Thread: Apple patents system for disabling cameras in no-photography areas

Apple patents system for disabling cameras in no-photography areas

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0190365...tography-areas

Apple has been awarded a patent that describes a mobile camera technology that can interpret infrared signals, which could then be used to disable the camera from recording at events like concerts, among other things.

An infrared transmitter would send encoded data to the device, which would be processed by the phone. Depending on the application, the device may temporarily disable its built-in camera in locations where photography and video capture are forbidden, for example music venues, classified company areas or museums. With the system activated a 'RECORDING DISABLED' message would pop up on the smartphone screen when the user tries to take a photo or video. The patent even mentions the ability to add a watermark to any images or video captured when certain infrared signals are detected.

The patent also describes use of this technology to provide additional information or visuals in a different scenario: for example, an art gallery. Pointing a smartphone camera at an IR transmitter positioned next to a painting could provide more information on the device's screen about the artwork. The patent also mentions applications in retail environments.

There is understandably some concern about how and where such systems would be implemented. Arguably, most people would be fine with concert venues protecting the intellectual property of their acts or companies preventing industrial espionage, but there are concerns that the technology could also be used to undermine the freedom of the press. As usual, the existence of a patent does not necessarily mean we'll ever see the final product, but in this case it might be worth at least keeping an eye on how the idea is being developed further.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mm. Yep. The war on photography has been evolving over time. Persistently and consistently. I think I had a thread on that very subject around here some place come to think of it.

Go to youtube and lookup a live performance taken on someone's phone. It's $#@!ty quality, but if you like the artist it might get you hyped up to go see them live. In fact, many artists intentionally record some concerts in high quality and upload them to youtube for their fans to enjoy.

The Grateful Dead was the most successful touring band of all time - they ENCOURAGED their audience to record their concerts and pass them around.

Most artists who are concerned about protecting their 'intellectual property' at concerts aren't worth listening to, anyway. They don't love their fans, who are the reason they are successful making music.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Go to youtube and lookup a live performance taken on someone's phone. It's $#@!ty quality, but if you like the artist it might get you hyped up to go see them live. In fact, many artists intentionally record some concerts in high quality and upload them to youtube for their fans to enjoy.

The Grateful Dead was the most successful touring band of all time - they ENCOURAGED their audience to record their concerts and pass them around.

Most artists who are concerned about protecting their 'intellectual property' at concerts aren't worth listening to, anyway. They don't love their fans, who are the reason they are successful making music.
    True. However, it remains a convenient legality to use as an excuse to drop the hammer on such things as political activism.

Personally I view intellectual property to be a legal fiction. Compounded by the evolution of technology and it's intrinsic function as a driver within modern civilization itself, the philosophy is obsolete. But that's another topic all together.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-01-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Great. Now where do I get one of those infrared devices.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Ah haaaaa. Good point. 20 American dollars says you can't. And won't. You aren't the intended end user. Show us a badge and maybe we can work something out.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-01-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    The cops will probably be the first to own.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."