Thread: Greenspan Warns A Crisis Is Imminent, Urges A Return To The Gold Standard

Greenspan Warns A Crisis Is Imminent, Urges A Return To The Gold Standard

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...-gold-standard

On Friday afternoon, after the shocking Brexit referendum, while being interviewed by CNBC Alan Greenspan stunned his hosts when he said that things are about as bad as he has ever seen.

"This is the worst period, I recall since I've been in public service. There's nothing like it, including the crisis — remember October 19th, 1987, when the Dow went down by a record amount 23 percent? That I thought was the bottom of all potential problems. This has a corrosive effect that will not go away. I'd love to find something positive to say."

Strangely enough, he was not refering to the British exodus but to America's own economic troubles.

Full article on link.

What do you think about Gold being Money now, Zippy? Or, should I say BEN?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If we went back on the gold standard and we adhered to the actual structure of the gold standard as it existed prior to 1913, we'd be fine. Remember that the period 1870 to 1913 was one of the most aggressive periods economically that we've had in the United States, and that was a golden period of the gold standard. I'm known as a gold bug and everyone laughs at me, but why do central banks own gold now. Alan Greenspan 2016
    RON PAUL = TOTAL AND COMPLETE VINDICATION
    Last edited by jllundqu; 06-27-2016 at 06:07 PM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Ron Paul vs Bernanke: Is Gold Money? - July 13, 2011

Ugh, Bernanke turns my stomach every time I have to listen to his verbal diahhrea... The "is gold money" part is at 5 minutes in...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...-gold-standard

Full article on link.

What do you think about Gold being Money now, Zippy? Or, should I say BEN?
    Wow - this is so on target I can't believe I never thought of it:

We are running out of people. In other words, everyone is very pleased at the fact that the employment rate is rising. Well, statistics tell us that we need more and more people to produce less and less.
    We are running out of people. In other words, everyone is very pleased at the fact that the employment rate is rising. Well, statistics tell us that we need more and more people to produce less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

He basically said the same thing years ago in one of his books, right after he left the Fed. It's all a big pyramid scheme, and it will eventually fail. To delay the failure, he advocated for massive immigration. Reduce labor costs to offset monetary inflation, hope to increase the tax base with more people. He didn't anticipate that the tax base could stagnate at the same time that population increased, made worse by entitlement/welfare cost increases. Central planners always fail due to unforeseen circumstances and unintended consequences.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

"Eurozone which he defined as a truly “vulnerable institution,” primarily due to Greece’s inclusion in its structure. “Get Greece out. They’re a toxic liability ...

[Eurozone Crises] fundamentally it is not so much an issue of immigration, or even economics, but unsustainable welfare spending, or as Greenspan puts it, "entitlements. ...

And so what we have at this stage is stagnation. ... the money supply ... which has always been a critical indicator of inflation, is for the first time going up remarkably steadily 6 percent, 7 percent, almost a straight line. It's tilted up in the last several months. ... . The thing that we should be worrying about now ... is that this type of economic environment ends with inflation. Historically, fiat money has always ended up that way. ...

If we went back on the gold standard and we adhered to the actual structure of the gold standard as it exited prior to 1913, we'd be fine. Remember that the period 1870 to 1913 was one of the most aggressive periods economically that we've had in the United States, and that was a golden period of the gold standard. ..."

OMG. I am watching out for flying pigs right now.

Greenspan has always been brilliant, and understood the monetary policy, gold standard, fiat currency, and the consequences but he has refrained from speaking such direct truths for several decades until now.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Greenspan has always been brilliant, and understood the monetary policy, gold standard, fiat currency, and the consequences but he has refrained from speaking such direct truths for several decades until now.
    Is he about to kick the bucket?

Greenspan said that slow growth or even stagnation is the likely economic problem of the future- not recession. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ala...ope-2016-06-24

Behind the slowdown in income is the sharp drop in worker productivity, according to Greenspan. Governments have to cut entitlements to reflect this weakness, he said.

The biggest concern is not a recession, but stagnation, the former Fed chief said.
    Today he called the referendum a "terrible mistake."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ro-area-tested

U.K. policy makers miscalculated and made a “terrible mistake” in holding a referendum on whether to quit the European Union, in which voters opted to leave the bloc, former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said.

That decision led to a “terrible outcome in all respects,” Greenspan, 90, said in an interview with Bloomberg Surveillance on Monday in Washington. “It didn’t have to happen.”
    Not fond of Greece being included.

Greenspan said he did not have sympathy for the idea that the U.K. would be better off outside the EU, despite the problems the bloc faces in a structure where countries with different economies and cultures share the same currency.

“The EU is fundamentally a very good idea,” Greenspan said. “It’s a free trade-zone structure, which we need an awful lot of, so that the choice of Britain to stay in the EU and yet out of the euro zone was, I thought, the most sensible action that could be taken.”

The U.K.’s decision to exit is a sign that the EU and euro zone need readjustment away from a model where northern nations are supporting those in the south, Greenspan said.

The euro zone is the truly “vulnerable institution,” Greenspan said, primarily due to Greece’s inclusion in its structure. “Get Greece out. They’re a toxic liability sitting in the middle of a very important economic zone.”

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Yeah we are at permanent stagnation until the next down turn . Last time , the employment situation was worse than The Great Depression when at that time there were about 5 people for ea job . Last downturn there were 6 for ea job for a long time . Only 6 in 10 Americans work and that number will not rise. The tax revenue will not ever equal the budget so the debt is added to continually . The currency will become a crisis at some point , when I have no idea . This in the present form will not last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    "Eurozone which he defined as a truly “vulnerable institution,” primarily due to Greece’s inclusion in its structure. “Get Greece out. They’re a toxic liability ...

[Eurozone Crises] fundamentally it is not so much an issue of immigration, or even economics, but unsustainable welfare spending, or as Greenspan puts it, "entitlements. ...

And so what we have at this stage is stagnation. ... the money supply ... which has always been a critical indicator of inflation, is for the first time going up remarkably steadily 6 percent, 7 percent, almost a straight line. It's tilted up in the last several months. ... . The thing that we should be worrying about now ... is that this type of economic environment ends with inflation. Historically, fiat money has always ended up that way. ...

If we went back on the gold standard and we adhered to the actual structure of the gold standard as it exited prior to 1913, we'd be fine. Remember that the period 1870 to 1913 was one of the most aggressive periods economically that we've had in the United States, and that was a golden period of the gold standard. ..."

OMG. I am watching out for flying pigs right now.
    I always thought that he did the job he was hired to do, not the job he wanted to do.

On Greenspan:

Referring in general to slow economic growth worldwide. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ala...ope-2016-06-24 Growth is slow due several issues including slow increases in technology (meaning slower increases in productivity) and slower population growth.
    Greenspan said that slow growth or even stagnation is the likely economic problem of the future- not recession. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ala...ope-2016-06-24

Today he called the referendum a "terrible mistake."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ro-area-tested
    Well Zippy, first you say Greenspan wasn't saying Brexit was terrible, he was only talking about the recent global economy in general, now you say Greenspan was talking about Brexit. Which is it?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

What does the gold standard during 'that the period 1870 to 1913' look like? From looking at the wiki I saw there was a coinage act of 1873. Not sure if this influences his 'start date'. And the most obvious thing in 1913 would be the creation of the fed, is this what provides his 'end date'? What was different about the gold standard prior to 1870 and after 1913 that made him select this time period?

Translation: Greenspan owns gold

Great time to make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    What does the gold standard during 'that the period 1870 to 1913' look like? From looking at the wiki I saw there was a coinage act of 1873. Not sure if this influences his 'start date'. And the most obvious thing in 1913 would be the creation of the fed, is this what provides his 'end date'? What was different about the gold standard prior to 1870 and after 1913 that made him select this time period?
    Coinage act of 1873 ended the production of 3 low denomination coins , ended bimetalism which ended the then current practice of the mint striking silver dollars free for bullion presented, gold dollars were still in production ( from 1875 to 1888 there were never 20k struck in one yr ). Basically from 1874 to 1878 ( 1878 first yr of Morgan dollar ) , no silver dollars were made except Trade Dollars which were intended for use overseas, domestic bank reserves in those days were held in bags of Half Dollars and gold coins . In California , gold dust and privately minted small denomination gold coins were still in use ( one dollar , halves and quarters)
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-28-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

...lol!...the old puppet greedspawn urges 'return' to a 'gold standard' that never existed!!...

...[hint for goldbuggers: ...much less ludwig, more zarlenga....]

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    16 posts in and no one quoted the most hilarious words in the whole interview:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenspan
    I’m known as a gold bug and everyone laughs at me, but why do central banks own gold now?
    Tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Then , of course there was The Panic of 1873.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Then , of course there was The Panic of 1873.
    Also the recession of 1882- 1885.
    The recession of 1887–88
    The recession of 1890–91
    The panic of 1893
    The panic of 1896
    The recession of 1899–1900
    The recession of 1902–04
    The panic of 1907
    The panic of 1910- 1911

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

The recession of 1887–88
    The recession of 1890–91
    The panic of 1893
    The panic of 1896
    The recession of 1902–04
    The panic of 1907
    The panic of 1910- 1911

And the great Plains Blizzards of 1873 , '86 , '88

The recession of 1887–88
    The recession of 1890–91
    The panic of 1893
    The panic of 1896
    The recession of 1902–04
    The panic of 1907
    The panic of 1910- 1911

The panic of 1893 resulted in a lot of valuable low mintage coins today, all of the 1893 dollars ( P ,S , CC , O & 1894 P ), the 1893 S half dollar and quarter , 1893 O dime.

100 yr.'s before the Panic of 1873 , it took a week to follow the old Buffalo Trace from the Falls of the Ohio ( Louisville ) to where it came out on the Wabash ( Vincennes ) to cross to the land of the Illini , and white people were using Spanish silver coins for money .

Having a sanity flashback there, Alan?