Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: East Coast states want to tax drivers’ travel, not their gas

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    There are ways which do not involve vehicle tracking.
    Of course there are.

But that is not what will become law once having accepted the premise.

Not only will the system monitor miles, but rat out any "bad driving" to the cops as well.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Oh yes lets convert all our rights to privileges so that we can be taxed equally.Why don't we consider taxing those who actually use the roads i.e. commercially. We don't have the right to use the roads for commercial purposes. Before an intelligent discussion can be had on this topic we must define the word use. Can we decide on what we are discussing before we decide its kewl to tax otherwise I suggest bowing down and licking the hand that feeds you.

The libertarian solution is some sort of user fee. That's just that.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    The point of libertarianism is voluntary transactions - the non aggression principle. Taxes are not voluntary.
    Driving is voluntary. If you don't drive, why should you pay for the roads?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Driving is voluntary. If you don't drive, why should you pay for the roads?
    I keep saying this about having to pay school taxes at gunpoint. I don't have a kid in school anymore so why they gotta be all up in my pockets...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I keep saying this about having to pay school taxes at gunpoint. I don't have a kid in school anymore so why they gotta be all up in my pockets...
    Social Contract comrade.

Move the $#@! along now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Social Contract comrade.

Move the $#@! along now.

Mm. True. I think, though, that the so called free contract principle that angela mentioned is ultimately dependent upon coercion, too. In other words, I think that her so called free contract would still devolve into a social contract. And justice itself would likely turn into a commodity, too. Which is dangerous. And far more tyrannical than anything we've known throughout history.

Anyway. Far too complex of a discussion for the purpose of this thread. Maybe some other time we can go through and analyze all of the different isms that function and self-identify (equally dangerous) with libertarianism in some detail for comparison sake of their end results once thought all the way through. Reason being is that many, many ideas, comparable to stalking horses, are often forwarded in the name of liberty, that, once thought all the way through, are technically counterintuitive to it in scope. And often counterintuitive in a way that defies any principles of non-aggression. Again, how would one physically enforce their rule of me not driving on their private road if I didn't pay them money to do so? How would they enforce the idea that simply not driving on their private road is the only means of opting out?

Of course, simply not driving on someone's private road isn't the only way to opt out. angela's description supports/furthers that notion that a monopoly must exist and guide the terms of controversy by the mere fact that the only way to opt opt, by her model, is to simply not drive. A pay me or you don't drive kind of deal. How would she enforce it? That's a fair question to ask. What if I decide that simply not driving on her road isn't the only way to opt out? What if I just build my own private road to compete with hers complete with my own private security forces...also to compete with hers? How do you think that would end up? It'd likely get jiggy as a mofo in a hot second. Well...unless her private security came to my doorstep to maybe "talk me out of it" first.

Similar to what Dear Leader was saying the other day...

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-27-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    There is no such thing as a right to roads or the use thereof.

To explain why, let's think about what it would mean if, hypothetically, Americans had the right to roads. That would mean that someone, somewhere, is obligated to build and maintain roads for us. Likewise, a right to use roads would mean that if someone were to create a road, then immediately all other Americans would be entitled to use their road.

It's identical to the concept of the right to electricity, water, internet, healthcare, or donuts.
    In this country we have an absolute right to travel which includes use of an automobile on the roads. I have won once to this fact, I have a freind in Little Rock Arkansas that the police who impounded his car over and over and parked it in the fence of the impound lot across the street from his house numerous times came to him and advised they where told not to arrest him or sieze his automobile because if they keep doing it NO ONE in Arkansas would have to get a license. This occurred intermediately after a friend of mine worked up a little notice concerning inspection stickers based on an Arkansas case Gordan vs Smith (1937) I don't have the cite handy where inspection stickers had been held unconstitutional. As a result of his notice inspection stickers where repealed immediately.

The jest of my diatribe is simple if you are on the road for hire your use of the roads requires license etc and you do not have the "right" to use the roads and can be taxed by the mile, hour, gallon, ton etc. It is a privilege to use the roads as a place of business. I use the roads as a place of business its part of my career.

To help you understand the simple concept consider that the roads are an easement. Someone somewhere has a right to that easement. Who is that someone ? the People have the right to the use of the easement.

Corporations do not have any rights as they are a creature of the government. Corporations could be taxed in this fashion. I can be taxed like this in my AKA company truck because I haul stuff down the road for others for pay. You should really take a close look at your states MV code and give close consideration to the definitions therein. Drive, use, motor vehicle, this State, transportation all have very specialized definitions and if you pay close attention to them it's easy to see that your right to travel exists.

I agree it would be nearly impossible for government to respect this right, how the f??? would a policeman know the difference to what you where doing with your "ride".

I am glad this topic came up, I say let them try it will open the biggest can of worms for this nazi, communist, retard infested cess pool government that our bible warned us about.

Off to work have a nice day.
    Last edited by mrsat_98; 06-27-2016 at 05:11 AM.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Doesn't increased fuel efficiency guarantee increased miles? So they want to charge people more for using less of something. State gonna state, I guess.

Im in favor of removing the gas tax 100% from all states and reporting mileage. Not some sort of tracking device though. Just odometer readings annually.

They want their cake and to eat it too. If you use gas in your car, youre already paying per mile.

This has nothing to do with generating revenue. This has everything with constantly tracking every move you make so that your location data can be used against you in a court of law.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can politicians be burnt as bio-diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Let's see how combustable they are first, then we'll seek out an eco-solution

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    That would cause global warming.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    That would cause global warming.
    It might be a net positive if you take into account all the BS they spew out both ends over the course of their tenure...

The first guy to make a device that disables this thing will make tens of million.

In this country we have an absolute right to travel which includes use of an automobile on the roads.
    On whose roads? Where do those roads come from?

To help you understand the simple concept consider that the roads are an easement. Someone somewhere has a right to that easement. Who is that someone ? the People have the right to the use of the easement.

Apparently everything is a right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by RestorationOfLiberty View Post
    The first guy to make a device that disables this thing will make tens of million.
    Yes, but after taxes, registration of said tools, business licenses, fees compliance inspections, and costs afforded for regulation of said device, the net profits could be measured in a handful of pesos.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

The commercial truckers should have to pay to maintain the roads, they are the ones that damage them the worst, so I say tax only them.
    Then they can pass the tax on to the guys freight they are carrying, then to the rest of us in increased retail prices.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tax tires. Obviously they are based on milage and bigger tires accommodate heavier larger vehicles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12