Thread: NH Gov. Hassan Says She Supports Assault Weapons Ban

NH Gov. Hassan Says She Supports Assault Weapons Ban

New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan, who's running against incumbent Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte, said Wednesday she would support an "appropriate, fair assault weapons ban."

Hassan's comments come in the wake of the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla., on Sunday, in which a gunman, armed with an AR-15 rifle and a handgun, killed 49 people before police killed him.

Asked by NH1's Paul Steinhauser on Tuesday if she would support reinstating a ban on assault weapons, Hassan said, "I certainly think that we can take steps to prevent this kind of weapon, that is designed to create mass casualties from getting into the hands of the wrong people while still protecting the Second Amendment rights of the people of New Hampshire and making sure that we're protecting the ownership and use of legitimate hunting rifles."
    On Wednesday, Aaron Jacobs, Hassan campaign communications director, clarified those comments.

“As the Governor stated yesterday, she supports a ban on these types of dangerous assault weapons that have made it far too easy for dangerous individuals to inflict large numbers of casualties," he wrote in an email. "She believes this can be done while still allowing the use of legitimate hunting rifles."

When Steinhauser first asked if Hassan agreed with President Barack Obama and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton about reinstating the ban, Hassan offered her condolences to the victims of the Orlando shootings and talked about standing with the LGBT community and defeating terrorism.

"I think it is really critically important that we consider the fact that this murderer got a weapon of mass destruction that caused mass casualties even though he was known to the FBI as a suspected terrorist," Hassan said.

"And it is time for the Senate, I am very disappointed that the Senate, including Senator Ayotte, who had the chance to close a critical loophole, that might have prevented him from getting this gun, they failed to do that in December," Hassan said.

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politic....RorpH7me.dpuf
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "She believes this can be done while still allowing the use of legitimate hunting rifles."
    Maggie you ignorant $#@!!

The second amendment was penned to assure that the citizenry could outgun the government.

You and your cohorts have already granted government fully automatic weaponry while limiting availability to the citizenry and for that you should be flayed but this! This assertion that weapons are for hunting, this is insane!

The right to self-defense is an inalienable human right. Period.

As soon as a government dictates the terms of the level of self-defense one can use, it is no longer a right, but a privilege. "The English don't let us train with swords, so we use stones."

I hope I can one day live to see these type of people tried for human rights violations.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

The federal government supports the 2nd amendment.

For the Syrian rebels.

Just not for you.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    The federal government supports the 2nd amendment.

For the Syrian rebels.

Just not for you.
    And ISIS.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Well, Ayotte is seen as vulnerable here, so this makes sense to take this stance.

Duh... she veteod the 2nd Amendment last year (ConCarry)
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The troops may not be very happy about her opinion.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan, who's running against incumbent Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte..."

Huh?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Well, there's you "Free State".

Fidupulating nonsense.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

we all are being hit by a ban on several of those types
    of assault weapons down here in taxachusetts. today...
    Last edited by Aratus; 07-20-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Well, there's you "Free State".

Fidupulating nonsense.
    New Hampshire arguably has the least restrictive weapons laws in the nation. This isn't a state issue. She is running for the United States Senate so she took this position very recently, in a heated campaign, as a way to get elected to the federal government. Of course, we know the United States isn't a Free State. That's why the Free State Project was created in the first place

What the Free State Project Is

The Free State Project is an effort to recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire. We are looking for neighborly, productive, tolerant folks from any and all walks of life, of all ages, creeds, and colors, who agree to the political philosophy expressed in our Statement of Intent, that government exists at most to protect people's rights, and should neither provide for people nor punish them for activities that interfere with no one else.
    https://freestateproject.org/about
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    "New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan, who's running against incumbent Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte..."

Huh?
    I am hard pressed to decide which one of these two broads are more worthless.

NH's federal representation is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Huh?
    Yeah , evil Dem Gov wants senate pension.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    New Hampshire arguably has the least restrictive weapons laws in the nation.
    It is clear you have never been to West Virginia.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    It is clear you have never been to West Virginia.
    Of course I have been to that state. It is a very pretty, but slightly expensive state to drive through. I now try to avoid it and the backwards laws that exist there. It is the exact opposite of personal freedom. Perhaps where freedom goes to die?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Of course I have been to that state. It is a very pretty, but slightly expensive state to drive through. I now try to avoid it and the backwards laws that exist there. It is the exact opposite of personal freedom. Perhaps where freedom goes to die?

Examples?

Have you never driven though the state expecting to save 45 minutes but ending up with a $2 toll?

More importantly, poor economy, the worst drug abuse in the nation, and very low on the freedom scale. Don't get me wrong, I get that WV is coming out of decades of complete Democrat Party rule, but it is still by far one of the least free places in the nation. Give the GOP 10 years and maybe they can turn it around?
    http://www.freedominthe50states.org/.../west-virginia

26 overdoses reported Monday evening in 1 WV city
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...0f35c5cbf.html

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I am hard pressed to decide which one of these two broads are more worthless.

NH's federal representation is awful.
    Now it's a quad-fecta of awfulness.

She's your problem now AmeriKa.

Not that Ayotte was much better.

Pretty much a sure thing that she lost due to her wishy washy weakness on gun rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Now it's a quad-fecta of awfulness.

She's your problem now AmeriKa.

Not that Ayotte was much better.

Pretty much a sure thing that she lost due to her wishy washy weakness on gun rights.
    Or not supporting Trump.

Either way, New Hampshire will soon have a Republican governor. If the NH House and NH Senate pass the same true Constitutional Carry bill that they passed in 2015 and 2016 (both vetoed by Gov. Hassan), NH will have the least bad gun laws in the nation. I know I'm going to go and testify in Concord