Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Texit?"

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Me, too!

...In Texas and other states, the Brexit vote came too late for U.S. secessionist to use it as a springboard to launch drives resulting in ballot measures for the November election.

But it did push the idea that if they can land a measure on the ballot for secession, they have a good chance to win over voters.

“We intend to mimic that process here in California by putting an independence referendum on the ballot so we can exercise our right to self-determination and vote to leave or remain part of the American Union,” said Louis Marinelli, president of the secessionist group, the Yes California Independence Campaign.

VERMONT REPUBLIC?

The group, which opposes what it calls mass domestic surveillance and militarization of California’s local police departments, said the state has the resources to go it alone and doing so will be in the best interest of Californians.

Campaigns have been simmering for years in places like Hawaii and in New Hampshire, where the Free State Project has been looking to have 20,000 people move to the New England state and set up a colony of like-minded people opposed to big government....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Going to look up the California Independence Campaign.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

California Independence Campaign

I can see it now

Donald Trump -- President of the Republic of Texas

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I can see it now

Donald Trump -- President of the Republic of Texas

Best place for a huge beautiful wall. Keep the damn Okies out.

Texit would be a rebellion since there is no legal course for it. I think we know how such a foolish attempt would turn out, not that it is in any way realistic for a single state to pull it off.
    Last edited by ChiefJustice; 06-24-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Going to look up the California Independence Campaign.
    Never start in ca. They don't have the gumption. Mostly liberal statists.
    Last edited by kfarnan; 06-24-2016 at 09:57 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    Texit would be a rebellion since there is no legal course for it. I think we know how such a foolish attempt would turn out, not that it is in any way realistic for a single state to pull it off.
    interesting perspective @ChiefJustice
    what is your suggestion for liberty?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    Never start in ca. They don't have the gumption. Mostly liberal statists.
    Couldn't even push Prop 19(legal marijuana) through in 2010 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tion_19_(2010)

"And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.":

"List of (31)military installations in Texas".

Sure hope it happens. My ancestors (WWI and II, confederates, revolutionary war) may have died for this country, but now it's the country that's dying

Won't happen. Too many libs here and the secessionist group are looked on as nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    Foolish?

How so?

Quebec first, that will show it can be done here as well.

A 2014 Reuters/Ipsos poll showed nearly a quarter of Americans are open to their states leaving the union.
    Why not...why this constant fight?

Like a marriage gone completely bad, why force populations of people who despise each other to stay togther when they have nothing in common?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Not only that, but Staten Islexit, too!

Staten Island wants to secede from being part of New York City. Actually, they already voted to do this back in 1993, but politicians at the state level screwed them!

Now A Staten Island Lawmaker Wants To Secede From New York City

Britain’s exit from the EU has triggered a call from a New York City councilman for Staten Island to secede from the five boroughs of the city, DNAinfo reported.

Councilman Joe Borelli described the vote to leave the European Union “inspiring” in a tweet Thursday night, saying that his constituents on the island want their borough to be free of the city.

Staten Island attempted to secede from the city in 1993, when 65 percent of Staten Islanders voted for an independent city charter. However, the state Assembly blocked the measure by delaying it until it was too late to vote on the plan.
    more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/24/no...new-york-city/
    Last edited by Valli6; 06-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL. Okay, here's the difference. The Libson treaty included mechanism for secession. The U.S. constitution didn't. Yeah I've heard the "10th amendment means we can" argument. Okay. Andrew Jackson, a president often revered by liberty folks for his stand against the national bank, begged to differ. (As in "I regret not hanging my VP John Calhoun and all of the rest of the secessionists.")

Now, what difference does that all make? Simple. Let's take impeachment. We have a mechanism to remove the president. Sure, it's never been successfully followed through, though the votes were there to oust Nixon, but it's there. So no constitutional crisis if it's put into place. If it wasn't, and a group of people said "We don't want you as president anymore" then there would be nothing left to do but a coup. Well a coup against the U.S. government was tried. It was the civil war. It didn't succeed. (And personally I think Jeff Davis and company were a bunch of wankers and I don't care who disagrees with me on that.)

So what's left? If there's no mechanism for secession in the constitution....you can change the constitution. Mark Levin et al (and I don't trust them) are pushing for an article 5 convention of the states. Well in that convention a "secession amendment" could be added. Or the new constitution could be ratified to just leave out Texas and anyone else that doesn't want to be part of the U.S.

Of course...the real rub is this. Will getting rid of the United States end tyranny? Do reindeer fly around the world on the 25th of December? Yeah, maybe a quarter of Americans are for secession. How many are for ending the drug war? A solid majority.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2014/...-end-war-drugs

So we could re-arrange the masters on the plantation, or start dismantling the plantation. If solid majorities of Americans are for ending the drug war, and if there is already a mechanism to end the drug war (Colorado leads the way), why not concentrate on something we can actually....well...accomplish?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Trump: Texas won't secede because 'Texas loves me'

Donald Trump on Saturday dismissed the idea of Texas seceding from the United States, saying the Lone Star State wouldn't do it because "Texas loves me."

Speaking to reporters in Scotland two days after the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union, Trump shot down comparisons between the so-called Brexit and the possibility of Texas seceding from the union.

“Texas will never do that because Texas loves me,” he told reporters at his golf course Aberdeen.

"Texas would never do that if I’m president."

Trump praised the U.K. following the vote to leave the EU, saying Friday that they “took their country back.”
    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...texas-loves-me
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Well a coup against the U.S. government was tried. It was the civil war.
    Thanks jmdrake that's a very accurate way of putting it. I had forgotten, that the South wanted to conquer and take over the North.

It didn't succeed.
    And therefore now its illegal.

If solid majorities of Americans are for ending the drug war, and if there is already a mechanism to end the drug war (Colorado leads the way), why not concentrate on something we can actually....well...accomplish?
    But what Colorado is doing is illegal. Like you said - there is a mechanism in place, and its called voting at the federal level to change things.

Because we certainly wouldnt want to do anything the Federal government might disapprove of.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Thanks jmdrake that's a very accurate way of putting it. I had forgotten, that the South wanted to conquer and take over the North.
    I never said anything about conquering the North or trying to take it over dimwit. A coup is a way to remove a head of state by force. One can have a coup and not "take over" the government. That happens all the time. A rebellion is a way to throw off an entire government you no longer agree with by force. You may or may not decide to try to take it over. The point, that's gone over your thick skull, is that the EU had a defined legal mechanism for Britain to leave just like the U.S. has a defined legal mechanism to remove a president. (Impeachment).

And therefore now its illegal.
    I never said it was. Never said it wasn't. The point is that if you want to compare Brexit to Texit you need to specify what it the equivalent in the U.S. constitution to the provision in the Lisbon Treaty that will now be invoked to complete Britain's Brexit.

But what Colorado is doing is illegal. Like you said - there is a mechanism in place, and its called voting at the federal level to change things.
    Wrong rocks for brains. What Colorado is doing is perfectly legal. They repealed their drug laws. The federal anti drug laws are still in place but without the state and local governments enforcing state and local drug laws the federal drug laws are pretty much meaningless. It's local cops that bust the on the corner drug dealer or the person they pull over who smells like weed. It's well established that the Federal government can't force state governments to enforce federal law. If the feds want federal drug laws enforced they have to do that themselves. And they simply lack the manpower to do that for the average drug transaction.

Because we certainly wouldnt want to do anything the Federal government might disapprove of.
    When you get through with stupid neg repping and making stupid arguments perhaps you will be ready to actually contribute to the conversation.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Brexit brings up many interesting options for the future, but I doubt secession in the US is one of them. The EU is a relatively recent thing and it was sold as a "common market", not a supra-state. As far as most are concerned, the book has been closed when it comes to states wanting to secede from the Union.

"Exit" is going to be a very important concept in the coming age, but it won't come to the US until things get much worse.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

It's well established that the Federal government can't force state governments to enforce federal law. If the feds want federal drug laws enforced they have to do that themselves.

You're right, the same argument couldnt possibly be used for secession.
    - Kim Kardashian

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why not...why this constant fight?

Like a marriage gone completely bad, why force populations of people who despise each other to stay togther when they have nothing in common?
    Because, America
    - Kim Kardashian

You're right, the same argument couldnt possibly be used for secession.
    Colorado not enforcing federal drug didn't involve Colorado firing on the equivalent of Ft. Sumpter.

Colorado not enforcing federal drug didn't involve Colorado firing on the equivalent of Ft. Sumpter.
    It easily could have. It was a risk colorado took.
    - Kim Kardashian

It easily could have. It was a risk colorado took.
    Nope. Not at all. You either don't understand what Colorado did WRT its drug laws or Civil War history or both.

Nope. Not at all. You either don't understand what Colorado did WRT its drug laws or Civil War history or both.
    Some sheriffs promised to defend their constituents - with force - should the Federal gov attempted to enforce drug laws.

The only reason blood wasnt spilled was because the FedGov calculated it wasnt worth it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Some sheriffs promised to defend their constituents - with force - should the Federal gov attempted to enforce drug laws.
    Well good for them. Totally unnecessary and not authorized by the action taken by the law that decriminalized marijuana in Colorado. That law only addressed Colorado marijuana statutes. It didn't address federal drug laws.

The only reason blood wasnt spilled was because the FedGov calculated it wasnt worth it.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=DEA+raid+colorado

Federal drug raids are still going on in Colorado.

Edit: And looking at the stories of federal drug raids in Colorado, so far I don't see any cases of sheriffs standing down the feds. I do see cases of sheriffs joining in and helping with some of the raids.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 06-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast