Thread: Donald Trump would allow Keystone XL pipeline and end Paris climate deal

Donald Trump would allow Keystone XL pipeline and end Paris climate deal

Donald Trump would allow Keystone XL pipeline and end Paris climate deal

Republican nominee took veiled shots at those who are concerned about global warming and endorsed drilling off the Atlantic coast in a speech on energy policy

Donald Trump pledged to cancel the Paris climate agreement, endorsed drilling off the Atlantic coast and said he would allow the Keystone XL pipeline to be built in return for “a big piece of the profits” for the American people.

At an oil and natural gas conference in North Dakota on Thursday, just minutes after he had celebrated hitting the 1,237 delegate mark needed to formally clinch the party’s nomination, Trump gave a speech on energy policy that was largely shaped by advice from Kevin Cramer, a US representative from the state.

In a press conference before the event, Trump praised the advice of oil tycoon Harold Hamm. Hamm and Cramer then introduced him onstage.

Michael Brune, executive director of the Sierra Club environmentalist group, was taken aback by Trump’s address.

“I have never heard more contradiction in one hour than I heard in the speech,” he told the Guardian.

“There are pools of oil industry waste water that are deeper than Trump’s grasp of energy.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ge-keystone-xl
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So what's your point?

That he supports large government aided projects that may use eminent domain to seize property to make it possible? (His wall will require seizing private property as well). http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2582634

Trump: Without eminent domain, Keystone pipeline 'wouldn't go 10 feet'

Donald Trump offered a full-throated defense of eminent domain, the authority of the government to seize private property for public use, and said without that power, the government couldn't do many things conservatives support, including the Keystone Pipeline.

"Eminent domain is an absolute necessity for a country, for our country. Without it, you wouldn't have roads, you wouldn't have hospitals, you wouldn't have anything," Trump said.

"You wouldn't have schools, you wouldn't have bridges. You need eminent domain. And a lot of the big conservatives that tell me how conservative they are, I think I'm more than they are, they tell me, oh, well, they all want the Keystone [XL] pipeline. The Keystone pipeline, without eminent domain, it wouldn't go 10 feet, OK? You need eminent domain. And eminent domain is a good thing, not a bad thing."

Yeah, well,...people need jobs,..the country needs a self sufficient energy supply. Frack for oil,...open the coal mines,..build a pipeline,..fire up the steel mills,...whatever it takes to get this country working again.

I couldn't care less about all of the nebulous ideology that it stomps on.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Oh!,...and fug the spotted owls, too.

If it's now Trump's REAL plan to destroy instead
    of greatify America, that's good enough for me.

Bring it.
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 05-27-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Yeah, well,...people need jobs,..the country needs a self sufficient energy supply. Frack for oil,...open the coal mines,..build a pipeline,..fire up the steel mills,...whatever it takes to get this country working again.

I couldn't care less about all of the nebulous ideology that it stomps on.
    Keystone won't make us energy self- sufficient. It is to transport Canadian oil across the country to refineries in the South. For a while it will create jobs while the pipeline is constructed but then it will cost jobs for the trains and trucks currently used to transport the oil.

Why not just build a refinery closer to the oil source? Then you still create jobs but no need to seize private property to do it. Less risk of leaks too.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-27-2016 at 09:43 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I heard enough leftist garbage from the Sierra Club a long, long time ago. They would have us all living in mud huts and eating tofu if it was up to them.

I heard enough leftist garbage from the Sierra Club a long, long time ago. They would have us all living in mud huts and eating tofu if it was up to them.
    You are on the wrong fourm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
    You are on the wrong fourm.
    I've seen your talk. I'll be surprised if there's not a straitjacket in your future.

I've seen your talk. I'll be surprised if there's not a straitjacket in your future.
    Not surprising from a guy that supports endless wars.

Endless wars is the topic now, eh?

A conversation with you is like chasing a fart in a tornado.

Endless wars is the topic now, eh?

A conversation with you is like chasing a fart in a tornado.
    You are not that smart, are you?

That must be it.

That must be it.
    For a guy that has a short memory, I was going to ask you the same question?
    Last edited by Wilf; 05-27-2016 at 10:11 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That he supports large government aided projects that may use eminent domain to seize property to make it possible? (His wall will require seizing private property as well). http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2582634
    If they don't care about him using eminent domain to build The Wall, they definitely won't care about him using it to build The Pipe.

Exclusive: Trump considering fracking mogul Harold Hamm as energy secretary - sources

CLEVELAND Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is considering nominating Oklahoma oil and gas mogul Harold Hamm as energy secretary if elected to the White House on Nov. 8, according to four sources close to Trump's campaign.

The chief executive of Continental Resources (CLR.N ) would be the first U.S. energy secretary drawn directly from the oil and gas industry since the cabinet position was created in 1977, a move that would jolt environmental advocates but bolster Trump's pro-drilling energy platform.

Dan Eberhart, an oil investor and Republican financier, said he had been told by officials in Trump's campaign that Hamm, who has been an informal advisor to Trump on energy policy since at least May, was "the leading contender" for the position.

Eberhart said he had discussed the possible appointment with top donors at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland this week, where Trump was formally nominated as the party's candidate in the Nov. 8 presidential election.

Three other sources close to the Trump campaign confirmed Trump was considering Hamm for the post. One of the sources said he first heard that Hamm was a contender from Trump officials on Sunday. None of the sources was aware of who else Trump may be considering for the job.

Representatives for Trump and Hamm did not respond to a request for comment.

Addressing the convention on Wednesday night, Hamm called for expanded drilling and said too much environmental regulation threatened to limit U.S. oil production and increase the country's dependence on Middle Eastern oil producers.

"Every time we can’t drill a well in America, terrorism is being funded," Hamm told the cheering crowd. "Every onerous regulation puts American lives at risk."

Hamm, 70, became one of America's wealthiest men during the U.S. oil and gas drilling boom over the past decade, tapping into new hydraulic fracturing drilling technology to access vast deposits in North Dakota's shale fields.

Past heads of the U.S. Department of Energy, which is charged with advancing U.S. energy security and technology and dealing with nuclear waste disposal, have typically boasted a political or academic background.

This is not the first time Hamm has been in contention for the job.

The Republican Party's presidential nominee in 2012, Mitt Romney, vetted Hamm to be energy secretary but ultimately decided against him because the two men have differing positions on renewable energy sources like wind.

He made headlines in 2015 after settling a protracted divorce case and agreeing to pay his ex-wife $975 million - reported to be the biggest divorce settlement in history. His fortune is now estimated at nearly $12 billion.

"FRACKER-IN-CHIEF"

Trump, who has yet to make any announcements about his prospective cabinet, has already surrounded himself with strong advocates of traditional energy sources like oil, gas, and coal and has promised to gut environmental regulations to boost drilling and mining if elected.

He tapped U.S. Congressman Kevin Cramer of North Dakota, a climate skeptic and drilling advocate, to help draw up his campaign energy platform, and picked Indiana Governor Mike Pence, also a climate skeptic, as his running mate.

Both moves cheered the energy industry but alarmed environmental activists who say a Trump presidency would set back years of progress on issues like pollution and climate change.

"Given that Hamm's as close as we've got to a fracker-in-chief in this country, it would be an apropos pick for a president who thinks global warming is a hoax manufactured by the Chinese," said leading environmental activist Bill McKibben.

Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton has promised to bolster regulation and increase use of renewable fuels to combat climate change if elected.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN10100Z

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic