Thread: Ban lawn-mowers, it's for the children!

Ban lawn-mowers, it's for the children!

Interesting that 20 year olds now qualify as "children". Considering that in the new economy many children will live with their parents until 30 or later, they may need to expand the definition of child.

Also of note is the gender gap. Something must be done to fix the inequality in lawn-mowing injuries.

Lawn-Mower Chores Can Prove a Peril to Children
    More than 9,000 youngsters hurt annually in the U.S.
    Is it time to rethink lawn-mower chores?
    By Ann Lukits - June 27, 2016

Getting children to mow the lawn is a common way to teach them responsibility. But a new study found that more than 9,000 youngsters are injured in the U.S. every year while mowing the lawn.

The researchers compared pediatric-mowing injuries during a recent 10-year period with the previous 15 years. The number of children who get hurt annually hasn’t changed in more than two decades, they found.

More than a third of the injured children in the latest study, which was published in the American Journal of Surgery, were under 12 years of age, and there was a spike in injuries recorded at ages 3 and 16. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children be at least 12 years old before operating any mower and at least 16 to operate a riding or tractor-style mower.

The study, at the University of Tennessee in Memphis, used data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to identify patients age 20 and younger treated for mowing-related injuries between 2004 and 2013. The commission collects data from approximately 100 emergency departments to produce national estimates. The data were compared with an earlier review of pediatric mowing-related injuries from 1990 to 2004.

An estimated 93,508 lawn-mower injuries were recorded during the latest study, or an average of about 9,351 a year. That compares with 9,400 injuries a year reported in the earlier review. About 80% of injuries occurred in boys.

Cuts, burns, fractures, amputations and projectile injuries caused by flying objects thrown up by the mower were the most common injuries. Most injuries affected hands and fingers, followed by toes, feet, face and eyes.
    More: http://www.wsj.com/articles/lawn-mow...ren-1467039912
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was 9 doing wheelies on my dads brand new Wheelhorse, I'd learned how to bypass the governor on the Kohler one lunger....

It was a blast until I let the oil out............Threw a rod..

Got my ass beat with a belt and grounded forever....

So yeah I can see lawnmowers being 'dangerous'.......

Ban lawnmowers?

I hope you're joking, because that's ridiculous. We can't ban lawnmowers.

We can, however, require a license to operate them.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Ban lawnmowers?

Oh geez... I know this is satire, but let's not give them any more bright ideas!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Ban lawnmowers?

I really like the way you bring common sense approaches to problems TheTexan. I'm still can't believe they allow bicyclists on our roadways without drivers licensing and insurance requirements.

People up to 20 years old have been considered "children" in gun violence figures for decades now.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will you need a helmet to operate?
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Too tall for growing legs, Tod. We've got to set the young ones at it:

Ban lawnmowers?

Why stop there, have liscense plates, registration and require an inspection sticker including emission inspection and sticker...
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

You know, that gives me an idea. Too bad I need to get a drag mat to fill in some pits in my yard. Those teeny wheels on that reel might be a problem. Plus that narrow swath might take me 3-4 hours to mow

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I thought that was the point of building the wall?

When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Good work, Dad, except I do not approve of the helmet!

I was 9 doing wheelies on my dads brand new Wheelhorse, I'd learned how to bypass the governor on the Kohler one lunger....

It was a blast until I let the oil out............Threw a rod..

Got my ass beat with a belt and grounded forever....

So yeah I can see lawnmowers being 'dangerous'.......
    Knew you'd like this one. Should have had a contest of "guess what age Tod Evans first rode a mower".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Ban lawnmowers?

We need reasonable and common sense lawn mower control. A no-mow list would be a good start.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 06-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    People up to 20 years old have been considered "children" in gun violence figures for decades now.
    Wouldn't be surprised.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Meh.

Fight Childhood Obesity, hire a fat American kid to mow your lawn this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Hey, now. Do you have me on block, donnay? Post #8

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hey, now. Do you have me on block, donnay? Post #8
    LOL! I honestly did not see that you posted that. GMTA.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Too tall for growing legs, Tod. We've got to set the young ones at it:
    When son breaks the front end on the zero turn doing wheelies this is definitely an option...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised.
    No, really. John Lott wrote about it in More Guns, Less Crime. He showed that when you look at raw numbers, actual children are more likely to drown in 5 gallon buckets than to die from a genuine gun accidents. The left has included 14-22yo gangbangers in that figure to make it into something it clearly is not.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

My husband flipped our mower when he was 50. Our teens seem to be doing okay on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When son breaks the front end on the zero turn doing wheelies this is definitely an option...
    You break it, you bought it.

Buy sheep and goats instead, it's for the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Buy sheep and goats instead, it's for the children.
    Not allowed by my HOA
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Not allowed by my HOA
    Texans are good Goat fearing people.

About 80% of injuries occurred in boys.
    Male patriarchy.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    Male patriarchy.
    I survived my injuries.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom