Thread: Hillary Wants You to Drive 55… Again

Exclamation Hillary Wants You to Drive 55… Again

Hillary Wants You to Drive 55… Again

http://ericpetersautos.com/2016/05/2...ants-drive-55/

by eric • May 24, 2016 • 75 Comments

Donald Trump doesn’t want to Drive 55 – but Hillary does.

Well, she wants us to drive 55.

The Dear Leader’s armored limo, of course, is not subject to any speed limits.

They are for the Little People (that’s us) only.

And if Hillary becomes Dear Leader, we may be driving 55 again.

Here she goes: “The 55 mile speed limit really does lower gas usage. And wherever it can be required, and the people will accept it, we ought to do it.” She uttered this ten years ago almost to the day – May 24th, 2006 – at the National Press Club in Washington, DC (see here.)

You have glimpsed the Heart of Darkness.

But – to paraphrase Tonto’s quip to the Lone Ranger – What do you mean we, white man? Er… woman. Sort of.

She really means her telling us how fast we’ll be allowed to drive.

Which is not very.

To “save gas.”speed limit sign

Except, of course, that we’ll be fined for “speeding” and our perfectly reasonable driving characterized as “unsafe” rather than merely fuel-inefficient. Our driving records will be marred with demerit points and these will be used to justify sticking it to us again (so much for double jeopardy) via jacked-up car insurance premiums.

This is how it was for some 20 years, from 1974 to 1995 – when the maximum legal speed in the United States was 55 MPH.

Those who lived through this evil epoch will recall the misery – and the idiocy. Imagine what it was like to drive 20 MPH below the current routine average lawful speed on most highways. Twenty miles per hour below the speed that had been lawful prior to the passage of this fuel economy fatwa (that was enforced as a “safety” issue).

Not only was it miserable (per Sammy Hagar, what used to take two hours now takes all day) and stupid and – yes – wasteful (of time at least and also of gas, bear with me for a moment) it was also corrupting beyond calculation. While there always has been a certain degree of “revenue collection” inherent in speed enforcement, the Double Nickel was about little else.

Motorists were dunned for operating at speeds that had been lawful previously – on highways specifically designed for higher speeds decades prior (back in the ‘50s). Cops charged with enforcing the new fatwa knew perfectly well it was absurd – but this did not prevent them from enforcing it. We knew it was a farce, but that did not help our mood much when we got pulled over for “speeding” and had to play patty-cake with the cop.

If cops are (rightly) despised today as little more than roving tax collectors, the passage of the National Maximum Speed Limit (as Drive 55 was officially known) was arguably the source waters of that contempt. Millions of dollars in outright legal rape was countenanced.

And even though the NMSL was finally repealed in the mid-‘90s (the one solid done by Republicans in my lifetime) no refunds were issued… and the canker persists.

While highway speed limits have mostly returned to their circa 1970 maximums (how about taking into account that it’s 2016 – and today’s cars are probably capable of safe operation at speeds higher than those allowed circa 1970?) the farce is still in force on most secondary roads.

Absurdly low speed limits – evidence of their absurdity being that almost everyone exceeds them routinely, cops included, which tell us either the limits are absurd or most people – including cops – are reckless maniacs; which you do you suppose it is? – continue to be the rule rather than exception.

And are enforced with the same cynical viciousness.

That is the legacy of the NMSL.

Oh, and about this “saving gas” business… .

In the first place, didn’t we buy the damn gas? Isn’t it ours to use as we please once we paid for it? Few things strike me as more obnoxious than being told how to use the fuel I paid for by a sour-faced termagant like Hillary. She has every right to use the fuel she purchased as she sees fit – and you and I have exactly the same right.

What’s next? Will we be told how much of a Snicker’s bar we’re allowed to eat at one time?

In the second place, unreasonable speed limits (and enforcement thereof) waste fuel by interfering with the smooth flow of traffic. Cars bunch up and suddenly everyone has to hit the brakes because up ahead, there’s a cop in a cut-out. Then everyone has to accelerate again, which – wait for it – wastes gas.

The Drive 55 crowd will crow back that if only everyone would obey the speed limit, this problem would not exist. But people tend not to obey absurd laws – whether Drive 55 or Prohibition or decrees forbidding consensual acts between adults. Such laws only serve to criminalize the general population and then terrorize them for their “crimes.”

It creates a low-grade Soviet out of what was once a reasonably free country.

Also, modern cars are not optimized for 55.

Many now come with seven, eight and nine-speed transmissions – with multiple overdrive gears. A 55 MPH maximum would render the top several gears of modern transmissions useless; the engine would lug (and a lugging engine wastes fuel) if the transmission shifted up past fourth or fifth.

Modern cars – anything built since the ’90s – are designed for efficient high-speed operation and deliver better mileage at 80 than most cars of 1970 did at 30.

This is not an exaggeration.

Of course, it does not matter to a creature such as Hillary, who sees herself as Our Parent, to scold and direct and – if we are disobedient – to punish.

Feed her fish heads.

There are many reasons to dread a Hillary Dear Leadership – from a certain cementing of government-insurance mafia tributum (and micromanagement of every aspect of our lives) via Obamacare’s not being repealed to the high probability of a Clinton-packed Supreme Court issuing a fatwa that the people do not, in fact, have a right to possess arms.

We know where Hillary stands on all these things.

Now you know where she stands on “speeding.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is plenty of money to be made changing road signs!

You missed a good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    She looks more like Nixon every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    You're not kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I won't do it.

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    I won't do it.
    It's just the eastern states trying to screw the western states. Again.

Considering Clinton was first lady of a western state, and would be screwing her own people, well, it just goes to show what a sweetheart she is.

And few will do it, if history is any indication. The 55 mph speed limit probably did more than any other single piece of legislation since Prohibition to convince Americans that their rulers are asses, and no one should listen to them at all. And she knows that. She also knows it got more vehicles searched than any other piece of legislation ever.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

It's just the eastern states trying to screw the western states. Again.

Considering Clinton was first lady of a western state, and would be screwing her own people, well, it just goes to show what a sweetheart she is.

And few will do it, if history is any indication. The 55 mph speed limit probably did more than any other single piece of legislation since Prohibition to convince Americans that their rulers are asses, and no one should listen to them at all. And she knows that. She also knows it got more vehicles searched than any other piece of legislation ever.
    Arkansas is a western state? I'll be daggumed. Out here in the Sun Belt west it's considered midwest or east, depending on who you ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Arkansas is a western state? I'll be daggumed. Out here in the Sun Belt west it's considered midwest or east, depending on who you ask.
    Yeah, there is evolution in that. When I was a kid, a state had to be right on the Atlantic to be eastern. The system remained in place from the days when the Atlantic Seaboard was everything and all viewpoints were their viewpoints. Thus, the states between those states and the Mississippi were the Midwest, and those between the Mississippi and the Roçkies the Plains States, which were the first tier of Western States. Remember that the Gateway Arch of St. Louis is called that because St. Louis was the Gateway to the West.

Dodge City was once the Western Frontier, yet it is nearly exactly the same distance from New York and San Francisco. Remember that Southwestern Bell was the Ma Bell division that served Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. That was very much considered the Southwest. California, of course, was a Left Coast State, and then as now, the Land of Fruits and Nuts. Might as well be a different planet.

One of the reasons the hiway toll went up during the 'safety years' of the Double Nickel is no one wanted to drive 55, but some particularly law-abiding people did anyway. And on a high speed roadway like an Interstate, it isn't speed that kills, but variations in speed. Someone doing 30 might as well be parked, for the amount of danger they pose. And someone doing 55 is hardly less dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Little break from the Trump threads. Motor vehicle deaths have been declining nation wide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_U.S._by_year
    You think your job is tough, imagine the hell I gave the shills who were trying to sell the 55 mph speed limit as a safety measure. You know, that unconstitutional 'do it or we cut off your highway funding' "federal speed limit" which is in no small part responsible for that peak between 1973-1981 or so.

People were so bored behind the wheel they were getting hypnotized and driving off the road. Or they were spending more time looking for cops than all other road hazards combined. Now, those shills got roasted.

There was this little government-funded study called The Sullivan Report that got leaked by a magazine for independent truckers named Overdrive...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-25-2016 at 08:01 PM.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I drive around 60 or 70 anywhere I go , my F150 does not even kick into high gear and level off smoothly until about 60 .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I drive around 60 or 70 anywhere I go , my F150 does not even kick into high gear and level off smoothly until about 60 .
    Yeah, but you live in the country.

I do, too, but I live in the city.

I live on an island and try and drive as fast as I can safely. This can vary from 25-100. My last speeding ticket was for 58 in a 45(speed trap) but the one before was 91 in a 55. They are going to raise the speed limit to 60 on that road now, the police protested for safety despite no accidents, maybe it has something to do with the $300k they made in speeding tickets up there last year. I one time got 3 seat belt tickets in a year, I've never had a car accident.

Enjoy it while you can.

Judging from the latest in PBS propaganda, the liberals don't think any island should have any cars at all. Apparently they believe in pedambulances.

The endgame is to take away individual cars from all mundanes. The elite will have limos and helicopters. For the peons it will be cattle cars that frequently break-down or are delayed, squeezed in like sardines with insane people, criminals and every transmittable disease known and unknown to man.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If 55 saves lives and fuel, why not lower it to 45 or better yet, 35?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Don't give them any ideas! They would rather see you crawl on your hands and knees--this way you're lower to the ground, you can't get hurt when you fall.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The endgame is to take away individual cars from all mundanes. The elite will have limos and helicopters. For the peons it will be cattle cars that frequently break-down or are delayed, squeezed in like sardines with insane people, criminals and every transmittable disease known and unknown to man.
    I believe this to be true. That is their desire. But just how am I going to get a couple large compressors, a texture machine and a bunch of buckets on one of those? Or if I'm hanging that day a panel lift, bench, screwgun, bags etc.? Not to mention sheetrock? Will only state licensed government approved delivery organizations be allowed to deliver materials to the jobsite?
    "The Patriarch"

I like your thinking comrade, this is progressive and innovative.

The rest of you are not being safe enough and you need to safen up.

If 50 is safe, 25 is twice as safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I like your thinking comrade, this is progressive and innovative.

The rest of you are not being safe enough and you need to safen up.

If 50 is safe, 25 is twice as safe.
    If we can land a man on the moon, we can land a man on the sun.

I'm so sick of these control freak morons.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I believe this to be true. That is their desire. But just how am I going to get a couple large compressors, a texture machine and a bunch of buckets on one of those? Or if I'm hanging that day a panel lift, bench, screwgun, bags etc.? Not to mention sheetrock? Will only state licensed government approved delivery organizations be allowed to deliver materials to the jobsite?
    Once all of the mundanes are off the road, it will be much easier to track and control who is on the road. State licensing is a possible neo-progressive solution to construction transportation. Or the good old reliable state-run solution. Make everyone involved a state employee. Just like health-care.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I believe they may already be teaching that to recent immigrants.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    55 everywhere?

I don't know what the heck is wrong with these people.

If I didn't drive 80 on the interstate it would take ages to get to work.

And less fun ....
    The most important element of a free society, where individual rights are held in the highest esteem, is the rejection of the initiation of violence.

RON PAUL

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I believe they may already be teaching that to recent immigrants.
    You mean they take class for that $#@!?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You mean they take class for that $#@!?
    Saw someone in a brand new Mercedes run straight into an island on a dedicated right turn lane the other day. Slow speed, obviously a new driver. Gotta shake your head.

It turns into a long on-ramp to an Expressway, where every once and a while, new drivers come to a dead stop at the end of the acceleration lane (divided by curb/island) so they can "merge". Guess they think they have to stop when the divider ends. Number one rule around here, never take your eyes off the person in front of you, because they can and do come to complete stops at any time. Even freeways.

Our military escapades probably consume 10 times more fuel than all US highway drivers combined, much less considering the consumption delta between 75 and 55. If that b!tch wants to save fuel, why not bring the troops home?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

This, from a woman who committed treason for her own personal convenience. My time and convenience are a more valuable commodity than hers because I don't have dozens of aides jumping at the smallest whim. I need more time and convenience than she does because I am forced to support her, not the other way around.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi