Thread: The End of The Ketogenic Diet

The End of The Ketogenic Diet

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow am I glad I watched that! Now I know that those 80#'s were muscle and not fat. The funny thing is that I have more energy today and do more physical work after losing the weight and have become stronger because of that activity. Overweight and obese people probably have lots of muscle mass and they should be concerned with maintaining that mass.
    Last edited by Schifference; 05-25-2016 at 04:54 PM.

There is someone at my work who I heard went keto a few months ago, they were very overweight and had some health problems now I've noticed they are looking great!!

BTW, not enough eggs and too many potatoes on that youtube pic.. let's go for a little sweet potato or maybe some non-starchy veggies?? Greens cooked in grass fed butter and garlic maybe?
    Last edited by dannno; 05-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    too many potatoes on that youtube pic.. let's go for a little sweet potato
    Replace the regular potato with one that's sweeter?!!

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Replace the regular potato with one that's sweeter?!!
    For a vegetarian, you sure don't know much about vegetables, lol..

Glycemic Load

The rate at which your body breaks down a specific type of carbohydrate influences how quickly the food raises your blood sugar levels. The glycemic load is a way of measuring this impact on your system and takes into account how many carbohydrates are in a food and how they affect your blood sugar levels. The carbohydrates in white russet potatoes have a higher glycemic load than those in sweet potatoes, thus causing your levels of blood glucose, or sugar, to rise more quickly. You can lower the glycemic index of both white and sweet potatoes by using certain cooking methods. For instance, boiling, then cooling potatoes lowers their glycemic index, especially if the cooled potatoes are then tossed with an acidic condiment like vinegar. In addition, skinless mashed potatoes have a higher glycemic index than potatoes baked whole. When possible, consume the skin, which lowers the glycemic impact.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...hite-potatoes/

Also, someone pointed out for me that the "potatoes" on the plate in the video in the OP are actually sausages
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    For a vegetarian, you sure don't know much about vegetables, lol..
    You didn't get the joke.

If you're worried about sugar spikes, saturated fat and oils make carb foods spike your insulin. Cut those fats down significantly and you don't have to worry about spikes.

As for glycemic index, I'm not sure the science is definitive about it, but from I read it's better to pay attention to the glycemic load and sweet potatoes are actually higher!

(GI/GL)
    Boiled white potato, average 82/21
    Sweet potato, average 70/22
    Yam, average 54/20
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseas..._for_100_foods

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    As for glycemic index, I'm not sure the science is definitive about it, but from I read it's better to pay attention to the glycemic load and sweet potatoes are actually higher!

(GI/GL)
    Boiled white potato, average 82/21
    Sweet potato, average 70/22
    Yam, average 54/20
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseas..._for_100_foods
    70 and 54 is higher than 82?

Either way yams and sweet potatoes definitely have a lower glycemic index than white potatoes.. that is why paleo people recommend eating sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. Both are paleo, but should be eaten in moderation due to high starch content.

Potatoes have more carbs in the form of starch, and sweet potatoes have more in the form of sugar.