Thread: Donald Trump under oath: Trump University's promises crumble

Donald Trump under oath: Trump University's promises crumble

Donald Trump under oath: Trump University's promises crumble

The ads for his university were classic Donald Trump -- Trump stares into the camera and proclaims:

"We're going to have professors and adjunct professors that are absolutely terrific people, terrific brains, successful. We are going to have the best of the best... and these are people that are handpicked by me."

But a CNN investigation finds that Trump and others involved in the school admitted under oath that some promises made to students just didn't happen.

In Trump's own deposition this past December, Trump failed to recognize the name of a single presenter or teacher at his real estate seminars. He also confirmed he had nothing to do with the selection process of instructors who taught at the school's events or mentors for the school's "Gold Elite" programs.

A review of Trump University presenters and so-called real estate experts found many with questionable credentials and inflated resumes. Court documents show background-checks conducted during the hiring process could not determine whether some instructors even graduated high school.

Trump University brought in an estimated $40 million from up to 10,000 enrollees between 2005 and 2010, when the New York Department of Education said it was no longer allowed to call itself a university. The company changed its name to the Trump Entrepreneur Initiative and shut down in 2011.

As Trump looks ahead to the general election, criticisms and legal battles over his unlicensed university continue to chase him on the campaign trail. A ruling this month means one lawsuit filed against Trump University in California -- which could potentially have had him take the stand as he was running for president -- now won't go to trial until November 28, after the election. Two others remain pending, but all three suits argue the program defrauded students with marketing schemes built on empty promises.

As the lawsuits move forward, so do the depositions. And it is in deposition, under oath, where the truth has emerged behind Trump's university, his lack of involvement in the school's curriculum and his lack of knowledge about who was hired to teach what was advertised as "Trump's Secrets" to real estate success.

The depositions were given by Trump and his former president of Trump University, businessman Michael Sexton. Sexton came up with the idea in 2004 to put Donald Trump's brand on a real estate education seminar that was initially just online.

In a deposition for a lawsuit filed in New York, Sexton describes how he took the idea to Donald Trump through an intermediary and how Trump became so impressed with the business model, the billionaire invested $3 million and took a controlling interest. Sexton would be paid $250,000 a year to run the program, along with a cut of the profits.

New York's Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who is leading one of three lawsuits against Donald Trump and the defunct university, told CNN that Trump University was a "scam."

Schneiderman points to promotional videos made by Donald Trump in which Trump promises an education taught by his personal handpicked experts to teach Trump's exclusive methods for making money in real estate. Schneiderman insists Trump and Sexton contradict those claims when they are under oath.

"There wasn't one part of his pitch that was actually true," Schneiderman told CNN.

In a recently released deposition taken on July 25, 2012, Sexton, stated under oath: "None of our instructors at the live events were handpicked by Donald Trump."

Asked by attorneys if anyone at the Trump Organization was involved in the curriculum for the three-day real estate workshops, Sexton answered, "No."

Sexton confirmed Trump's lack of involvement in producing or reviewing the material used in the workshops. And on the specific promise of teaching Donald Trump's "proven secrets" in real estate, Sexton testified that the course taught strategies on how to invest in foreclosures, which Trump has used in the past.

"Mr. Trump has made investments with foreclosures. We cover investing with foreclosures," Sexton said.

Sexton testified Trump did have direct involvement in one part of the program -- advertising.

"He personally approved all the ads that were in newspapers," Sexton testified.

Sexton has not responded to CNN's multiple requests for comment.
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/27/news...ity/index.html
    I dont think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president, he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Hes the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like Trump. As someone who likes Trump nothing this article said would change my mind.

I like him because he fights like no one fought before in politics. He is un-apologetically america first. That is enough for me to support him. He tells people like Obama and the Pope off when they confront him. He defends his people. He is pushing through policies that many people feeding at the tit of the government do not like.

So when you get some evidence that he is not America first and that he does not piss off parasites we can talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

Trump University brought in an estimated $40 million from up to 10,000 enrollees between 2005 and 2010,
    So...$4000 per head?

so what law was violated? All universities are gonna promise a good education. Seems like someone didn't do their due diligence and believed the hype and are now butt hurt that they are still poor.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    so what law was violated? All universities are gonna promise a good education. Seems like someone didn't do their due diligence and believed the hype and are now butt hurt that they are still poor.
    It's a civil case for fraud.
    I dont think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president, he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Hes the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It's a civil case for fraud.
    Interesting timing. I'm sure it's not politically-motivated at all. Nah, that couldn't be.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Interesting timing. I'm sure it's not politically-motivated at all. Nah, that couldn't be.
    Some of the lawsuits were filed back as far as 2010. That's even before Trump said that he might run 3rd party if Ron Paul was to be nominated. I have no idea when this last one started.

Tarla Makaeff filed the lawsuit in 2010 claiming that Trump University defrauded students and made false promises
    http://fortune.com/2016/03/13/trump-university-lawsuit/

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    I like Trump. As someone who likes Trump nothing this article said would change my mind.
    That goes without saying.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump attacks 'Mexican' judge in Trump U lawsuit

Over the course of 12 minutes, Donald Trump used a campaign rally in San Diego on Friday night to lace into the judge overseeing a lawsuit over Trump University, calling him a “hater” and speculating about his ethnicity.

“The trial is going to take place sometime in November. There should be no trial. This should have been dismissed on summary judgment easily,” Trump said. “Everybody says it, but I have a judge who is a hater of Donald Trump, a hater. He’s a hater. His name is Gonzalo Curiel.”

Several lawsuits — two in federal court in San Diego and one in state court in New York — allege that Trump’s now-defunct real estate school, Trump University, made false claims about instructors’ experience. Trump has already acknowledged in a deposition that he did not hand-pick the teachers, as marketing materials claimed, though he insists the program was valuable.

"They actually did a very good job, but I've won most of the lawsuits," he said during a GOP debate in February.

Since then, Trump has repeatedly attacked Curiel and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, claiming the former is "Spanish" and the latter is out to get him for electoral gain.

At Friday night's rally, he got more specific, telling the crowd he believes Curiel — who was born in the United States — is Mexican.

“The judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great, I think that’s fine,” Trump said, according to the LA Times. “You know what? I think the Mexicans are going to end up loving Donald Trump when I give all these jobs, OK?”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-curiel-223684