really wish that I had all of that money back.
    I wish I had all the money back I wasted on booze/dope/fast cars-n-bikes and loose women too.......

But I wouldn't trade the experiences for any amount of money...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    If God wanted yuns to smoke he'd have put a stove pipe on top of yer noggins.
    +rep for proper use of yuns......

Think of it this way. Consider that your car broke down and you've been stranded on a road some place deep in the mountain terrritory. No phone signal. No nothing. Maybe in the middle of January. And there may be times when nobody travels that road for days at a time to discover you. You have your wife, your kid in the back seat. You've got no water or food left aside for a few bottles. And you have a bag of cookies that junior had back there. You don't have anything suitable to keep you alive for what is likely an unknown amount of time. Right? But you know there is a town maybe 15 miles away. Could you make it there? Could you carry your wife and child through that territory if'n you hadda? Up hills. Down hills. Through river. Could you do it? I'd bet a smoker would last maybe an hour.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-02-2016 at 05:55 AM.

Think of it this way. Consider that you've been stranded on a road some place deep in the mountain terrritory. No phone signal. No nothing. Maybe in the middle of January. And there may be times when nobody travels that road for days at a time to discover you. You have your wife, your kid in the back seat. You've got no water or food left. You don't have anything. Right? But you know there is a town maybe 15 miles away. Could you make it there? Could you carry your wife and child through that territory id'n you hadda? Up hills. Down hills. Through river. Could you do it? I'd bet a smoker would last maybe an hour.
    I've worked, as in physical construction type labor, ever since I got out of the Navy and after smoking for 40+ years I could absolutely carry normal sized humans. I'm not one of these internet gargantuan's...

After another cuppa, maybe two, I'm heading out to my shop to sling around lumber/sheetgoods for hours on end.....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I've worked, as in physical construction type labor, ever since I got out of the Navy and after smoking for 40+ years I could absolutely carry normal sized humans. I'm not one of these internet gargantuan's...

After another cuppa, maybe two, I'm heading out to my shop to sling around lumber/sheetgoods for hours on end.....
    Probably. I'd take your word for that. But most couldn't, though. I don't think so anyway. It was just a question that I ask every time I hear or read a smoking discusion. I'm not an anti-smoking nazi or anything. I don't really care what people consume into their bodies. It's their body.

But I'm glad to say that I've talked a few people into quitting smoking.

Think of it this way. Consider that your car broke down and you've been stranded on a road some place deep in the mountain terrritory. No phone signal. No nothing. Maybe in the middle of January. And there may be times when nobody travels that road for days at a time to discover you. You have your wife, your kid in the back seat. You've got no water or food left aside for a few bottles. You don't have anything suitable to keep you alive for what is likely an unknown amount of time. Right? But you know there is a town maybe 15 miles away. Could you make it there? Could you carry your wife and child through that territory if'n you hadda? Up hills. Down hills. Through river. Could you do it? I'd bet a smoker would last maybe an hour.
    Fifteen miles? I know I could do it. Mr Animal would probably have a harder time than me because I'm in better shape than him to tackle a challenge like that. I'm not stronger but I have more endurance than he does. I do a lot of cardio (running and elliptical) but he does the weights. The man is built like a brick $#@! house but I can out run him - not over short distances but over long ones, easily. I'm not a regular smoker, though. I just smoke when I'm drinking and someone else is smoking. Hell, I plan on doing a 5k drunk in the heat next month. I could definitely walk 15 miles through the mountains. I would stay on the road, though. Just in case someone happened by and it's easier walking.

And why would you have to carry your wife? Is she handicapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Fifteen miles? I know I could do it. Mr Animal would probably have a harder time than me because I'm in better shape than him to tackle a challenge like that. I'm not stronger but I have more endurance than he does. I do a lot of cardio (running and elliptical) but he does the weights. The man is built like a brick $#@! house but I can out run him - not over short distances but over long ones, easily. I'm not a regular smoker, though. I just smoke when I'm drinking and someone else is smoking. Hell, I plan on doing a 5k drunk in the heat next month. I could definitely walk 15 miles through the mountains. I would stay on the road, though. Just in case someone happened by and it's easier walking.

And why would you have to carry your wife? Is she handicapped.
    It's just a hypothetical question I ask smokers sometimes.

I didn't really think of staying on the road, though. I suppose you could do that. I was just trying to make it sound as bad as I could.

Given that I'm not married anymore, and why, I'd have likely left her to fend for herself with the bears and whatnot.

But I was just thinking maybe if you did have a wife and she couldn't make it anymore...maybe she might be a lard ass or something. You never know. Still, though, I suppse if you stayed on the road instead of taking the deep rout, then, it wouldn't likely matter.

Anyway. I guess my screwery won't work around you all. Y'all messing up my narrative and whatnot.

I'll have to think on revising it.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-02-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast