Thread: The sin of not voting – and why so many people commit it

The sin of not voting – and why so many people commit it

We all know we should do it. It's our right and our responsibility; people fought and died to enable it. It's the clearest hallmark of a free and democratic society, a key delineator of adulthood and the mechanism by which we prevent the wrong people from having power over us.

Yet every time there's an election in the US or the UK, voter turnout statistics tell us that it's a right many people choose not to assert. In the UK a third of the voting population didn't participate in the 2015 general election, while in the USA the picture was even worse, with only 54.9 per cent voting in the 2012 Presidential contest. The numbers are invariably much lower for elections of relatively lesser importance, such as local or European votes; the last UK-wide referendum (over the voting system) drew just 41 per cent of voters out to the polls.

Voting involves two fairly straightforward steps; filling out a simple form to register, and then taking a short walk or drive to a local polling station to actually 'x' the relevant box. In most cases the whole process takes less than an hour out of our lives. It's a relatively tiny amount of time, reduced even further by the postal voting system, introduced to widen access to those with mobility issues or insanely busy lives. It's remarkably easy; still those turnout figures persist. We're able to vote, we all subscribe to the idea that we should have and use a vote, and yet a vast percentage of us simply don't bother. Why?

When Britain votes to either leave or remain in the EU later this month, millions of the country's residents will be kicking themselves for choosing one more Netflix episode over a stroll to the local church hall. And of course we all know this, even as we're allowing it to be true of us. Such is the flakey, apathetic, and often downright irresponsible nature of our culture, we simply drift into not voting. And terrifyingly, that could be what happens: we'll just drift in or out of Europe; America will drift into a Presidential choice it could regret for a decade.

For Christians, voter apathy is perhaps a more serious business that we imagine. The Bible is clear that Christians should participate in the processes that govern their land, from Jesus' assertion to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" (various, inc Matthew 22:21) to Paul's command to pray "for Kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all Godliness and holiness" (1 Timothy 2:2). The second part of Paul's instruction there is very telling: the motivation for our prayers should be the vision of a successful and peaceful society, and one in which the Christian faith is allowed to thrive.

Yet what does it communicate to God if we pray for such a thing, yet don't vote for it? I'd argue that voting is a very practical way of bringing that prayer to life, a kind of democracy-focussed version of Pope Francis's great statement that "you pray for the hungry, then you feed them; this is how prayer works".

By contrast, not voting could actually be considered an abdication of that responsibility and command, a telling lack of self-discipline which belies our selfishness and lack of true concern for the society around us. Simply put, not bothering to show up and vote is a very modern indication of that ancient problem: the sinful nature.

Of course, there are many for whom conscience simply doesn't allow them to vote for any of the candidates, parties or options on offer. In these instances, there's almost always a Third Way; an option to proactively abstain or spoil a ballot paper. At least by doing this, we have participated in democracy; we've earned the right to complain and protest if the eventual result proves to be a bad choice.

One final thought: imagine if you couldn't vote. We're incredibly fortunate to be in the position where we have the ability to choose whether we bother to participate in a democratic election if not. For millions of people around the world, the idea that we have such a right and choose not to use it must be horribly offensive. Yet in a culture of entitlement, millions of us can't be bothered to exercise a right that some in other countries (and many through history) have died for. In that context, voter turnout figures shame us all.

On both sides of the Atlantic the coming elections have precipitated a mighty tidal wave of opinion pieces, social media arguments, TV debates and radio phone-ins, to the point where we start to become desensitised; we even start to become bored. We must resist apathy around democracy; it's simply too important, and in both cases, the potential results are too significant. If our nations make a terrible decision on their respective election days, let it not be because they sleep-walked into it; let it not be because people like us simply didn't bother to show up.
    http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...t.it/87958.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We all know we should do it. It's our right and our responsibility; people fought and died to enable it. It's the clearest hallmark of a free and democratic society, a key delineator of adulthood and the mechanism by which we prevent the wrong people from having power over us.

Yet every time there's an election in the US or the UK, voter turnout statistics tell us that it's a right many people choose not to assert. In the UK a third of the voting population didn't participate in the 2015 general election, while in the USA the picture was even worse, with only 54.9 per cent voting in the 2012 Presidential contest. The numbers are invariably much lower for elections of relatively lesser importance, such as local or European votes; the last UK-wide referendum (over the voting system) drew just 41 per cent of voters out to the polls.

Voting involves two fairly straightforward steps; filling out a simple form to register, and then taking a short walk or drive to a local polling station to actually 'x' the relevant box. In most cases the whole process takes less than an hour out of our lives. It's a relatively tiny amount of time, reduced even further by the postal voting system, introduced to widen access to those with mobility issues or insanely busy lives. It's remarkably easy; still those turnout figures persist. We're able to vote, we all subscribe to the idea that we should have and use a vote, and yet a vast percentage of us simply don't bother. Why?

When Britain votes to either leave or remain in the EU later this month, millions of the country's residents will be kicking themselves for choosing one more Netflix episode over a stroll to the local church hall. And of course we all know this, even as we're allowing it to be true of us. Such is the flakey, apathetic, and often downright irresponsible nature of our culture, we simply drift into not voting. And terrifyingly, that could be what happens: we'll just drift in or out of Europe; America will drift into a Presidential choice it could regret for a decade.

For Christians, voter apathy is perhaps a more serious business that we imagine. The Bible is clear that Christians should participate in the processes that govern their land, from Jesus' assertion to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" (various, inc Matthew 22:21) to Paul's command to pray "for Kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all Godliness and holiness" (1 Timothy 2:2). The second part of Paul's instruction there is very telling: the motivation for our prayers should be the vision of a successful and peaceful society, and one in which the Christian faith is allowed to thrive.

Yet what does it communicate to God if we pray for such a thing, yet don't vote for it? I'd argue that voting is a very practical way of bringing that prayer to life, a kind of democracy-focussed version of Pope Francis's great statement that "you pray for the hungry, then you feed them; this is how prayer works".

By contrast, not voting could actually be considered an abdication of that responsibility and command, a telling lack of self-discipline which belies our selfishness and lack of true concern for the society around us. Simply put, not bothering to show up and vote is a very modern indication of that ancient problem: the sinful nature.

Of course, there are many for whom conscience simply doesn't allow them to vote for any of the candidates, parties or options on offer. In these instances, there's almost always a Third Way; an option to proactively abstain or spoil a ballot paper. At least by doing this, we have participated in democracy; we've earned the right to complain and protest if the eventual result proves to be a bad choice.

One final thought: imagine if you couldn't vote. We're incredibly fortunate to be in the position where we have the ability to choose whether we bother to participate in a democratic election if not. For millions of people around the world, the idea that we have such a right and choose not to use it must be horribly offensive. Yet in a culture of entitlement, millions of us can't be bothered to exercise a right that some in other countries (and many through history) have died for. In that context, voter turnout figures shame us all.

On both sides of the Atlantic the coming elections have precipitated a mighty tidal wave of opinion pieces, social media arguments, TV debates and radio phone-ins, to the point where we start to become desensitised; we even start to become bored. We must resist apathy around democracy; it's simply too important, and in both cases, the potential results are too significant. If our nations make a terrible decision on their respective election days, let it not be because they sleep-walked into it; let it not be because people like us simply didn't bother to show up.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Just remember, if you do vote, you can't complain.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Just remember, if you do vote, you can't complain.
    Sinner!
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

You're the finest American I know, Texan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

Who would Jesus vote for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    His Father.
    There is no spoon.

WWJV

https://www.google.com/search?source...7j0l2.6895j0j7

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    His Father.
    A write in?

"Jesus" and "Trump" are both 5 letters long

It can't be a coincidence
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

LMFAO@thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I no comprende...there was no such thing as voting anywhere in the world when the gospels and epistles were written. Illogical writing is illogical...
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I no comprende...there was no such thing as voting anywhere in the world when the gospels and epistles were written. Illogical writing is illogical...
    HB34 you have a sinful nature, I suspect.

Simply put, not bothering to show up and vote is a very modern indication of that ancient problem: the sinful nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    HB34 you have a sinful nature, I suspect.
    Yeah, but I go to church and confession. Pretty sure I'm okay. You too have a sinful nature...and I like it!

I guess I'm going to hell then.....
    The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence.

RON PAUL

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Technically there was voting in the Roman Empire, but it was not universal suffrage, but was a privilege of electors, who were an elite class. The author of this article's theology is borderline retarded. Praying for the leaders of the world to do what is right (as Paul states) and being obedient to civil powers when they are in the right (which is what Romans 13 is stating, not blindly excusing tyranny as some might suggest) is not the same thing as endorsing a God-hating government with your vote.

I'm actually at a crossroads regarding what I will be doing this election because as a recently communicate Covenanter/Steelite, I'm under the disciplinary rules of the 1840 Constitution of the Reformed Presbytery against involvement with a government that denies Christ's lordship and requires an oath of all electors and office-holders to the same effect. America was the first nation in the western world since Christianity was first established to throw off any declaration of Christ's lordship over nations, hence the U.S. Constitution itself is at the root of the problem. There are many things found within the Bill of Rights which are indeed good and conducive to a proper civil authority, but there are others that should be deal-breakers for anyone who truly cares about the Christian faith.

Frankly speaking, anyone who would presume to lecture me on a Christian's "civic duty" of voting will get a lecture in return about the wickedness of Freemasonry and Rationalism, and how it was at the root of how America has been constituted. When someone makes a holy sacrament out of voting and the notion of the "will of the people", should we be surprised that such persons end up arguing that it's a constitutional right for men to sodomize each other and call it marriage?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just read this sermon for tomorrow and thought of this thread. (the Orthodox Church commemorate the Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea on the Sunday after the Feast Day of the Holy Ascension). It doesn't exactly address the OP but can add some further thought to the discussion.

On Not Escaping the World, But Being Holy in It: Homily for the Sunday After the Ascension in the Orthodox Church

JUNE 11, 2016 BY FR. PHILIP LEMASTERS

Acts 20:16-18, 28-36

John 17:1-13

It is so easy to diminish ourselves by serving the false gods of pleasure, power, and pride. It is so tempting to allow our pursuit of these passions to obscure the holy calling that we have as those created in the image and likeness of God. Our Lord’s Ascension into heaven, forty days after His resurrection, makes clear that we find true fulfillment as human beings by participating in His blessed, eternal life. Anything else falls well short.

Jesus Christ has fulfilled our ancient calling to grow in the likeness of God, for in Him humanity and divinity are united in one Person. In His Ascension, He goes up into heaven as the God-Man, sharing in the glory that He had with the Father and the Holy Spirit from eternity. Rising with His body and bearing the wounds of His crucifixion, He brings us with Him into the divine glory. Here is a brilliant icon of our salvation that makes clear that our Lord has raised us, not only from the grave and Hades, but into the eternal life of the Holy Trinity. Here is a clear sign of the completion of our vocation to become partakers of the divine nature by grace.

Today we commemorate the Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea, who proclaimed that the One Who brings human beings into the eternal life of God is Himself truly divine and eternal: the only begotten Son of the Father. They recognized that even the best angel, prophet, or teacher could not do that, for only One Who is divine and eternal can bring us into the divine, eternal life of the Holy Trinity. That is a key reason why the Council of Nicaea rejected the teaching of the heretic Arius, who did not think that the Son was fully or eternally God. That is why the Orthodox Church has always disagreed with those who seek to reduce Christ to a great religious teacher or moral example, or who view the Kingdom of God as a mere extension of an earthly kingdom of whatever kind. Our salvation comes not merely through instruction or social change, but through the New Adam Who conquers death and ascends to heavenly glory as the God-Man.

Even if we know the words of the Nicene Creed by heart, we may still be tempted to turn Christ into a Savior who fits with our preconceived notions about what we would like from a religion. After all, it is much easier to follow a Lord Who serves our own pursuit of pleasure, power, and pride than it is to embrace One Who calls us to holiness in every dimension of our existence. Even as He is fully divine, He is also fully human. He went up into heaven with a glorified human body. To share in His life is to share in His holiness in ways that make us shine with the divine glory in body, soul, and spirit in the world as know it. That does not mean becoming less human, but becoming more truly ourselves in God’s image and likeness.

Some think that salvation will come to the world through changes of this or that kind in politics, culture, or economics. Others focus their hopes on changing how people think, feel, or otherwise adjust themselves in relation to various challenges in life. Some ways of addressing such matters are clearly better than others, but none of them fulfills our vocation to be in God’s image and likeness. None of them conquers death and makes us participants in the eternal life of our Lord. None of them can ascend to heaven.

Contrary to some popular notions, ascending with Christ to heavenly glory is not about escaping or abandoning the world, its people, or its problems. The Lord said to His Father concerning His disciples: ”I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.” (John 17: 15) He prayed for their holiness: “Sanctify them by Your truth.” (John 17: 17) Christ’s prayer shows that we find the fulfillment of our humanity when we unite ourselves with Him through a holy life, when we become radiant with the divine brilliance in how we live in this world in tangible, practical ways.

St. Paul is a good example of what such a life looks like. He obviously did not place his own personal tranquility above the needs of others or the ministry of God’s Kingdom. He was beaten, imprisoned, shipwrecked, and ultimately killed for his faith in Christ. He dealt with difficult challenges of all kinds in the churches that he founded and oversaw. In today’s reading from Acts, he warned the elders “that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears.” That is certainly not the way of life of someone who thought that religion was a way to escape from problems and difficulties.

St. Paul also said that he “coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel. You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities, and to those who were with me. In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” This apostle manifested his union with Christ by living in a Christ-like way, taking up his cross and serving others, regardless of the cost. That is how he was sanctified in God’s truth and came to know the holy joy of true participation in the divine life to the depths of his soul.

St. Paul’s background as a fierce persecutor of Christians before his conversion did not keep him from ascending to holiness in Christ Jesus. Neither was he held back in this regard bythe multitude of grave and even life-threatening challenges that he faced throughout his ministry.After the Lord told him, “My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness,” St. Paul wrote “I take pleasure in weaknesses, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” (2 Cor. 12: 9-10)

Like the apostle, we will ascend with Christ in holiness as we offer our weaknesses, failings, and challenges to Him, struggling as best we can to be faithful as we call on His infinite mercy. Unlike some commercialized forms of spirituality, genuine Christianity is not about making us happy on our own terms or somehow convincing ourselves that all is well when it is not. Instead, it is about being sanctified, becoming holy, by uniting every dimension of our life to Christ, including those which we find so hard to offer to Him for healing.

When doing so reveals our weakness, we will be in the position to receive the strength of the One of Who created us in His image and likeness, and Who has united humanity and divinity in His own Person. To ascend in holiness in Him is the fulfillment of what it means to be a human being. It not to escape the world, but to enter into the holy glory for which He made us by turning away from evil and corruption. An angel, a prophet, a political leader, or any mere creature could not do that for us sinners. No, that is something only God can do, and something that we can participate in only if we, like St. Paul, offer ourselves to the Lord in humble obedience amidst the pains and challenges of life in the world as we know it, including our own personal brokenness. That is how we may ascend in Christ to heavenly glory, not by escaping the world, but by opening our weakness to His strength.
    Last edited by TER; 06-11-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Voting for any person who would likely vote to raise taxes of any kind is indeed sinful .It is no different than stealing .

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Just read this sermon for tomorrow and thought of this thread. (the Orthodox Church commemorate the Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea on the Sunday after the Feast Day of the Holy Ascension). It doesn't exactly address the OP but can add some further thought to the discussion.

On Not Escaping the World, But Being Holy in It: Homily for the Sunday After the Ascension in the Orthodox Church

JUNE 11, 2016 BY FR. PHILIP LEMASTERS

Acts 20:16-18, 28-36

John 17:1-13

It is so easy to diminish ourselves by serving the false gods of pleasure, power, and pride. It is so tempting to allow our pursuit of these passions to obscure the holy calling that we have as those created in the image and likeness of God. Our Lord’s Ascension into heaven, forty days after His resurrection, makes clear that we find true fulfillment as human beings by participating in His blessed, eternal life. Anything else falls well short.

Jesus Christ has fulfilled our ancient calling to grow in the likeness of God, for in Him humanity and divinity are united in one Person. In His Ascension, He goes up into heaven as the God-Man, sharing in the glory that He had with the Father and the Holy Spirit from eternity. Rising with His body and bearing the wounds of His crucifixion, He brings us with Him into the divine glory. Here is a brilliant icon of our salvation that makes clear that our Lord has raised us, not only from the grave and Hades, but into the eternal life of the Holy Trinity. Here is a clear sign of the completion of our vocation to become partakers of the divine nature by grace.

Today we commemorate the Holy Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea, who proclaimed that the One Who brings human beings into the eternal life of God is Himself truly divine and eternal: the only begotten Son of the Father. They recognized that even the best angel, prophet, or teacher could not do that, for only One Who is divine and eternal can bring us into the divine, eternal life of the Holy Trinity. That is a key reason why the Council of Nicaea rejected the teaching of the heretic Arius, who did not think that the Son was fully or eternally God. That is why the Orthodox Church has always disagreed with those who seek to reduce Christ to a great religious teacher or moral example, or who view the Kingdom of God as a mere extension of an earthly kingdom of whatever kind. Our salvation comes not merely through instruction or social change, but through the New Adam Who conquers death and ascends to heavenly glory as the God-Man.

Even if we know the words of the Nicene Creed by heart, we may still be tempted to turn Christ into a Savior who fits with our preconceived notions about what we would like from a religion. After all, it is much easier to follow a Lord Who serves our own pursuit of pleasure, power, and pride than it is to embrace One Who calls us to holiness in every dimension of our existence. Even as He is fully divine, He is also fully human. He went up into heaven with a glorified human body. To share in His life is to share in His holiness in ways that make us shine with the divine glory in body, soul, and spirit in the world as know it. That does not mean becoming less human, but becoming more truly ourselves in God’s image and likeness.

Some think that salvation will come to the world through changes of this or that kind in politics, culture, or economics. Others focus their hopes on changing how people think, feel, or otherwise adjust themselves in relation to various challenges in life. Some ways of addressing such matters are clearly better than others, but none of them fulfills our vocation to be in God’s image and likeness. None of them conquers death and makes us participants in the eternal life of our Lord. None of them can ascend to heaven.

Contrary to some popular notions, ascending with Christ to heavenly glory is not about escaping or abandoning the world, its people, or its problems. The Lord said to His Father concerning His disciples: ”I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.” (John 17: 15) He prayed for their holiness: “Sanctify them by Your truth.” (John 17: 17) Christ’s prayer shows that we find the fulfillment of our humanity when we unite ourselves with Him through a holy life, when we become radiant with the divine brilliance in how we live in this world in tangible, practical ways.

St. Paul is a good example of what such a life looks like. He obviously did not place his own personal tranquility above the needs of others or the ministry of God’s Kingdom. He was beaten, imprisoned, shipwrecked, and ultimately killed for his faith in Christ. He dealt with difficult challenges of all kinds in the churches that he founded and oversaw. In today’s reading from Acts, he warned the elders “that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears.” That is certainly not the way of life of someone who thought that religion was a way to escape from problems and difficulties.

St. Paul also said that he “coveted no one’s silver or gold or apparel. You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities, and to those who were with me. In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” This apostle manifested his union with Christ by living in a Christ-like way, taking up his cross and serving others, regardless of the cost. That is how he was sanctified in God’s truth and came to know the holy joy of true participation in the divine life to the depths of his soul.

St. Paul’s background as a fierce persecutor of Christians before his conversion did not keep him from ascending to holiness in Christ Jesus. Neither was he held back in this regard bythe multitude of grave and even life-threatening challenges that he faced throughout his ministry.After the Lord told him, “My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness,” St. Paul wrote “I take pleasure in weaknesses, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” (2 Cor. 12: 9-10)

Like the apostle, we will ascend with Christ in holiness as we offer our weaknesses, failings, and challenges to Him, struggling as best we can to be faithful as we call on His infinite mercy. Unlike some commercialized forms of spirituality, genuine Christianity is not about making us happy on our own terms or somehow convincing ourselves that all is well when it is not. Instead, it is about being sanctified, becoming holy, by uniting every dimension of our life to Christ, including those which we find so hard to offer to Him for healing.

When doing so reveals our weakness, we will be in the position to receive the strength of the One of Who created us in His image and likeness, and Who has united humanity and divinity in His own Person. To ascend in holiness in Him is the fulfillment of what it means to be a human being. It not to escape the world, but to enter into the holy glory for which He made us by turning away from evil and corruption. An angel, a prophet, a political leader, or any mere creature could not do that for us sinners. No, that is something only God can do, and something that we can participate in only if we, like St. Paul, offer ourselves to the Lord in humble obedience amidst the pains and challenges of life in the world as we know it, including our own personal brokenness. That is how we may ascend in Christ to heavenly glory, not by escaping the world, but by opening our weakness to His strength.
    +rep

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    I guess I'm going to hell then.....
    You have a choice.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Jesus was an anarchist He did not support man ruling over man.

Since Satan rules and controls ALL human governments, wouldn't that tend to make voting the sin?

What was the last US national election that non-voters weren't the majority?

All hail the blessed non-voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    His Father.
    I figure more in the form of an edict.

Google votes for HRC.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am so jaded as many on these forums who refuse to vote. I think citizens should vote. We taught our kiddo to vote. She and her husband vote.

On the other hand, I do not think not voting is a sin. The Bible has a lot to say about false teachers. There is nothing in the Bible that says we need to do more than follow the law and pray for our leaders so we can live quiet and peaceable lives. Saying more than that is false teaching.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I am so jaded as many on these forums who refuse to vote. I think citizens should vote. We taught our kiddo to vote. She and her husband vote.
    Why? I only vote when there's someone worth voting for - which isn't very often or when there's a referendum. I get jaded when people knowingly vote for evil people. I doubt it thrills Jesus for people to endorse evil because they want to be good citizens.

On the other hand, I do not think not voting is a sin. The Bible has a lot to say about false teachers. There is nothing in the Bible that says we need to do more than follow the law and pray for our leaders so we can live quiet and peaceable lives. Saying more than that is false teaching.
    Who's law? God's or man's?

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post

Poor old Satan needs all the help he can get, and really appreciates your ongoing support.

It's probably inadvisable for you to argue with your Holy Bible though, but what the heck do I know ......... or care? <shrug>

This world is not my home. I'm just passing through.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 06-12-2016 at 01:55 PM.

anything less than, end the fed and restoring the constitution, won't get a vote.

Romans 13: 10
    Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Along the lines of the gun of government concept, Christians should absolutely practice muzzle control and not vote.

Show me a candidate who practices muzzle control themselves, and that's a candidate I can vote for without sinning.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Why? I only vote when there's someone worth voting for - which isn't very often or when there's a referendum. I get jaded when people knowingly vote for evil people. I doubt it thrills Jesus for people to endorse evil because they want to be good citizens.

Who's law? God's or man's?
    Yup, Good citizens of the USA. But our citizenship is in heaven.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.