Thread: Antibiotics can stop the growth of new brain cells and impair memory

Antibiotics can stop the growth of new brain cells and impair memory

Antibiotics can stop the growth of new brain cells and impair memory

Lori Alton

It’s long been known that antibiotics cause problems in the gut, disrupting the population of healthy microorganisms, increasing vulnerability to a variety of infectious diseases. But evidence is now emerging that antibiotics, with the ability to kill gut bacteria, also have the ability to stop the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus – the area of the brain associated with memory.

A study of laboratory mice published recently in Cell Reports reveals that a type of white blood cell communicates between the brain, the immune system, and the gut. But antibiotics were found to greatly diminish the presence of these particular white blood cells – likely causing the reduction in generation of new brain cells and worsened memory observed in the mice.

How memory, immune system and gut health are all connected

A large body of research has focused on the effects of antibiotics on otherwise healthy gut microbes. These studies have shown that antibiotics can have far-reaching impacts, leaving the body more at risk for disease.

The idea that the immune system could somehow influence growth and health of brain cells has also been observed in earlier studies, as early as 10 years ago. But there have not been as much evidence until recently of the link from the brain to the immune system and back to the gut.

The area of the brain affected by the loss of healthy gut bacteria is known as the hippocampus. It is widely understood to be the brain’s memory center and typically produces new brain cell’s across a lifetime.

In another study, mice with normal gut bacteria but low levels of the specific white blood cells, due to genetics or targeted antibiotic use, were found to have the same memory and brain cell deficits as mice who had lost gut bacteria. Once researchers replaced the white blood cells in mice, the memory and neurogenesis showed improvement.

Read more: http://www.naturalhealth365.com/anti...ells-1882.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think I may have used to know that. But I seem to have forgotten it. Hmmm?

I've never known a doctor to prescribe long term antibiotic regiments without also advising probiotics. Is this article meant to say antibiotics are bad, and to be avoided?
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

This is a weird story, so am I to believe that killing gut bacteria somehow affects brain cell replacement? don't know if I believe it. Anyway, do you know your semen contains antibiotic. If this story is true then this gives you another excuse to use when someone tells you to swallow

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is a weird story, so am I to believe that killing gut bacteria somehow affects brain cell replacement? don't know if I believe it. Anyway, do you know your semen contains antibiotic. If this story is true then this gives you another excuse to use when someone tells you to swallow
    The OP story doesn't exactly relay word for word the study linked. Antibiotics do not kill white blood cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    The OP story doesn't exactly relay word for word the study linked. Antibiotics do not kill white blood cells.
    Yes, antibiotics disrupts cell wall formation and human cells don't have cell walls. Also reading the paragraph about that talks about memory, it seems like they think that immune system affects brain cell regeneration but taking antibiotics shouldn't really affect your immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Yes, antibiotics disrupts cell wall formation and human cells don't have cell walls. Also reading the paragraph about that talks about memory, it seems like they think that immune system affects brain cell regeneration but taking antibiotics shouldn't really affect your immune system.
    Best I understand the study, they seem to imply that normal bacteria found in the digestive tract cause the production of small amounts of white cells, which somehow transport material to the brain that helps with short term memory. And that long term antibiotic regiments , by killing these bacteria, negate the production of those white cells.

Even if true, the study differentiates between long and short term. 7 to 10 days is normal,and 6 weeks to 6 months is long term. All doctors advise patients on such a regiment to take probiotics, mainly for constipation worries. It's why I'm curious as to the intent of this posting. Are they trying to say antibiotics are bad?

I've never known a doctor to prescribe long term antibiotic regiments without also advising probiotics. Is this article meant to say antibiotics are bad, and to be avoided?
    I have never had a doctor tell me to take probiotics while on antiobiotics. For far too long people have been over-prescribed antibiotics. Antibiotics are great to help get rid of a bad bacterial problem, but they will wipe out the good bacteria in your gut as well.

Microbes in Your Gut Influence Your Brain, Too

It’s not only your immune system that has a direct line to your brain. Your gut, which is teeming with microbial life, also communicates with your brain, via what’s known as the “gut-brain axis.”

In fact, in addition to the brain in your head, embedded in the wall of your gut is your enteric nervous system (ENS), which works both independently of and in conjunction with the brain in your head.

This communication between your "two brains" runs both ways and is the pathway for how foods affect your mood or why anxiety can make you sick to your stomach, for instance. However, this gut-brain connection is about far more than just comfort food or butterflies in your stomach. According to Scientific American:6

"The gut-brain axis seems to be bidirectional—the brain acts on gastrointestinal and immune functions that help to shape the gut's microbial makeup, and gut microbes make neuroactive compounds, including neurotransmitters and metabolites that also act on the brain."

This also explains why changes in your gut bacteria are linked to brain disorders and more, including depression. Jane Foster, PhD, an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral neurosciences at McMaster University, described to Medicine Net the multiple ways your gut microbes communicate with your brain:7

“One is via the enteric nervous system, the part of the nervous system that governs the digestive tract. Also, gut bacteria can alter how the immune system works, which can affect the brain. The gut bacteria are involved in digestion, too, and the substances they make when they break down food can affect the brain.

And under certain conditions, such as stress or infection, potentially disease-causing gut bacteria, or bad bugs, can leak through the bowel wall and enter the bloodstream, enabling them and the chemicals they make to talk with the brain through cells in blood vessel walls.

Bacteria could also communicate directly with cells in certain regions of the brain, including those located near areas involved in stress and mood…”

Altering Your Gut Bacteria May Influence Your Mood

A study published in the peer-reviewed journal Gastroenterology enlisted 36 women between the ages of 18 and 55 who were divided into three groups:8

The treatment group ate yogurt containing several probiotics thought to have a beneficial impact on intestinal health, twice a day for one month
    Another group ate a "sham" product that looked and tasted like the yogurt but contained no probiotics

Control group ate no product at all

Before and after the four-week study, participants underwent functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans, both while in a state of rest and in response to an "emotion-recognition task."

For the latter, the women were shown a series of pictures of people with angry or frightened faces, which they had to match to other faces showing the same emotions.

"This task, designed to measure the engagement of affective and cognitive brain regions in response to a visual stimulus, was chosen because previous research in animals had linked changes in gut flora to changes in affective behaviors," UCLA explained.9

Interestingly, compared to the controls, the women who consumed probiotic yogurt had decreased activity in two brain regions that control central processing of emotion and sensation:

The insular cortex (insula), which plays a role in functions typically linked to emotion (including perception, motor control, self-awareness, cognitive functioning, and interpersonal experience) and the regulation of your body's homeostasis.

The somatosensory cortex, which plays a role in your body's ability to interpret a wide variety of sensations

During the resting brain scan, the treatment group also showed greater connectivity between a region known as the "periaqueductal grey" and areas of the prefrontal cortex associated with cognition. In contrast, the control group showed greater connectivity of the periaqueductal grey to emotion- and sensation-related regions.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...onnection.aspx

Ref: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-second-brain/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have never had a doctor tell me to take probiotics while on antiobiotics. For far too long people have been over-prescribed antibiotics. Antibiotics are great to help get rid of a bad bacterial problem, but they will wipe out the good bacteria in your gut as well.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...onnection.aspx

Ref: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-second-brain/

I agree 100%. Have you ever been on long term regiments? Again, 7 to 10 days are not long term, and rarely have negative effects. However, women are more prone to yeast infections, even on short term regiments. Reason I ask, is because long term regiments are almost always advised with probiotics. Antibiotics are over prescribed, but the failure of doctors there is giving in to idiots who want a pill for everything. Antibacterial soap, they even have antibacterial paint now.

We're already seeing organisms with genetic immunities to antibiotics. We are on the verge of a pandemic that is incredibly frightening. And very real.

It's why I was asking if this article is trying to say antibiotics are bad. Is overuse bad? Without question. But if someone was trying to say they were bad, my answer would be we are about to find out exactly what life is without them, and it is not going to be pretty.

I agree 100%. Have you ever been on long term regiments? Again, 7 to 10 days are not long term, and rarely have negative effects. However, women are more prone to yeast infections, even on short term regiments. Reason I ask, is because long term regiments are almost always advised with probiotics. Antibiotics are over prescribed, but the failure of doctors there is giving in to idiots who want a pill for everything. Antibacterial soap, they even have antibacterial paint now.

We're already seeing organisms with genetic immunities to antibiotics. We are on the verge of a pandemic that is incredibly frightening. And very real.

It's why I was asking if this article is trying to say antibiotics are bad. Is overuse bad? Without question. But if someone was trying to say they were bad, my answer would be we are about to find out exactly what life is without them, and it is not going to be pretty.
    I am not taking the article to say antibiotics are bad in of itself, but being prescribed too much, having all the antibiotic stuff around us is definitely causing problems--long term. My father was on long term antibiotics with no probiotics--they were feeding him sugary things like Ensure and apple sauce.

I agree, we are heading for major problems because of antibiotic resistant bacteria. However, I believe people need to beef up their immune system so they can fight a good fight if this poses a problem for them. That is why many people are turning to alternative medicine to help.

MRSA can be killed by Manuka Honey.
    Manuka honey, on the other hand, is made with pollen gathered from the flowers of the Manuka bush (a medicinal plant), and clinical trials have found this type of honey can effectively eradicate more than 250 clinical strains of bacteria, including resistant varieties such as:

MRSA (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus)
    MSSA (methicillin sensitive Staphylococcus aureus)
    VRE (vancomycin-resistant enterococci)
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...d-healing.aspx

Those with a compromised immune system can especially benefit from manuka oil, since it supports the overall immune function without compromising gut flora as many antibiotics do. Our gut flora, or healthy bacteria, is considered one of the biggest components of our immune system, so manuka oil can help to fight ‘bad’ bacteria without hurting the ‘good.’
    http://naturalsociety.com/manuka-ant...mrsa-bacteria/

Gut Flora Accounts for up to 80% of Immunity, Not Vaccinations
    http://naturalsociety.com/gut-flora-...-vaccinations/
    Last edited by donnay; 07-03-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I am not taking the article to say antibiotics are bad in of itself, but being prescribed too much, having all the antibiotic stuff around us is definitely causing problems--long term. My father was on long term antibiotics with no probiotics--they were feeding him sugary things like Ensure and apple sauce.

I agree, we are heading for major problems because of antibiotic resistant bacteria. However, I believe people need to beef up their immune system so they can fight a good fight if this poses a problem for them. That is why many people are turning to alternative medicine to help.

MRSA can be killed by Manuka Honey.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...d-healing.aspx

http://naturalsociety.com/manuka-ant...mrsa-bacteria/

Gut Flora Accounts for up to 80% of Immunity, Not Vaccinations
    http://naturalsociety.com/gut-flora-...-vaccinations/
    I had to take bactrim and cipro for 8 months due to a horrendous bacterial prostate infection, and my doctor made sure I was taking probiotics. I guess the lesson is, sadly, not all doctors are alike. Of course, I am lucky in that my wife is medical, so she understands risks and side effects, and makes sure my bases are covered as well.

I had to take bactrim and cipro for 8 months due to a horrendous bacterial prostate infection, and my doctor made sure I was taking probiotics. I guess the lesson is, sadly, not all doctors are alike. Of course, I am lucky in that my wife is medical, so she understands risks and side effects, and makes sure my bases are covered as well.
    Sounds like you have a good doctor and good wife.