Thread: Judge bashed by Trump orders release of company records

Judge bashed by Trump orders release of company records

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...972_story.html

He bashed the judge (who is in San Diego) during his visit to San Diego.

A federal judge has ordered the release of internal Trump University documents in an ongoing lawsuit against the company, including “playbooks” that advised sales personnel how to market high-priced courses on getting rich through real estate.

The Friday ruling, in which Judge Gonzalo Curiel cited heightened public interest in presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, was issued in response to a request by The Washington Post. The ruling was a setback for Trump, whose attorneys argued that the documents contained trade secrets.

Curiel’s order came the same day that Trump railed against the judge at a boisterous San Diego rally for his handling of the case, in which students have alleged they were misled and defrauded. The trial is set for November.

Trump, who previously questioned whether Curiel’s Hispanic heritage made him biased due to Trump’s support for building a wall on the Mexican border, said Friday that Curiel “happens to be, we believe, Mexican.” Trump called the judge a “hater of Donald Trump” who had “railroaded” him in the case.

“I think Judge Curiel should be ashamed of himself. I think it’s a disgrace that he is doing this, “ Trump said

In his order, Curiel noted that Trump had emerged as a leading presidential candidate over the course of the civil case against Trump University and that Trump had “placed the integrity of these court proceedings at issue.” The judge pointed to a previous case to say that courts deciding on public disclosure must weigh “whether a party benefitting from the order of confidentiality is a public entity or official; and . . . whether the case involves issues important to the public.”

Trump University was started in 2004 to offer courses in entre*pre*neur*ship under the Trump brand. Trump gave his blessing, according to court documents reported previously by The Post, becoming a 93 percent owner of the new enterprise.

[Donald Trump billed his ‘University’ as a road to riches, but critics call it a fraud]

Two class action lawsuits being considered in San Diego have accused Trump University of using deceptive practices as it brought in millions of dollars from customers who were told they would learn Trump’s techniques to become successful in the world of real estate. Trump and his attorneys have vigorously denied the fraud claims, pointing to high ratings that students gave their courses at the time.
    Trump may be required to appear in court on the case scheduled to begin November 28th. Judge Curiel is not Mexican but was born in Indiana.

In addition to the class action cases, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a $40 million lawsuit in 2013 alleging that Trump had defrauded more than 5,000 individuals through Trump University, which was never licensed as an educational institution.

Schneiderman alleged in the suit that Trump personally earned $5 million from the enterprise, in which sales personnel were assigned to get people to pay $1,495 for a three-day seminar in real estate techniques. In selling the courses, Trump released a marketing video that said, “We are going to have professors and adjunct professors that are absolutely terrific . . . and these are all people who are going to be handpicked by me.

One of the university’s top executives, Michael Sexton, subsequently testified in one of the class action suits that “none of the professors at the live events” were handpicked by Trump. Depositions released in March quote Trump acknowledging a lack of close involvement with mentors and students.
    Trump comments: http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/0...-trump-u-case/

I have a judge who is a hater of Donald Trump, a hater. He’s a hater. His name is Gonzalo Curiel,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd of several thousand booed. “He is not doing the right thing. And I figure, what the hell? Why not talk about it for two minutes?”

To the San Diego crowd, Mr. Trump argued that Judge Curiel should be removed from the case because he is biased against him. The evidence Mr. Trump presented: Rulings against him and the fact that Judge Curial was appointed to the bench by President Barack Obama. The Senate confirmed Judge Curiel by a voice vote in September 2012.

An aide in Judge Curiel’s chambers on Friday said the judicial code of conduct prevents him from responding to Mr. Trump.

“We’re in front of a very hostile judge,” Mr. Trump said. “The judge was appointed by Barack Obama, federal judge. Frankly, he should recuse himself because he’s given us ruling after ruling after ruling, negative, negative, negative.”

Mr. Trump also told the audience, which had previously chanted the Republican standard-bearer’s signature “build that wall” mantra in reference to Mr. Trump’s proposed wall along the Mexican border, that Judge Curiel is “Mexican.”

“What happens is the judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great. I think that’s fine,” Mr. Trump said.

Judge Curiel was born in Indiana.

Mr. Trump told the crowd he looks forward to returning to San Diego for the trial in November and asked for an investigation into Judge Curiel for reasons he did not specify.

“I think Judge Curiel should be ashamed of himself,” Mr. Trump said. “I’m telling you, this court system, judges in this court system, federal court, they ought to look into Judge Curiel. Because what Judge Curiel is doing is a total disgrace, OK? But we’ll come back in November. Wouldn’t that be wild if I’m president and I come back to do a civil case? Where everybody likes it. OK. This is called life, folks.
    Not a good idea to insult a judge who may rule against you.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Convenient timing. I'm sure it isn't politically-motivated. No, couldn't be that.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Pretty sure he was issuing the order anyway, and Trump knew this. His bashing was pre-emptive, to make it look like it was the reason for the order. In fact, the order unsealed items that were already out there in the public domain.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Pretty sure he was issuing the order anyway, and Trump knew this. His bashing was pre-emptive, to make it look like it was the reason for the order. In fact, the order unsealed items that were already out there in the public domain.
    True.

The only person out of line in this situation is Donald Trump.

To this point, I don't see any errors in Judge Curiel's handling of this case.

After the billions in debt to Wall Street banks, and various other liabilities, Trump is worth less than $100 million.

You heard it here first.

He's smart because he's rich....

That and $6 will buy you a cup of coffee.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Dumb move by Gonzalo. He just brought piss to a shyt fight. As a judge you can never let your emotions get the best of you, but not surprising from a guy who is probably an anchor baby and was appointed for pure political reasons rather than merit. Trump will destroy him.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Dumb move by Gonzalo. He just brought piss to a shyt fight. As a judge you can never let your emotions get the best of you, but not surprising from a guy who is probably an anchor baby and was appointed for pure political reasons rather than merit. Trump will destroy him.
    The judge is more American than any of Trump's wives. (he was unanimously approved by Congress for his position which would include Rand Paul).

Trump does not like him because he has ruled against him in the past. Trump's response is to attack people he does not like. That is scary in a president with access to a modern military.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-31-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    from a guy who is probably an anchor baby and was appointed for pure political reasons rather than merit
    Curious if you have any evidence towards these claims? I've done a bit of googling and can't find anything beyond that his parents were immigrants with Mexican descent. Nothing regarding illegal immigration or the suggestion that the Judge is an anchor baby.

Or do we just follow Trump's lead and blindly accuse people of things regardless of truth?

In addition to the class action cases, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman filed a $40 million lawsuit in 2013 alleging that Trump had defrauded more than 5,000 individuals through Trump University, which was never licensed as an educational institution.
    It doesn't need an educational license. It never was intended as one any more then McDonald's hamburger university is a university or any other corporate company university is a university.

This is the third claim in the headlines of stories I've read today - one not political and not on here - where the headline and story point has absolutely no support or claim of support in the story from facts.

It's getting really dumb out there.
    Last edited by SpiritOf1776_J4; 05-31-2016 at 12:55 PM.

graduate-from-hamburger-university
    http://www.eater.com/2014/3/31/62548...ger-university

Might be a job opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1776_J4 View Post
    It doesn't need an educational license. It never was intended as one any more then McDonald's hamburger university is a university or any other corporate company university is a university.
    I agree that they did not need an educational license. It's a pointless lawsuit which I don't think will result in a victory.

Prosecutors do not need to bark up that tree. IMO this is an easy case to prove of fraudulent activities by Trump University. It's a clear cut case of deceptive marketing, fraudulent claims, false testimonials, etc.. The FTC has issued large fines and put many in prison for much, much less. A ton of this was going on a few years ago especially with rebilling type actions and there has been a real crack down on it.

No way Trump gets out of this one, unless he gets political asylum somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    I agree that they did not need an educational license. It's a pointless lawsuit which I don't think will result in a victory.

Prosecutors do not need to bark up that tree. IMO this is an easy case to prove of fraudulent activities by Trump University. It's a clear cut case of deceptive marketing, fraudulent claims, false testimonials, etc.. The FTC has issued large fines and put many in prison for much, much less. A ton of this was going on a few years ago especially with rebilling type actions and there has been a real crack down on it.

No way Trump gets out of this one, unless he gets political asylum somehow.
    "financial elder abuse" is one of the charges. There are also civil racketeering charges against him in CA and NY.

The attacks made no difference. This hit was ordered on Trump. One judge isn't going to toss out the case because he has a conscience.

It's a smart move actually like attacking Cruz & others for various things during the primary like losing the delegates in colorado.

The guy is a run of the mill hack judge associated with SoCal Dems & Chicagoland Dems.

Has he ever condemned Luis Gutierrez bigotry?
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.