Thread: Now is the time of year to collect horsetail

Exclamation Now is the time of year to collect horsetail

Now is the time of year to collect horsetail

I have just picked two full baskets of horsetail. Most people think it is a weed, but there are so many benefits to horsetail.

I am making an extract right now.

I have over a hundred bundles drying to put in an airlock jar for teas and glycerine extracts.

Here is a list of benefits:

Health Benefits of Horsetail

Cancer Prevention: One of the most exciting areas of research concerning horsetail has related to cancer, as the antioxidants found in horsetail extract show significant effects against free radicals, the dangerous byproducts of cellular respiration that can cause inflammation, pain, wear on the organs, and degenerative diseases. The presence of antioxidants also prevents free radicals from causing healthy cells to mutate into cancerous ones. This research is in its early stages, but the results thus far are promising.

Immune Support: Some of the other properties of horsetail include antibacterial and antiseptic, meaning that the extract can protect against the invasion of foreign pathogens and substances that can compromise our immune system. This is particularly effective when you have been wounded or are recovering from an illness, as infections can be much more severe when they attack an already weakened immune system.

Inflammation Relief: If you regularly experience painful swelling and inflammation in parts of your body, whether due to injury, arthritis, gout, or any other condition, adding horsetail tea or supplements to your health regiment can be of great use. The analgesic and anti-inflammatory compounds found in horsetail can quickly alleviate those symptoms and get you back on your feet.

Protect the Bones: Silicon is one of the rarest minerals needed by our body and there are very few accessible sources of it in our diet, which is why you so often find it in supplement form. However, horsetail has naturally high concentrations of silicon, which is a key element in protecting bone mineral density and integrity as we age. If you are at high risk of osteoporosis or already suffer from bone degradation, then adding horsetail to your diet is an easy solution to slow the decline, and even reverse it in some cases!

Cognition: The idea of our mind “starting to go” can be a frightening thought, so it is important to protect your powers of cognition as well as possible. Horsetail’s antioxidant effects have been linked to higher cognitive abilities in laboratory studies, probably owing to the increase in neural pathway efficiency when free radicals are eliminated from the system. This means that horsetail is not only a brain-boosting herb, but it may protect from cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia as we age.

Respiratory Issues: if you suffer from respiratory issues, such as congestion or frequent colds, drinking horsetail tea can be a wonderful solution. It acts as an expectorant, clearing out mucus and phlegm where bacteria can lodge and grow, while also helping to strengthen the immune system and relieve inflammation, resulting in respiratory relief, such as the elimination of coughs and irritation in your tracts.

Soothe the Skin: Horsetail extract is commonly found in various creams and organic beauty products, as the unique and complex mixture of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, silica, and other compounds are a powerful agent for skin care. If you want to reduce the redness of boils or acne, eliminate eczema or psoriasis, or prevent premature aging, horsetail extract contains all of the necessary components to do that.

Diabetes: Research has connected the use of horsetail supplements and tea to more balanced insulin levels in the body, namely in the rapid lowering of blood sugar when necessary. While this is an effective method of diabetes management, it should only be used for a short time, or when absolutely necessary. It can have serious long-term impacts if consumed for longer than two months in succession.

Kidney Health: Regulating urination and the elimination of toxins is crucial to overall health, and horsetail extract can help to achieve that. Connections have been made between increased uric acid elimination and horsetail consumption. Uric acid is what creates painful kidney stones, which can cause the kidneys to work inefficiently. Therefore, by increasing the natural excretion of this acid, there is no build-up and your kidney health is protected.

Hair Care: The rich mixture of minerals and organic compounds in horsetail have also made it a popular element in hair products, namely to increase the strength of the hair and improve its health. You can reduce hair loss, strengthen hair follicles and even boost the luster and shine of your hair by using horsetail extracts in your hair care products.

A Final Word of Warning: There are some negative side effects to horsetail, but they generally only manifest after taking the herb for more than two months straight. The effects on your body can be very powerful and beneficial, as we have seen above, but care must be taken. If you are pregnant or lactating, don’t consume this herb, and for everyone else, speak to a trained medical professional or your physician before adding this high-impact herb to your health regimen.
    https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...horsetail.html
    Last edited by donnay; 05-28-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't the horses mind? How else do they swish away the flies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Don't the horses mind? How else do they swish away the flies?
    LOL!

Horsetail is actually poisonous to horses.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I just mowed lots this afternoon.....

The smell is quite pronounced...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Oh my Lord, that's the mother-load! I had to literally hunt for the horsetail. *SIGH*

One thing is, if you want to pick the horsetail make sure they are young shoots and the needles are upwards and not spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Oh my Lord, that's the mother-load! I had to literally hunt for the horsetail. *SIGH*

One thing is, if you want to pick the horsetail make sure they are young shoots and the needles are upwards snf not spread out.
    That's not at my house, I just wanted to show a pic of the whole plant. I do have a lot, though. It really loves the space between my top retaining wall and the woods. Totally fills up that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's not at my house, I just wanted to show a pic of the whole plant. I do have a lot, though. It really loves the space between my top retaining wall and the woods. Totally fills up that area.
    Nice. I have a good bunch too but not like that picture. Wished i had that much, though.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL!

Horsetail is actually poisonous to horses.
    So, I guess the name then is only a really bad joke.

So, I guess the name then is only a really bad joke.
    It's called horsetail because when you turn it upside down to dry them they look just like a horse's tail.

Circulation.. the article missed circulation. This is one of the herbs recommended for Varicose veins
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

It's called horsetail because when you turn it upside down to dry them they look just like a horse's tail.

Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Circulation.. the article missed circulation. This is one of the herbs recommended for Varicose veins
    Great point, Opal. Horsetail has so many good medicinal qualities.

I also found a couple of studies where it helps remove excess heavy metals from the body--aluminum, lead and zinc.

It also has traces of nicotine.

Learn something new every day. Thanks!
    Yes, indeed and we should never stop learning!

Yes, indeed and we should never stop learning!
    "Can only learn more, never less."