Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle Scope

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I suppose when it comes to glass, beyond clarity one of the things I am looking for is the reticle to zoom too, so the MOA dots are accurate.
    This is one of the reasons to get a first focal plane scope, instead of the much more common second focal plane scopes used for hunting, etc.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I can't say much about higher end scopes, but....

$#@!ing congratulations on the LMT308MWS!!!
    This.

LMT308MWS is the club I want to join. Way to go.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    I am not an expert, but the experts that I have listened to say the scope you want is a NightForce -- they are expensive (about $1,700+) but you get what you pay for. Optics are first rate, the scopes are really durable and hold their zero. Reports are you can take the scope off, beat someone over the head with it and it will still hold its zero.

Worth looking into...
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

I'd spend some time in the optics subforum at longrangehunting here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/

They also have a very healthy marketplace:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/

Also some keywords to look into:

Nightforce
    Leupold
    Zeiss
    US Optics
    Vortex
    USO
    Sightron
    Huskemaw
    IOR
    Badger Base
    Schmidt & Bender
    Swarovski
    Trijicon
    Meopta
    Khales
    ATACR
    Steiner
    Xtreme Spotting
    Bushnell Elite
    Weaver Tactical
    Burris
    Murphy Precision
    Swaro
    SWFA-HD

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I can verify that this thing totally lives up to it's reputation. I haven't picked a scope yet, so this is on irons at 100yd

Groups should have been smaller, but by glasses kept fogging up in the super hot humidity. When I put a legit optic on this thing, the groups will get significantly smaller. With quality glass I should be under an inch at 100 yd. This rifle is ridiculously insane. I can't wait to decide on an optic to mount on it.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I'd spend some time in the optics subforum at longrangehunting here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/

They also have a very healthy marketplace:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/

Also some keywords to look into:

Nightforce
    Leupold
    Zeiss
    US Optics
    Vortex
    USO
    Sightron
    Huskemaw
    IOR
    Badger Base
    Schmidt & Bender
    Swarovski
    Trijicon
    Meopta
    Khales
    ATACR
    Steiner
    Xtreme Spotting
    Bushnell Elite
    Weaver Tactical
    Burris
    Murphy Precision
    Swaro
    SWFA-HD
    Aye, I know Leupold was the king of scopes from the early 1960's through the early 2000's when they started getting real competition. Now, from what I understand every couple of years or so another brand dominates the ranks of competition shooters for a while and then another brand for another couple years and so on. I believe that free market competition has managed to improve the quality of ALL scopes as they vie for top ranking deployments for long range competitive shooters. From what I understand, Nightforce is dominating competitive shooting in 2016.

Welcome to the club!

I bought mine right after boot camp in 2011. Mine doesn't have the stainless barrel as I went with the chrome lines.

Granted I also put on eotech on it instead of long range optics... I wanted a close up barrier blind rifle.

You might want the luepold mk8.

I'd go with a first focal plane long range optic if I was you regardless if you want range.

Atn isn't that great and if shy away from digital stuff until you are talking nods. You could just join the night vision and thermal club!

Get an IR Hunter from IRD on the tnvc website and have some sweet thermal.

Can't really give advice as I don't own one, and my optics are limited to Trijicons as I know that EOTech just didn't do it for me.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Alright, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want, and when that happens it usually helps a lot to seek input from the community and tune my own preferences until I settle.

I just got a good deal on a LMT308MWS with a stainless barrel. This rifle is a 1000 yard shooter, but in order to take advantage of all that I need optics that can keep up with the rifle. Because this is a Ferarri of rifles, I'm pretty much decided that any scope under $500 is probably not going to keep up with the rifle.

Now, my plan was to go on and get a high quality no-power glass optic for between $500 to $800...probably somewhere around 5 to 20 mag, with (preferably) MOA reticle and adjustments; and then LATER save up for a low-light electronic scope that I can swap out for nighttime work.

Then I ran into this thing, $700 does both night and day; but it's electronic. Completely electronic, which yes gives me pause, reliability and all that, but I'm loving some of the other features like the ability to enter different ballistic tables for different rounds with different zeroes, and swap though those profiles when changing ammo.

This thing:

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-d...le-scope-5-20x

It seems to get mixed reviews. Most people love them, a small minority hate them, but most of the ones that hate them seem mollified when ATN swaps out their device for a new one.

Some of y'all have had gun money for longer than I have, and may have either experienced this crazy electronic scope, or have another idea of where I should go.

My primary consideration is that this thing does night vision; which I eventually want anyway. Maybe I can get a low tech glass optic later so I am prepared in case there is a zombie apocalypse and AA batteries are hard to come by...but thinking practically, this would give me both day and night out to 800-900 yards immediately for $700 and I can worry about a $500+ glass optic in another few months after I have installed a few more Google retail spaces for $3k a pop.

Any input on the linked scope, or any direction for a better direction to go in?

Other than grandpa's old .30-06 all my weapons are iron sights, so I do not have the direct experience with scopes that someone who shoots as much as I do normally would. However, it's kind of dumb to keep a 1000 yard .308 on irons, so optics are a must. No sense in paying an obscene amount of money for a 1000 yard shooter and then run sights on it that don't help past 500.

Anyone around with serious rifle optics expertise that can weigh in?

OK Gunny, firstly I will state that electronics take a fairly distant back seat to good optics. If this will be a primary weapon, I would go for pure optics and no electronics, unless the primary role of the weapon is night work.

There is a lot of good glass out there. Zeiss are perhaps tops from the pure optics standpoint. Their scopes tend to be less fancy. So long as one can put lead on target that is not an issue for me.

Night Force makes very fine optics, though not inexpensive. Oddly, I have a very plain Nikon on my M1A, and it is holding < 1/2 MOA @ 100 in an un-bedded gun with NM barrel and good trigger.

US Optics makes very good, but hellishly expensive glass. I do rue my decision to turn down their offer for an SN/9 for $4K. These are no longer made, AFAIK, and were very impressive with either an 80 or 100mm objective. Sight is a bit high over the bore-line, but the long distance advantages were high. No idea why they stopped making them.

As for your rifle, the AR10 may soon become a true 1000 yard gun when I finish my triggers for them. I have two designs on the board, each with its advantages, both with very low lock times. I hope to have the prototypes completed shortly.
    Last edited by osan; 08-30-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: What a difference one zero can make.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Aye, I know Leupold was the king of scopes from the early 1960's through the early 2000's when they started getting real competition. Now, from what I understand every couple of years or so another brand dominates the ranks of competition shooters for a while and then another brand for another couple years and so on. I believe that free market competition has managed to improve the quality of ALL scopes as they vie for top ranking deployments for long range competitive shooters. From what I understand, Nightforce is dominating competitive shooting in 2016.
    If you're ever in the south Alabama area, let me know. My father in law has a range for long distance shooting (about 1700 yards total), and I'd love to fire that weapon. Also, I'd be curious to see how much variance there was with shot groups compared to my Sig 716. Not saying one is better than the other, but rather that would be the ultimate standard to see how my 716 measured.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

And?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I'm building a LMT hybrid (Danl Dfnse full auto bolt carrier with billet Shreveport Tact lower) with M4 profile in FDE.

I like LWRC too, but it's way overpriced. I don't see their superior quality justifying that much of a price disparity on their competitors. You can buy a Larue custom for what you spend on a LWRC.

BTW I love the LWRC railskins. Firm, textured and aesthetically pleasing. I have them on many rifles.
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-03-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I'm building a LMT hybrid (Danl Dfnse full auto bolt carrier with billet Shreveport Tact lower) with M4 profile in FDE.

I like LWRC too, but it's way overpriced. I don't see their superior quality justifying that much of a price disparity on their competitors. You can buy a Larue custom for what you spend on a LWRC.

BTW I love the LWRC railskins. Firm, textured and aesthetically pleasing. I have them on many rifles.
    Finally put it together. LMT defender upper, but not on the level of Gunny's .308 spec, which appears to be a higher model than the standard. Though all LMT barrels are normally chrome-lined.

Last edited by AuH20; 03-23-2017 at 10:50 AM.

What's the operating weight on the rifle with scope and rings? 11 pounds or greater? .308s are typically heavier.

So Gunny, did you get a Nightforce scope for that rifle?
    https://www.amazon.com/NightForce-Pr...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    What's the operating weight on the rifle with scope and rings? 11 pounds or greater? .308s are typically heavier.
    This one is heavier still, considering I am running the stainless barrel. The LM308MWSF is 10.2 lb empty without a scope. I took the BUIS off since they impinge the scope. Subtract the BUIS and add the scope we are looking maybe 10.6 to 10.7 lb?

I have been in a thousand places in a million directions especially recently; I will add more to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So Gunny, did you get a Nightforce scope for that rifle?
    https://www.amazon.com/NightForce-Pr...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    I ended up with a Sightron SIII SS6 24X50 LR FFP/MOA Magnification: 6-24, Object Diameter: 50mm,Tube Diameter: 30mm, MOA-2 Reticle First Focal Plane. Weighs 24.3 oz

https://sightronusa.com/index.php/pr...24x50lrffpmoa/

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I ended up with a Sightron SIII SS6 24X50 LR FFP/MOA Magnification: 6-24, Object Diameter: 50mm,Tube Diameter: 30mm, MOA-2 Reticle First Focal Plane. Weighs 24.3 oz

https://sightronusa.com/index.php/pr...24x50lrffpmoa/
    Please let us know how it works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12