Thread: Wheel Tax?

Wheel Tax?

Owning a vehicle in Munster is about to get more expensive.

The Munster Town Council approved on first reading a wheel tax and surcharge on all types of motorized vehicles at its meeting Monday, with exceptions for state-owned vehicles, including school buses, or those operated by a religious or nonprofit youth organization.

"I'm not happy about this at all," Councilman David Nellans, R-4h, said. "We're backed into a corner."

Nellans said that with significant reductions from the state to fund road repairs, the town has struggled financially to maintain its streets over the past several years.

The town council voted 5-0 to pass the tax, which will be considered for adoption on second reading at its next meeting on June 20.

Munster is joining other Northwest Indiana communities, such as Portage, in enacting the tax to raise funds for local road maintenance. Crown Point, Valparaiso, Gary and Highland are also considering the tax.

Under a new state law, communities with a population greater than 10,000 in a county that does not levy a motor vehicle surtax and wheel tax can impose a tax at a local level.

The proposed tax works two ways, officials said. The surtax applies to passenger vehicles, motorcycles and trucks under a gross weight of 11,000 pounds. The maximum allowable tax is $25 per vehicle.

The wheel tax applies to buses, recreational vehicles, farm tractors, semitrailers and trucks, capped at $40 per vehicle.

Munster is seeking the maximum allowable tax under both vehicle classifications, which town officials estimate can raise more than $500,000 annually.

Town Manager Dustin Anderson presented an evaluation of Munster's roads based on the Indiana Department of Transportation's (INDOT) Technical Assistance Program Pavement Surface Evaluation Rating system. The report identifies more than $20 million in potential road maintenance work.

"The magnitude is great, but the roads in Munster are probably a little better than elsewhere," Anderson said, noting Munster's roads rank an average of 5 on a 10-point scale.

Councilman Joe Simonetto, R-3rd, added that he is concerned for senior citizens who may have difficultly affording the tax, which will be collected and disbursed through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

INDOT will make additional road funding will be available next year through an $186 million fund from which eligible Indiana towns can apply for up to a 50 percent matching grant based on what they collect from the surtax and wheel tax annually.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...607-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Right away, that vehicle really needs an electronic control to limit maximum acceleration and breaking
    to a point JUST BEFORE uncontrolled "roll-over" begins.

Ah oh, where are the required lighting systems and plates (in the second picture w/smaller, more sensible sized engine)?

BTW, The wheel-tax-goons will still see 4 wheels in that picture (large one is black and three small wheels are white).

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Right away, that vehicle really needs an electronic control to limit maximum acceleration and breaking
    to a point JUST BEFORE uncontrolled "roll-over" begins.

Ah oh, where are the required lighting systems and plates (in the second picture w/smaller, more sensible sized engine)?

BTW, The wheel-tax-goons will still see 4 wheels in that picture (large one is black and three small wheels are white).
    Don't give 'em any ideas, bearing taxes will be next, rollers, balls and sleeves will all be taxed appropriately...An additional penalty for Babbitt because foundries belong overseas.....

We do not have this where I am but it was proposed once. No tax increase has gotten public support since the last market crash. Thankfully .

We have a wheel tax here, it is built into the price of your vehicle registration in my county.

They wanted to raise property tax. The People said no. So they did wheel tax instead.

I prefer a wheel tax over an increase in the property tax on my house and land.
    I can choose to not register my vehicle, I cant really choose to not have a roof over my head.

Same reason I prefer a sales tax over an income tax. I can choose to not buy stuff, I cant choose to not have income.

Chester Copperpot

this is good... levitation or anti gravity is sure to be invented soon

Wow, going way back to basics, how about a fire tax? Stick tax, rock tax?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyRevolution View Post
    We have a wheel tax here, it is built into the price of your vehicle registration in my county.

They wanted to raise property tax. The People said no. So they did wheel tax instead.

I prefer a wheel tax over an increase in the property tax on my house and land.
    I can choose to not register my vehicle, I cant really choose to not have a roof over my head.

Same reason I prefer a sales tax over an income tax. I can choose to not buy stuff, I cant choose to not have income.
    The Mob Bosses that control the general area in which I reside, have all four forms of those taxes you mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.