Why Walter Jones is my favorite congressman

Reid Smith
June 8, 2016 6:13 pm

On Tuesday, June 7, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC, 3rd) trounced his competition to win reelection in North Carolina’s third Congressional district. I was delighted with the result so let’s get this out of the way…

Full disclosure: Walter Jones is my favorite member of Congress. Full stop. I recognize there isn’t a lot of competition, but I regularly donate to his cause whenever I feel compelled by world events or a couple beers. To the best of my knowledge, he’s the only candidate I contributed to in any recent election cycle.

In a town long on politics and short on principle, it feels good to support a man of such extraordinary conviction. I certainly don’t agree with him on everything—I’m neither conservative nor Republican—but the good-natured contrarian in me adores his maverick streak and longstanding reputation as one of the kindest members of the House.

But what I really appreciate about Jones is his uncommon ability to admit when he’s wrong. As Jim Antle recalls in a superb 2014 piece anointing Jones the conscience of conservatism:

read more:
http://rare.us/story/why-walter-jone...e-congressman/