Thread: Tulsi Gabbard Among Bipartisan Group Introducing Gun Control Legislation

Tulsi Gabbard Among Bipartisan Group Introducing Gun Control Legislation

By MAX DIBLE West Hawaii Today
    KAILUA-KONA — One day after 170 Democrats ended their sit-in on the House floor over a lack of movement on gun control, a bipartisan group of representatives that included Tulsi Gabbard sprang into legislative action.

Gabbard, D-Hawaii, joined eight other House members Friday, including four Republicans, in the introduction of legislation aimed at restricting the sale of firearms to individuals placed on the No-Fly List and Selectee List, subsets of the broader Terrorism Screening Database.

The legislation, HR 5576, is the House-companion to the Terrorist Firearms Prevention Act being led in the Senate by Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine.

“In the three and a half years I’ve served in Congress, the Republicans have not once allowed members to vote on any gun control legislation,” Gabbard said of House Republicans in a statement emailed to West Hawaii Today last week. “It is outrageous in this democracy, with a representative form of government, that we are not even allowed to vote on sensible gun control legislation that is supported by the vast majority of the American people.”

Two Senate measures addressing the issue, one from each side of the aisle, proposed as amendments to a larger spending bill were voted down last week. The legislative gridlock, characterized by heavy voting along party lines, preceded the sit-in on the House floor.

While each defeated measure contained some version of restricting the sale of firearms to suspected terrorists, the divisive hinge point between Democrats and Republicans was the right to due process, particularly for those mistakenly placed on terrorist watches like the No-Fly List.

The bipartisan legislation co-sponsored by Gabbard and introduced in the House on Friday is structured in the same fashion as the Democratically-sponsored amendment that was defeated in the Senate — those on the specified terrorist watch lists are immediately and universally denied the right to purchase firearms, after which they are allowed to appeal that decision in a federal court.

But Gabbard’s new legislation contains one important caveat.

Americans or green card holders denied access to legally purchase firearms would not only have a federal appeal process available to them, but the presiding court would be required to rule within a 14-day period, a feature unique to HR 5576 from previously proposed legislation.

A potential steppingstone

The mentally ill and convicted criminals are already banned from purchasing firearms, and after a 6-2 Supreme Court ruling Monday, domestic abusers may now be denied the right to purchase firearms as well.

HR 5576, which would add suspected terrorists to the above list, does not address the expansion of background checks to a universal extent — a measure that would encompass all gun sales, including those conducted online or at gun shows.

Nor does the bill deal with gun control beyond the scope of suspected terrorists or terrorist sympathizers.

“This bill is a bipartisan compromise and a good place to start,” Gabbard said in a statement, “but it is by no means the last step to fixing the problem of gun violence in our nation.”
    continued at Hawaii Tribune Herald
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those "black" representatives are back at it trying to undermine the 4th and 2nd amendments. I hope the "white" reps are able to defeat this push for more gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Those "black" representatives are back at it trying to undermine the 4th and 2nd amendments. I hope the "white" reps are able to defeat this push for more gun control.
    Or we could keep out muzzies and these bills would not be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RestorationOfLiberty View Post
    Or we could keep out muzzies and these bills would not be needed.
    Tell that to Donald Trump who I believe wants to rescinding the second amendment to people on terrorist/no fly list. But yea, we increase the number of "white" people and decrease the number of "black" people and we would have a more secure society. Guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Tell that to Donald Trump who I believe wants to rescinding the second amendment to people on terrorist/no fly list. But yea, we increase the number of "white" people and decrease the number of "black" people and we would have a more secure society. Guaranteed.
    He looked into it, caught holy Hell from us, and changed his tune.

A little disappointed. Not really a surprise, as she is a Democrat. Nice that some due process is included, but can't imagine it will pass.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    A little disappointed. Not really a surprise, as she is a Democrat. Nice that some due process is included, but can't imagine it will pass.
    Do not put such blind faith in the people.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    A democrat who speaks out against war mongering of Hillary/Obama. Leave her alone, at least she is consistent in her opposition to violence and principled... unlike vast majority of double-standard politicians in both parties.

lol Hawaii politics IS violence.

I'm on an FBI list this month because I exercise my 2nd amendment right, and happen to live in her state.

She voluntarily went into the military, followed a b.s. CIC peace president, and broke her oath. Yep, pretty consistent.

I'll not leave a politician alone, who somehow miraculously rose through the ranks of Hawaii politics with her VAGUE "opposition to violence", and is now infringing.

I'll let better equipped folks "rise" to the level of polite opposition or whatever that crap is called. It's not working out for me to resist that way.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 06-30-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Dang, I liked Gabbard better when all I know about her was her effort to withhold funding to the CIA and DoD for any Syrian intervention.