Thread: Rand Paul Refuses to Vote Without Reading the Bill

Rand Paul Refuses to Vote Without Reading the Bill

Here's the whole problem, people are now saying please regulate us and then when they get over regulated they say please stop regulating us. We should take the time to read the bills, we should take the time to understand the bills, so i will continue to object until we've had time to look at the bill thoroughly! With that I object!
    Senator Paul objected to the passage of HR 2576. Senator Rand Paul is objecting because he believes lawmakers should read legislation before voting on it. This legislation is being unnecessarily rushed without an opportunity for review.

YOU TELL EM RAND! MAKE THEM READ AND PAY THE BILLS!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Saw this earlier, thank you rand.

While I'm glad now, where was this intense content curiosity over the last six years?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    While I'm glad now, where was this intense content curiosity over the last six years?
    You seriously have not heard Randal make this same argument MANY times over the past six years? Hell, he has submitted legislation on the subject multiple times. It is a standard part of his stump speech.

It isn't happening, though. Bills are going right through. Clearly just speechifying is not getting the job done. If he could build a coalition of senators who also agree not to vote on unread bills, that would be something. At some point he needs to stop talking to groups and start talking to individuals. It takes longer, but at least he'd know who's with him.

People should have gotten a clue after Nancy's "We have to pass it before we can know what's in it."
    #NashvilleStrong

It isn't happening, though. Bills are going right through. Clearly just speechifying is not getting the job done. If he could build a coalition of senators who also agree not to vote on unread bills, that would be something. At some point he needs to stop talking to groups and start talking to individuals. It takes longer, but at least he'd know who's with him.

People should have gotten a clue after Nancy's "We have to pass it before we can know what's in it."
    I'm guessing he has tried that; but at the same time he's probably asking all of the American people to contact their senators and asking them to join him. Unless their constituents demand it of them, why should Randal bother. There isn't much else he can do; unless you want him to take an AK to the senate floor Camacho style.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-27-2016 at 07:42 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm guessing he has tried that; but at the same time he's probably asking all of the American people to contact their senators and asking them to join him. Unless their constituents demand it of them, why should Randal bother. There isn't much else he can do; unless you want him to take an AK to the senate floor Camacho style.
    You are guessing. You can't prove it. He may well have tried it, but this is the first I've heard of it. I have not seen the first word come through my FB news feed about it. He has enough people following him that he could get word out pretty easily.

One other thing: A lot of people here like to dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with them 100%. I think this is a mistake. Carly Fiorina talked about having a 3 page tax code. I think all legislation should be three pages or less. But now she has no platform because she was tossed aside. If Rand had joined her on that point, there might have been some decent discourse on the necessity of rethinking the cumbersome legalspeak that is vomited out of Washington.

Rand won't get his message out if he keeps being the lone wolf.
    #NashvilleStrong

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I hope Rand does this for every single bill that he isn't given time to read.

The federal government can't buy a toilet seat without taking 6 months to study, but they want to create new laws to put people in prison in 2 days. Nonsense.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

You are guessing. You can't prove it. He may well have tried it, but this is the first I've heard of it. I have not seen the first word come through my FB news feed about it. He has enough people following him that he could get word out pretty easily.

One other thing: A lot of people here like to dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with them 100%. I think this is a mistake. Carly Fiorina talked about having a 3 page tax code. I think all legislation should be three pages or less. But now she has no platform because she was tossed aside. If Rand had joined her on that point, there might have been some decent discourse on the necessity of rethinking the cumbersome legalspeak that is vomited out of Washington.

Is Rand part of the deception system? Hey, there is somebody who fights for me in congress. He is not very effective but at least my voice is heard. It doesn't matter the other 99 senators do not give a damn about what this guys says but he makes me feel better. I am soooo relieved.

What planet do you live on?

Rand does something crucial to good government and you are knocking him because most of the corrupt senate isn't backing him? How often was Ron Paul the lone voice- yet look how many lives he changed.

BTW- Mike Lee supports and backs Rand on many occasions- even the hated Ted Cruz has.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    What planet do you live on?

Rand does something crucial to good government and you are knocking him because most of the corrupt senate isn't backing him? How often was Ron Paul the lone voice- yet look how many lives he changed.

BTW- Mike Lee supports and backs Rand on many occasions- even the hated Ted Cruz has.
    Esp on the vote for Audit the Fed bill.
    With friends like these who needs enemies?
    Last edited by timosman; 05-27-2016 at 09:37 AM.

I'm "guessing" because I don't prowl the halls and backrooms of the Senate, sure. But one would have to be willfully ignoring Randal all these years to not hear his message of trying to find "compromise" and form alliances even with people he disagrees with on many other issues. Are you serious!? Randal has coauthored and cosponsored legislation a crapload of legislation with people he is completely opposed to very often, on the issues they do agree on. I'm wondering if you have followed him at all these past 5 years.

I have followed him. I think he is not making the most of his opportunities.
    #NashvilleStrong

The Grand New—and Old—Party
    Rand Paul compares Capitol Hill to the Soviet Politburo. Other Senate newcomers include Washington veterans like Roy Blunt.

By Matthew Kaminski
    Updated Nov. 6, 2010 12:01 a.m. ET
    A 'Crazy' Reformer

Bowling Green, Ky.

'I don't plan on being bashful," says the next junior senator from Kentucky with an ever-so-mild drawl. "I'm not someone who's sort of still trying to figure out what I believe in. I don't think I'm really open to having Washington change me."

The morning after the election, Rand Paul's suite at the Holiday Inn is littered with Mello Yello and Dr. Pepper cans, a day-old fruit plate and mostly-finished plastic cups of wine. He's been up since before dawn, hitting the national morning news shows, and by 8 a.m. his voice is hoarse and his face looks drawn. In a few hours, Mr. Paul will be off on vacation, "at an undisclosed location," but not before he can send his future colleagues a message. He may be the lone pure tea party stalwart to enter the Senate, but he represents the new zeitgeist on the American right. Don't count on him to sit quietly in the back benches.

His first speech on the floor, he promises, will be on "the out-of-control deficit." But since, "as Mark Twain said about the weather, that everybody is talking about it and nobody is doing anything about it," Mr. Paul plans in his first legislative act to introduce a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced federal budget. And, he adds, he'll force a vote on it, too: "People don't like to vote against something that's so incredibly popular." He also wants to look hard at steep cuts in defense and entitlements, the largest chunks of federal outlays, and in one swoop antagonize many Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

Next on his docket are term limits. He jokes that the Soviet Politburo saw more turnover than Capitol Hill. He also wants to "sunset" all regulations until approved by Congress. "Let them write all the regulations they want," he says. "They do anyway, but in two years they're gone unless they get voted on by Congress."

Another tea party favorite is the Read the Bills Act, which he's keen to move on. He wants a "one-day waiting period for every 20 pages" of a proposed bill. I must betray a smile. "People laugh," he says. "But they need smaller bills and they need time to read bills." This is supposed to be an incentive.

He says that the public stands behind this reformist agenda. Tuesday's Republican sweep, he says, reflects "concerns about the debt and . . . an out-of-touch Washington."
    Fresh faces in the Senate: Roy Blunt from Missouri (left), and Rand Paul from Kentucky. ENLARGE
    Fresh faces in the Senate: Roy Blunt from Missouri (left), and Rand Paul from Kentucky. Terry Shoffner

Yet other prominent tea party candidates—Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell and Ken Buck—failed in their Senate bids. Mr. Paul doesn't blame the tea party, or anyone else, for their losses, except to note that the election in Nevada was all about Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid's "power of incumbency." Other new faces who'll join Mr. Paul in the Senate include businessman Ron Johnson in Wisconsin, who got his start at a tea party rally but didn't embrace the movement to the same degree. Marco Rubio served in the Florida state house for nearly a decade and considers himself above all a Republican.

Mr. Paul puts "the movement" (in his words) above partisan loyalties. "I'm somebody who believes that the issues are more important than the party," he says. "People in the tea party will tell you that the movement is about equal parts chastisement to both parties. You'll often hear that Republicans doubled the debt and Democrats tripled the debt."

Rand Paul comes with softer edges than his father, Ron Paul, who first won a seat in Congress in 1976. The difference was apparent on election night. At the convention hall next to the Holiday Inn, here in Mr. Paul's hometown, Rep. Paul introduced his son by Skype, hailing him as a politician "who stands for something" and is supported by a movement that is vigorous because "it is outside the party." No note of compromise with the Republican establishment there.

Father and son, age 47, have different styles. Asked what he wanted to do in Washington in a Wednesday morning television interview, the senator-elect said that his kids were hoping to meet the Obama girls. He has made other concessions to the mainstream. He now avoids his dad's talk of shuttering the Federal Reserve and abolishing the income tax. In a bigger shift from his campaign pledge to end earmarks, he tells me that they are a bad "symbol" of easy spending but that he will fight for Kentucky's share of earmarks and federal pork, as long as it's doled out transparently at the committee level and not parachuted in in the dead of night. "I will advocate for Kentucky's interests," he says.

So you're not a crazy libertarian? "Not that crazy," he cracks.

Soon after his surprise primary win this spring, Mr. Paul nearly self-destructed. He mused about the constitutionality of the 1964 Civil Rights Act on MSNBC, looking extreme and, to some, racist. He then cut back on national interviews, regrouped and duked it out in a hard-hitting campaign. In the end he won by 12 points over state Attorney General Jack Conway.

The Republican leadership, which shunned him, now makes nice. One of the first congratulatory calls came from senior Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Republican Senate leader. Though Mr. McConnell backed the other candidate in the primary, Mr. Paul says that "people will be surprised that we actually get along and do many things together." As for the GOP leadership, "They're all saying they want new blood up there. They think that I'll be a refreshing face. They might just be being polite, but I take them sincerely."

Mr. Paul says he thinks that Republicans, tea party enthusiasts and even Democrats can make this all work if they form creative "coalitions" behind the changes that the public seems to demand. He brings a message of government reform and could yet find his niche in the chamber. Alternatively, Mr. Paul may end up short of friends, with many a lonely night ahead.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...96591626268782
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Amen.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Esp on the vote for Audit the Fed bill.
    With friends like these who needs enemies?
    Makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall. WTH?
    There is no spoon.

Easier said than done. Rand has built coalitions before but you already know that since you follow him, the unfortunate fact about Congress is most of those people don't care. They care about getting reelected, so if they got shamed into supporting it maybe they'd care but then I'm sure they'll find a way to make it a partisan issue just like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I hope Rand does this for every single bill that he isn't given time to read.

The federal government can't buy a toilet seat without taking 6 months to study, but they want to create new laws to put people in prison in 2 days. Nonsense.
    Even he does not have the time to read every bill in its entirety. It is impossible. There are probably many bills he has voted on without reading the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Even he does not have the time to read every bill in its entirety. It is impossible. There are probably many bills he has voted on without reading the entire thing.
    To be fair, he doesn't need to read the entire thing in order to decide to vote No. But I'd wager he has read everything completely that he has voted Yes on.

People on this forum are against bills they didn't read all the time.

How many people here have read the patriot act? Probably zero. For all you know, it might be a great bill.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Rand brought this up for accountability purposes. He is trying to change the culture in Washington, he wants people to be held accountable if they vote for something they didn't read because they didn't do their job. They rush stuff through like this and then they get to blame it on not having enough time to read it.

How can you not know that Rand has been promoting Read the Bills (the name of his recurrent legislation) for years?

How can you actually think it hasn't occurred to Rand to ask other Senators to support him?

How can you have the temerity to praise Trump, whose policies are horrible, and criticize Rand for having only 1 vote to cast for his good policies?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most of them have policy staffers who do the bulk of that reading; they can distill it down to a summary, and know which parts are "good" or "bad". But if someone drops a 2,000 page bill in the morning that is supposed to go for a vote in the next 1 or 2 days, they're not going to have time to go through all of that.

The lazy ones will just ask around and see what others are saying about it.
    Last edited by CPUd; 05-27-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul