Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Attractive hazard" [Orlando Gator attack]

"Attractive hazard" [Orlando Gator attack]

Is a term I'm familiar with because my little niece (years ago) was hurt on some construction equipment left unattended and unfenced. It was deemed an "attractive hazard" but no judgment was won because it was a township government who was the defendant.

This alligator nightmare at Disney is an attractive hazard if ever there was one. They created well groomed, sandy beaches with chaise lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas and a movie screen on the shore of the habitat of apex predators. People from all over the world go to that overpriced playground and have no idea that all fresh water in Florida has alligators. Disney had " no swimming" signs but no "DANGER ALLIGATORS - STAY AWAY FROM WATER" signs. I'm guessing that's because such warnings might hurt business. The little boy was simply wading (not swimming) with his poor parents unaware of what was in the "Seven Seas Lagoon". Their grief must be unimaginable

This makes me sick that Disney (who I can't stand) lured the unsuspecting to a freaking gator swamp by putting a beach there. These poor people will get HUGE money from Disney but lost their baby in the most awful way and it was completely avoidable. I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner but it was bound to happen.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know maybe there should be better warnings. But I have been to Orlando many times and I always keep my distance from ponds and a good eye on them.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I do not hang out in gator waters without a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I do not hang out in gator waters without a weapon.
    Are you allowed to travel that far south?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I don't know maybe there should be better warnings. But I have been to Orlando many times and I always keep my distance from ponds and a good eye on them.
    If Vero Man was around he could show you how to hunt Cave Bear and Gator.

Are you allowed to travel that far south?
    Only on vacation. I was fishing in Mississippi in a bayou once , gator that kept cruising by the boat I would estimate at 16 feet. I feed it some marshmallows. They like them for some reason.

Kid did it to himself.

So sad. I agree. Disney should do more to warn guests about the gators. I used to go a lot when my kids were little and it never occurred to me to look out for gators around a theme park. I had a too close for comfort encounter with them a few times visiting my brother. He lives on a canal and I would take my coffee outside in the wee hours of the morning so I didn't wake anyone else up and decided to take a walk around the yard when I heard something going into the water about 10 ft from me - it was a frickin' gator. I didn't even notice it. I was too busy watching the neighbors across the canal getting ready for work. It was still a bit dark outside and I could see right into their house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Look I know it's a horrible situation. This one little boy's death haunts me so much more so than all of the people killed in the nightclub. The innocence of him is heartbreaking. The helplessness I feel is real.

But let's not get all emotional and start blaming people that are not responsible. Disney didn't put the gators in the lakes. It is pretty common knowledge that the gators are everywhere in Florida. There are over a million in Florida, despite being listed as endangered for some reason. They go where they please and are opportunistic eaters.

This kid was a tasty treat for a hungry gator. Disney has no liability because they didn't make the kid get in the water at 9:20pm. I don't want to blame the parents but ultimately that's where the responsibility is.

My heart goes out to them
    No - No - No - No

I don't know maybe there should be better warnings.
    a lot of folks bought swampland in Florida.

They are just reaping their investment.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Jeez. I feel for them, but at what point does common sense come into play? How many signs are needed?

Warning: All non-saltwater areas large enough to hold an alligator in Florida may contain an alligator (including chlorinated water). By the way, this is the season they are usually nesting. Oh and they tend to feed during the dark hours.
    Warning: Leeches, snakes, snapping turtles, mosquitoes, ticks, geese, ducks, raccoons, spiders, frogs, lizards, and any number of other wild creatures are also going to be there. They're not friendly, either.
    Warning: Do not drink the lagoon water.
    Warning: Do not set up toddler play pens close to the water.
    Warning: Since we actively advertise bass fishing as an option, consider that there might be both creatures the bass eat, and that eat the bass.

Can we also make sure this is translated in multiple languages, since there are numerous international tourists?

This can go right up next to the warnings about areas around the pool being wet, which do exist.

It's sad that these people didn't know, and yeah Disney is going to pay out the nose, but it's interesting that plenty on these boards have griped about how no one exercises common sense and that there has to be a warning for absolutely everything.

ETA: You can Google Earth that "attractive" beach, with the murky swampwater walled in by rocks. It looks like the edge of any of those lakes at Sea World, Epcot, Disney, etc. where they set up fireworks and boat shows --- which is precisely what the hotel cautions you the water is for. I guess they need to put THAT warning outside and in plain view as well.
    Last edited by MelissaWV; 06-15-2016 at 07:24 PM.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    People from all over the world go to that overpriced playground and have no idea that all fresh water in Florida has alligators.
    Brackish water as well.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I'm in travel and tourism. It is impossible to put up enough warnings to make people have common sense. A two year-old can't read. Who was holding the child's hand? What were the parents doing? I would be willing to lay odds that one parent was taking pictures or video of the child. Just like the kid who fell in the bear thing in Cincinnatti. At what point do walls and encosures not mean something to a four year-old?

My job has a safety component. I can't count the times I have had to ask a parent to stop their child from doing something that is totally unsafe. We ask people do to something for a reason. We don't get our jollies bossing people around. We want to entertain them, but they really make it hard.

This past week we were visiting our kiddo and grandkiddos. We went to a place where there are valuable collections. There are alarms and instructions not to touch or sit on the furniture. We didn't. It was on a bay. The sign said, "No Wading or Collecting." So guess what? We didn't do it. The two year-old was in a stroller, then held by her dad. I had the 7 year-old. Husband had the 4 year old, and dd had the 9 year-old. That's how you keep your kids under control.

Take one picture, then enjoy the attraction. How many pictures of the child do you need? Parents miss a lot of face time with their kids when they interact with them through the lens of a camera. In the time it takes to snap a picture and post it on FB, the child can die. Save the free ranging for home.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-15-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Jeez. I feel for them, but at what point does common sense come into play? How many signs are needed?

Warning: All non-saltwater areas large enough to hold an alligator in Florida may contain an alligator (including chlorinated water). By the way, this is the season they are usually nesting. Oh and they tend to feed during the dark hours.
    Warning: Leeches, snakes, snapping turtles, mosquitoes, ticks, geese, ducks, raccoons, spiders, frogs, lizards, and any number of other wild creatures are also going to be there. They're not friendly, either.
    Warning: Since we actively advertise bass fishing as an option, consider that there might be both creatures the bass eat, and that eat the bass.

Can we also make sure this is translated in multiple languages, since there are numerous international tourists?

This can go right up next to the warnings about areas around the pool being wet, which do exist.

It's sad that these people didn't know, and yeah Disney is going to pay out the nose, but it's interesting that plenty on these boards have griped about how no one exercises common sense and that there has to be a warning for absolutely everything.

ETA: You can Google Earth that "attractive" beach, with the murky swampwater walled in by rocks. It looks like the edge of any of those lakes at Sea World, Epcot, Disney, etc. where they set up fireworks and boat shows --- which is precisely what the hotel cautions you the water is for. I guess they need to put THAT warning outside and in plain view as well.
    I think it's a bad idea for Disney not to put up gator signs. From a liability and a public relations standpoint, it just seems odd that they knew they were in the water (yes, I know everyone in FL knows that but people from all over the world go there and just don't think about it - especially on vacation in the middle of a resort) and don't have a sign posted - they have no swimming signs, it just seems odd that they wouldn't add GATORS! to it.

Here's a photo of the beach at the Grand Floridan where the boy was killed. Looks pretty nice to me.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

This is so sad. I thought this thread would be about Daisy Duke.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    This is so sad. I thought this thread would be about Daisy Duke.
    I thought it was going to be about a good looking tranny.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    So sad. I agree. Disney should do more to warn guests about the gators. I used to go a lot when my kids were little and it never occurred to me to look out for gators around a theme park. I had a too close for comfort encounter with them a few times visiting my brother. He lives on a canal and I would take my coffee outside in the wee hours of the morning so I didn't wake anyone else up and decided to take a walk around the yard when I heard something going into the water about 10 ft from me - it was a frickin' gator. I didn't even notice it. I was too busy watching the neighbors across the canal getting ready for work. It was still a bit dark outside and I could see right into their house.
    There are somethings not even a gator will eat.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

There are somethings not even a gator will eat.
    I see you made it out alive, too.

I thought it was going to be about a good looking tranny.

And of course none of the Disney resorts in Florida have gator-free, lifeguard-staffed swimming pools.

I'm sorrier than I know how to be about the death of this child. It breaks my heart. I would never dream of shaming the parents or anyone around. It's just too sad. Nature is a powerful force. People should respect it.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-15-2016 at 08:23 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I think parents going to Florida should be required to attend a Gator Wrestling Course.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I see you made it out alive, too.
    I don't go looking for trouble and flaunting my wares...like some.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

There's no way in hell I would live near any fresh water in Florida. I'm always amazed at of the communities on lakes. Who wants to live on a lake full of alligators? Not me! Then again, I live in Michigan with lots of lakes, including the Great Lakes and I see water and it means swimming to me. I guess millions of people are content to be by water that's full of dangerous prehistoric reptiles.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Look I know it's a horrible situation. This one little boy's death haunts me so much more so than all of the people killed in the nightclub. The innocence of him is heartbreaking. The helplessness I feel is real.

But let's not get all emotional and start blaming people that are not responsible. Disney didn't put the gators in the lakes. It is pretty common knowledge that the gators are everywhere in Florida. There are over a million in Florida, despite being listed as endangered for some reason. They go where they please and are opportunistic eaters.

This kid was a tasty treat for a hungry gator. Disney has no liability because they didn't make the kid get in the water at 9:20pm. I don't want to blame the parents but ultimately that's where the responsibility is.

My heart goes out to them
    I'm not emotional and hell yes Disney is responsible. It's their property, they put in that lagoon which connects to a bigger, natural lake, full of gators, and then put a pretty beach to entice the guests to the water's edge without warning people what lives in there. While a lot of people are aware that all fresh water down there is gator habitat, a lot of other people have no clue. The parents must have been right there because as soon as the gator snatched the boy the dad tried to wrestle it to free his son.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post

I don't know what the term is for when someone responds by replying with an extreme and absurd exaggeration, generalizing the original and singular issue to EVERYTHING but you just did that.

They put a man made beach, with chairs to invite the guests to lounge there, on a man made lagoon and didn't bother to inform the guests that alligators live in that water. It is not nanny state type hysteria to warn the unsuspecting, especially with little kids all over the place. There were no rocks or barrier where he waded to the waters edge.

I can see that beach is gonna be a problem with tourists .

where the boy was killed.
    I think we need more signage.

With more signs, this awful tragedy could have been averted.

I will write my congressmen immediately.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    I don't know what the term is for when someone responds by replying with an extreme and absurd exaggeration, generalizing the original and singular issue to EVERYTHING but you just did that.

They put a man made beach, with chairs to invite the guests to lounge there, on a man made lagoon and didn't bother to inform the guests that alligators live in that water. It is not nanny state type hysteria to warn the unsuspecting, especially with little kids all over the place. There were no rocks or barrier where he waded to the waters edge.

Yes,

who could possibly guess

that there would be alligators

in Florida,,

they need to be sued
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Yes,

who could possibly guess

in Florida,,

they need to be sued
    A family from Nebraska which doesn't have alligators and didn't realize that they're all over the place in Florida, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Yes,

who could possibly guess

in Florida,,

they need to be sued
    Indeed! Make the beaches Safe and Great(TM) again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast