Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $6 Grocery Wine Among the Best in the World

meh

plebians love fanta soda, velveeta cheese, and mcdonalds burgers in taste tests too

“The perception is that you’re drinking fermented grape juice.
    And the reality is, that’s not exactly the truth,”
    “When you drink a glass of wine,
    especially a relatively inexpensive wine,
    you’re drinking a huge array of compounds and chemicals that you have no idea are present in the wine,”
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/02/...-be-surprised/

I have little doubt this "wine" is full of additives, synthetic flavor enhancers, and process chemicals; that's the whole industry of "cheap wine".

I'll brew my own from fresh fruit in glass jugs or choose a recognized biodynamic wine thank you.

If its cheaply made it doesn't matter if it tastes great
    Last edited by presence; 06-19-2016 at 10:06 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    1977 Mad Dog 20/20 ruined my relationship with grapes........
    not the grapes.
    it's the formaldehyde.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    not the grapes.
    it's the formaldehyde.
    exactly

I'd take quality home brew moonshine over labelled and "taste test approved" bottom shelf booze any day.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Barefoot merlot is pretty decent and cheap. IMO
    I'm more of a Moscato lover. Barefoot is awesome. Franzia would be next to that.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

eh I use some cheap wine to cook with. I know that's a big fat no-no but other than marsala, I just don't use enough to justify having a nice bottle around, and I'm never going to have a glass on its own.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    The only Malbec I've ever had is called Menage a Trois Malbec.
    Color me surprised.

I'm pretty partial to Riunite Rosato, wine-wise.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=riunite+rosato

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I'm pretty partial to Riunite Rosato, wine-wise.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=riunite+rosato
    So nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

One's a wine, one's a beer. If someone asks if I want a Menage a Trois, neither come to mind and I've had the wine.

Sutter Home sues Shmaltz Brewing over 'Menage a Trois' trademark

Shmaltz Brewing Co says some of its beer names, including several with Jewish themes, "can be a bit unorthodox." Now a large California winery wants one of those names to be reformed.

Sutter Home Winery Inc sued Shmaltz late on Monday, accusing the brewery of infringing its "Menage a Trois" trademark by selling a 12-pack of its beers with the "MANNAge a Trois" name.

Shmaltz, whose beers include the He'Brew line, uses MANNAge a Trois for the sale of its Hop Manna, Hop Mania and Hop Momma India pale ales.

But Sutter Home, perhaps best known for its white zinfandel, called the name "confusingly similar" to Menage a Trois, which it said it began using in 1997 and trademarked in 2006.

Sutter Home said it has sold more than $1 billion of Menage a Trois red, white, rose and sparkling wine since 2009, including over 32 million bottles worth in excess of $193 million last year, and spends millions to promote it.

"Plaintiff owns extremely valuable goodwill in its Menage a Trois mark and the mark has extraordinary financial value," and Shmaltz should not "unjustly benefit from such association," Sutter Home said in its complaint.

The lawsuit seeks triple and punitive damages, and a name change. It was filed in San Francisco federal court.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sutter-ho...1--sector.html
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Didn't realize Sutter Home was behind Menage a Trois wines. Thought it was Gallo. The ones I have had are good- I see they now seem to have like a half dozen different ones. Used to be just one red and one white. Website shows 16 different ones! http://www.menageatroiswines.com/california-red-wine

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Didn't realize Sutter Home was behind Menage a Trois wines. Thought it was Gallo. The ones I have had are good- I see they now seem to have like a half dozen different ones. Used to be just one red and one white. Website shows 16 different ones! http://www.menageatroiswines.com/california-red-wine
    I like it. I give them as hostess gifts. They're a good icebreaker at parties. Next time you go to a party, take a bottle of Menage a Trois and people will talk to you, I promise.

Pacific rim organic resiling is the best. A little pricy at $12-$14 but SO worth it. And did I mention, it's ORGANIC.

Eight dollars a bottle is a little rich for my blood but their cheap wine is good. I really like the $3 Winking Owl at Aldi's.

Aldi’s $8 bottle of wine named one of the best in the world

Discount grocer Aldi recently scored a Great Value Award from the International Wine Challenge, with its Exquisite Collection Cotes de Provence Rosé — an $8 bottle of wine — ranked as one of the top wines in the world!

Aldi also recently won “Product of the Year” for its $12.99 Broken Clouds Pinot Noir, based on a survey of consumers conducted by global research agency Kantar TNS.

http://clark.com/shopping-retail/foo...-in-the-world/

We really like 'Josh Cellars'. Just paired a Chardonnay with a Chanterelle and noodle plate. I think it @ $12. $10 on sale.

Last edited by phill4paul; 08-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    We really like 'Josh Cellars'. Just paired a Chardonnay with a Chanterelle and noodle plate. I think it @ $12. $10 on sale.
    HA! I love Josh wine. Mr A got a free case at the bar and brought it home. We were pleasantly surprised. He doesn't normally even drink wine but he liked that brand. We had the Cabernet but I might spring for a bottle of another flavor.

HA! I love Josh wine. Mr A got a free case at the bar and brought it home. We were pleasantly surprised. He doesn't normally even drink wine but he liked that brand. We had the Cabernet but I might spring for a bottle of another flavor.
    Wait a minute. Since Mr Animal has a bar, how come you don't drink expensive stuff? Why haven't I thought to ask that before....
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Wait a minute. Since Mr Animal has a bar, how come you don't drink expensive stuff? Why haven't I thought to ask that before....
    Oh, we have lots of expensive booze but he doesn't sell much wine so he only buys cheap wine for the bar. Believe it or not, I rarely drink liquor. As a matter of fact, he just cleaned out a bunch of stuff (candy flavored vodkas) he brought home for me to make room for more fancy scotches.

Oh. That makes sense, I knew you mostly just drank cheap wine. Heads up to @timosman on the latest installment of his favorite show. #MrAnimal
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Well. Heh. I've never heard of this stuff, but, I've had a date or three with some fruity tasting Mad Dog 20/20 and Boone's Farm back in the day. Phhhht. That stuff will put a supersized S on a feller's chest, for sure. Once, at night time, I waited on the train tracks crossing the Susquehanna river there next to the 95 bridge and when the Amtrak came, I dropped down and held on while the train passed overhead. Just hanging over the river. It was freaking high, too. That's scary stuff to think about now almost 30 years later.
    Mad Dog 20/20, makes my mouth water every time I hear the name...... acid reflux!
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Oh. That makes sense, I knew you mostly just drank cheap wine. Heads up to @timosman on the latest installment of his favorite show. #MrAnimal
    Yeah, unless he gets free wine (which he doesn't every often because he doesn't buy a lot - you generally get freebies when you buy a lot) I'm not really interested. And the wine he gets costs about $3.00 a bottle so I might as well buy what I like.

Yes, I'm sure timosemen will be happy to get his Mr A fix.

Yeah, unless he gets free wine (which he doesn't every often because he doesn't buy a lot - you generally get freebies when you buy a lot) I'm not really interested. And the wine he gets costs about $3.00 a bottle so I might as well buy what I like.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/the_s...en_go_barefoot
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12