Thread: What happens now the UK has voted Brexit

What happens now the UK has voted Brexit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...t-brexit-is-a/

Triggering Article 50, formally notifying the intension to withdraw, starts a two-year clock running. After that, the Treaties that govern membership no longer apply to Britain. The terms of exit will be negotiated between Britain’s 27 counterparts, and each will have a veto over the conditions.

It will also be subject to ratification in national parliaments, meaning, for example, that Belgian MPs could stymie the entire process.

Two vast negotiating teams will be created, far larger than those seen in the British renegotiation. The EU side is likely to be headed by one of the current Commissioners.

Untying Britain from the old membership is the easy bit. Harder would be agreeing a new trading relationship, establishing what tariffs and other barriers to entry are permitted, and agreeing on obligations such as free movement. Such a process, EU leaders claim, could take another five years.

Business leaders want the easiest terms possible, to prevent economic harm. But political leaders say the conditions will be brutal to discourage other states from following suit.

The Department for Brexit

One option will be to simply recreate EU laws as British statute. But Civil Service insiders expect a new Brexit government to opt for something much more radical, and to use the opportunity of “throwing off the shackles” to re-regulate Britain.

It means that the Government would have to do three acts simultaneous: negotiate a new deal with Brussels, win a series of major bilateral trade deals around the world, and revise its own governance as EU law recedes.

Running the show would be an effective “Ministry for Brexit”, under a senior minister.

Officials expect the scrapping of EU law could result in an avalanche of new legislation in every corner of Whitehall – perhaps 25 Bills in every Queen’s Speech for a decade.

Hundreds of Treasury lawyers and experts would have to be hired for areas – such as health and safety, financial services and employment – where Britain had lost competence to Brussels. Meanwhile, a Trade Ministry will be required, with hundreds of new negotiators, to establish new deals around the world.
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Little bit of hype from the source there, huh, Zip?

While there certainly are strings (treaty obligations, to be clear) that come with entering into the EU, those strings are really just meant to make sure that upon secession, it doesn't affect others. So, then, if a nation decides to withdraw from the EU, that nation would have to negotiate the terms of that withdrawal for the purpose of a smooth transition. That's the nutshell. But, yeah. It'll be a prolonged process, for sure. Similar to the breakup of the old Soviet Union except with less drama.

Now...heh...where the sensationalism from this piece gets interesting (and we'll likely see many, many more arguments from adverse consequences, like the one that is offered here in the op, being made by varying media platforms moving forward) is that any negotiations on the terms of an exit from the EU will have to be made with those same unelected commissioners in Brussels. So, when we see arguments from adverse consequences becoming sensationalized by way of media, remember that this is the case. And likely the source(s) of that particular media narrative.

The propaganda machine is going to get busy as a mofo. And soon.

For the moment, I'm calling all talk and no action in terms of making conditions brutal. But we'll see. It really is important to consider that any negotions to actually exit will have to be made with those same unelected commissioners.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-24-2016 at 05:57 AM.

Yay for Britain. Great victory in the rejection of Multilateral institutions.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I can always count on Zip to throw a wet blanket over things.

This is a huge win for smaller, less centralized government and a major blow to the one world/one people crowd.

That the bureaucracy is in a kerfluffle is of no concern to me.

Well, I have to agree with PCR's take on all this.

The Brits need to get out, like yesterday. The longer they wait, the longer the globalists have to inflict pain on them and get the parliament to overturn the this referendum. He cites Ireland changing their vote as precedent.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Tear it down, all of it, including trumps wall.

“It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” -- Yogi Berra

When you engage in entangling alliances there will be knots to untie.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What happens now the UK has voted Brexit
    Answer: Grexit, Itexit, Frexit, Gexit, Spexit, Czexit, Pexit ...
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

If I were Russia, or China, I would be jumping at the bit to sign new deals with the world's 5th largest economy. Hell even some EU countries should be making some back channel calls. Now is their chance to get a piece of that Britain consumer pie without the EU's greedy hands clammoring for a piece.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    If I were Russia, or China, I would be jumping at the bit to sign new deals with the world's 5th largest economy. Hell even some EU countries should be making some back channel calls. Now is their chance to get a piece of that Britain consumer pie without the EU's greedy hands clammoring for a piece.
    It's still just a "desire" to leave by the people.

The overlords have polled the slaves. The slaves would like to leave.

The overlords are considering it. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    It's still just a "desire" to leave by the people.

The overlords have polled the slaves. The slaves would like to leave.

The overlords are considering it. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Answer: Grexit, Itexit, Frexit, Gexit, Spexit, Czexit, Pexit ...
    I sure hope NEXIT is NEXT.

But my prediction, having heard what the EU elites have said today is... The EU is going to fall apart on it's own anyway. The only thing these elites are interested in is complete integration and their dream is a USofEU, they won't stop so the people will stop them. This in turn will mean that the 'leftish' atmosphere that's in Europe will lose credibility and conservatism will probably gain some influence.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

But my prediction, having heard what the EU elites have said today is... The EU is going to fall apart on it's own anyway. The only thing these elites are interested in is complete integration and their dream is a USofEU, they won't stop so the people will stop them. This in turn will mean that the 'leftish' atmosphere that's in Europe will lose credibility and conservatism will probably gain some influence.
    Thanks for your report from the battleground.

Is the UK the only EU country to keep their own currency over the Euro or are there others?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Is the UK the only EU country to keep their own currency over the Euro or are there others?
    There are 28 states in the EU, 19 of which adopted a common currency, the euro, and they make up the eurozone.
    The other 9 are UK, Sweden, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czech, Croatia and Denmark.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

They are indeed next, the EU lied to Youth of Italy.

Stolen from a tweet:

Brexit. Grexit. Departugal. Italeave. Fruckoff. Czechout. Oustria. Finish. Slovakout. Latervia. Byegium.

Brexit is hard for me to believe. I feel TPTB probably could have prevented this had they really wanted to. Or stated alternatively, I feel TPTB game theorists perhaps either wanted to or allowed this to happen with some ulterior motive(s) in mind (e.g., create market volatility for profit/power grab/more QE, cover something up/distraction, drum up future war support, etc.).

I hate to be "that guy" but it is hard to take anything at face value anymore (thanks Ron). Then again, maybe it is exactly what it seems -- a win for freedom and independence.

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions on this?

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic