Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All Of The Pretty Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    No, not that I know of. I got the tree cut up and the big stuff cleaned up. At least condensed for now. I'll tell you what, though, never try to nail down a sheet of your neighbor's roof plywood in 50 mph wind. It's like a wing suit.
    Well that is good news. Crazy weather.

Apple Blossoms.

I might get 20 pies off this tree this year. Some cobbler maybe. I don't know. Cider. Something.

There's a honeybee in the middle there some place.

I have two dead apple trees with lichen on them. I am so sad. Rabbits got to the roots last winter. Arrrgh.

My cherry trees bloomed beautifully this year, though.

I also plants some hazelnut, pecan and walnut trees this spring.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Well that is good news. Crazy weather.

I have two dead apple trees with lichen on them. I am so sad. Rabbits got to the roots last winter. Arrrgh.

My cherry trees bloomed beautifully this year, though.

I also plants some hazelnut, pecan and walnut trees this spring.
    Ooooh, we had black walnut trees when we lived in Tennessee. Mmm mmm mmm. I used to love those things. It'll take those trees a long time to get big, though, donnay. Lots of Christmas and Thanksgiving nuts for baking with those trees, though.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-19-2016 at 05:05 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ooooh, we had black walnut trees when we lived in Tennessee. Mmm mmm mmm. I used to love those things. It'll take those trees a long time to get big, though, donnay. Lots of Christmas and Thanksgiving nuts for baking with those trees, though.
    Black walnuts actually grow pretty fast -- at least twice as fast as a silver maple. I planted a silver maple nine and a half years ago. It was about three feet tall when I planted it. In the meantime, a let a black walnut that came up voluntarily nearby keep growing. The walnut started from a nut a little over five years ago and is now the same size as the maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Black walnuts actually grow pretty fast -- at least twice as fast as a silver maple. I planted a silver maple nine and a half years ago. It was about three feet tall when I planted it. In the meantime, a let a black walnut that came up voluntarily nearby keep growing. The walnut started from a nut a little over five years ago and is now the same size as the maple.
    Yeah? Hm. Maybe it just seems like a long time to me because I'm waiting for those wonderful nuts. That's my favorite nut, the black walnuts. Especially in some good pound cake. Phhhht. To die for.

I've got Clematis here growing on some fences. Together with regular Hedera Helix and some other green plants. It's green all-year-round but because these Clematis things flower at different times of year there are pretty much always flowers from spring-fall but in different colors.. Pretty cool. I've got red, white, yellow, blue, purple.. I think the only colors I don't have is pink and green. Pink exists but I don't like it. I've got the stronger colors..

These are my favorites I think (Not my pic);

"Multi-Blue"
    "I am a bird"

Yeah? Hm. Maybe it just seems like a long time to me because I'm waiting for those wonderful nuts. That's my favorite nut, the black walnuts. Especially in some good pound cake. Phhhht. To die for.
    I have a Giant Sequoia here.. People keep telling me how it's a slow growing tree because it takes hundreds, thousands of years to grow to 300ft tall... What people don't understand is that even though it takes a long time for a tree to get so ginormous, these trees actually have one of the higher growth rates when it comes to trees. The amount of mass they can 'grow' in a year is absolutely staggering.. My little tree is 2 years old, got it as a small seedling.. At the moment it's a 2ft high but pretty bushy Christmas tree like thing.. Pretty damn beautiful really but it GROWS FAST. Therefore it's in a big pot and I'll make some kind of bonsai out of it. I don't have the space here to plant a tree that will become MASSIVE within 10 years. If I had a large field, I'd plant a couple, just in case I'd have kids at some point, they'd be the best trees to build tree-houses in.
    "I am a bird"

Oh, yeah, Clematis are pretty flowers. I've only ever seen them in purple. They trickle right up things, too.

Sequoia would be an awsome treehouse.

My area gets positively blanketed with black walnuts every fall. You could drive down 2-3 blocks and collect a hundred pounds of them in the street. Most people don't even bother to collect them.

Incidentally our trees made nuts starting in their third year.

Could be that the walnuts here grow so fast and so easily because the soil and climate are just right for them.

Hey, another lily bloomed next to those two in the op. I went out early this morning and took some pictures of it as it started to bloom. I wasn't going to post them here but I already uploaded them so may as well.

Here you go...https://plus.google.com/photos/11206...91932035519393
    Beautiful, just beautiful.

I was told the black walnut trees will grow fast--so we shall see. I was told the hazelnut trees will grow fast and produce nuts within three years. The pecan trees are cold hardy, and it is supposed to produce the nuts within 3 to 5 years.

I was also told that when you grow black walnuts, you need to put it in an area where you are not growing food (or ornamental landscaping), because it produces it own insecticide called juglone. This natural substance will kill anything that is within 50 to 80 feet from the trunk.

However, black walnut hulls made into a tincture will help kill parasites and worms in your gut and do some other good things.

“Black Walnut Hull may help to lower blood pressure and serum cholesterol levels and is believed to burn up toxins and fatty materials while balancing blood sugar levels.

The tannins in Black Walnut Hull (and leaves) possess an astringent quality that is thought to shrink the sweat glands and reduce excessive sweating. The herb is said to help control menorrhagia, the excessive loss of blood during periods. It is also used to control diarrhea.

Black Walnut Hull is considered a tonic that aids digestion and the intestinal system. It helps to relieve colic, heartburn and flatulence. As a cholagogue, it stimulates the flow of bile into the intestines and is thought to ease bilious colic and pain in the spleen.”

Perhaps Black Walnut’s most well-known property is its ability to fight intestinal parasites. It is a well documented vermifuge that is effective at helping the body rid itself of parasites. As a laxative, it expels parasites as part of its cleansing of the body and the high tannin and juglone content is thought to oxygenate the blood and kill parasites. Black walnut is effective against pinworm, ringworm, tapeworm, and other intestinal parasites.
    http://wellnessmama.com/257/black-wa...-herb-profile/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I was also told that when you grow black walnuts, you need to put it in an area where you are not growing food (or ornamental landscaping), because it produces it own insecticide called juglone. This natural substance will kill anything that is within 50 to 80 feet from the trunk.
    I tend not to believe this idea, because I have several black walnuts growing all over the yard here, and each of them is surrounded by live plants of all kinds, growing right up next to them and all around them, with no apparent ill effects. I do pick up the dropped walnuts every fall, which might be making a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    I tend not to believe this idea, because I have several black walnuts growing all over the yard here, and each of them is surrounded by live plants of all kinds, growing right up next to them and all around them, with no apparent ill effects. I do pick up the dropped walnuts every fall, which might be making a difference.

Companion plants for black walnut trees

Purdue University has informal lists of plants that tolerate juglone and those that are sensitive to it. Choose from the following list for best results in planting near black walnut trees or walnut trees grown on black walnut rootstock. Follow these guidelines for planting within the dripline of the tree and, according to the University of Wisconsin, up to 50’-80’ from the trunk. Naturally you need to consider the sun and shade requirements of the plants, as well.

Vegetables: lima bean; snap bean; beet; carrot; corn; melon; onion; parsnip; squash.

Fruits: black raspberry, cherry.

Landscape plants: arborvitae; autumn olive; red cedar; catalpa; clematis; crabapple; daphne; elm; euonymous (burning bush); forsythia; hawthorn; hemlock; hickory; honeysuckle; junipers; black locust; Japanese maple; maple (most); oak; pachysandra; pawpaw; persimmon; redbud; rose of sharon; wild rose; sycamore; viburnum (most); Virginia creeper.

Flowers and herbaceous plants: astilbe; bee balm; begonia; bellflower; bergamot; bloodroot; Kentucky bluegrass; Spanish bluebell; Virginia bluebell; bugleweed; chrysanthemum (some); coral bells; cranesbill geranium; crocus; Shasta daisy; daylily; Dutchman’s breeches; ferns; wild ginger; glory-of-the-snow; muscari (grape hyacinth); grasses (most); orange hawkweed; herb Robert; hollyhock; hosta (many); hyacinth; Siberian iris; Jack-in-the* pulpit; Jacob’s ladder; Jerusalem artichoke; lamb’s ear; leopard’s bane; lungwort; mayapple; merrybells; morning glory; narcissus (some); pansy; peony (some); phlox; poison ivy; pot marigold; polyanthus primrose; snowdrop; Solomon’s seal; spiderwort; spring beauty; Siberian squill; stonecrop; sundrop; sweet Cicely; sweet woodruff; trillium; tulip; violet; Virginia waterleaf; winter aconite; zinnia.

Plants that are sensitive to black walnut tree toxicity

Vegetables: asparagus, cabbage, eggplant, pepper, potato, rhubarb, tomato.

Fruits: apple, blackberry, blueberry, pear.

Landscape plants: black alder; azalea; basswood; white birch; ornamental cherries; red chokeberry; hackberry; Amur honeysuckle; hydrangea; Japanese larch; lespedeza; lilac; saucer magnolia; silver maple; mountain laurel; pear; loblolly pine; mugo pine; red pine; scotch pine; white pine; potentilla; privet; rhododendron; Norway spruce; viburnum (few); yew.

Flowers and herbaceous plants: autumn crocus (Colchicum); blue wild indigo (Baptisia); chrysanthemum (some); columbine; hydrangea; lily; narcissus (some); peony (some); petunia; tobacco.

Field crops: alfalfa; crimson clover; tobacco.

Tip: This does not mean you can’t compost black walnut leaves. According to Ohio State University Extension, “walnut leaves can be composted because the toxin breaks down when exposed to air, water and bacteria. The toxic effect can be degraded in two to four weeks.” If you do compost the leaves, put them in a separate compost pile and do not spread the resulting compost on plants that are on the sensitive list.

For more information: The go-to book for anyone growing nut and fruit trees in California is the UC Davis publication, The Home Orchard.

Add some walnut trees to your property and create a beautiful landscape with these companion plants that tolerate toxicity.
    http://www.groworganic.com/organic-g...-tree-toxicity

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-19-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Accidentally deleted my flower folder...

Pink Spirea out back...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-19-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Rhododendron blossomed out front...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-19-2016 at 05:01 PM.

My peonies.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No lie: I was not sneezing until I read this thread.

But! Very pretty, ladies & gents.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Here is some Honeysuckle. I was thinking about cutting it all out and getting rid of it. Thing is, though, that it just smells so good. Plus I like to suck on them, too. And the Humningbirds dig em. I like the Hummingbirds, particularly. So, I don't know. I might keep some around. I kind of forgot about this thread.

Daylily (?) I'm not sure. They keep spreading, though. Might have to thin them out soon.

Bumblebees like these ones. I don't know what they are but they must have some sweet nectar or something. But these only flower for a day or two and, then, die off. But they do flower all summer, at least. I have these everywhere. I think they self-seed.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-21-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Here is some Honeysuckle. I was thinking about cutting it all out and getting rid of it. Thing is, though, that it just smells so good. Plus I like to suck on them, too. And the Humningbirds dig em. I like the Hummingbirds, particularly. So, I don't know. I might keep some around. I kind of forgot about this thread.
    I planted a honeysuckle bush near my feeders. It has huge orangeish red blooms. It had a few blooms when I put it in but my niece picked them. When I get more, I'll take a photo because they're gigantic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Daylily (?) I'm not sure. They keep spreading, though. Might have to thin them out soon.
    Not Day Lily. Not sure what it is, but here's how Day Lilies look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daylilies.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	5042

My butterfly bush.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Another one.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I just planted daylilies all around the side of my house. Beautiful. I love flowers.

Ah, man. I deleted that folder that I had with all of my flower pictures in it on my Google+. So, then, all of the pictures I've shared here are a mere memory. Dang.

Ah well. At least I still have them on my computer.

I have a dragonfly friend. I noticed him hanging around the pool a lot and then the other day when I was walking around skimming the dead bugs off the top of the water, he hopped on the part of the net that sticks up out of the water and rode it around until I shooed him off. I felt like Snow White.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I have a dragonfly friend. I noticed him hanging around the pool a lot and then the other day when I was walking around skimming the dead bugs off the top of the water, he hopped on the part of the net that sticks up out of the water and rode it around until I shooed him off. I felt like Snow White.
    I accidentally stepped on one this morning. He was hanging out on my paver walkway and I didn't notice him until I came back from turning on my sprinklers.

It's a shame. He was a pretty blue color. He's still out there but the ants are doing a number on him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast