Thread: Man pays $5,734 property taxes with $1 bills

Man pays $5,734 property taxes with $1 bills

So sad.

Dan R. Aylward walked into the county treasurer’s office with a large black suitcase.

It was stuffed with 5,734 dollar bills - the first portion of his property taxes.

“I will do this every year until my last breath,” Aylward told the Northwest Herald. “(Raising property taxes) is wrong, it’s evil, and it’s got to stop.”

Aylward, 67, is protesting his increasing property tax bill and plans to do this again when the next installment is due Sept. 13, according to the Northwest Herald.

The property tax on the 1911 house his great-uncle built was $9,609.36 in 2010. It is now $11,468.36, according to the Northwest Herald.

His children will not be able to live in the house because they can’t afford to.

“I am either going to be forced to sell it and move out of the state or stay and lose it because of the taxes,” he told the Northwest Herald.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/nationa...1-bills/nrgDM/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    God wouldn't it be grand if there ever was a place with no property tax.... closest thing to freedom this side of the dirt
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    God wouldn't it be grand if there ever was a place with no property tax.... closest thing to freedom this side of the dirt
    Monaco.

Where is that ? Woodstock , Illinois ? I guess about all he could do is sell it and move 100 miles South East and buy something where the property tax will be about 800 a yr. in Northern In.
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-14-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Where is that ? Woodstock , Illinois ? I guess about all he could do is sell it and move 100 miles South East and buy something where the property tax will be about 800 a yr. in Northern In.
    Yes, Illinois. It was in the AJC and we have a Woodstock GA - I thought it was here.

Woodstock, Il

I mentioned this to Mr Animal and he pointed out the bar pays $37,000.00 a year in property taxes alone.
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 06-14-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Woodstock, GA
    Good Lord , what is the assessed percentage there ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Good Lord , what is the assessed percentage there ?
    I was wrong. Edited my post.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    There are places with little to none. But they're usually out in the sticks.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $15.00 day property tax!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    $15.00 day property tax!
    Add Obamacare to get a better picture.

If this guy decides to sell and move across the state line let me know . I will kick in a few bucks towards gas and a rental truck .